Sign in to follow this  
Duffman

IS this guy for real ?

King''s Lynn boss Carl Heggs yesterday came out fighting after a second consecutive Unibond Premier Division defeat. Heggs''

is ready to overhaul a defence that has now shipped six league goals

following Tuesday''s late 3-2 defeat at Matlock. Back up keeper Dan

Whatsize was released after the latest defeat and the Linnets'' chief

hinted further changes are in the pipeline.“I have to make some tough

decisions and change it around at the back,” said Heggs. “I''ve got to

find a suitable back four plus the keeper so I either leave them to put

it right - which I''m not sure they are capable of doing - or make a

tough decision and drop somebody. I''m trying to bring someone in

because I need an experienced centre half and we just need to tweak one

or two areas. Going forward we are good side but since I''ve come to the

football club we''ve not kept a clean sheet. To concede six in two

league games is nowhere near good enough.“Dan wants first team

football and getting rid of him frees up money for me to go and wheel

and deal, so it suits both parties. I''ll go with no goalkeeper on the

bench for now. It''s a gamble and the way things are going my keeper

will probably do his hamstring after 20 minutes in the next game but

I''d rather see it as a positive move.”Heggs slammed his side''s soft centre after slipping to defeat in the Derbyshire Dales.“My

two centre halves and keeper let the rest of the lads down,” he said.

“I thought we were the best side in the first half by a million miles.

They''ve had one shot and my keeper parries it into the goal. If he gets

one hand on that then I expect him to save it - especially someone who

has played 70 odd Football League games although Craig (McAughtrie) was

slow in reacting to the ball over the top.“My keeper made some

great saves after the break but for the winner if he can''t catch it

then put it into an area that isn''t dangerous. Don''t let it slip

through your grasp so someone can tap it in. Three individual mistakes

have cost us.”Heggs also omitted assistant player/boss Andy Johnson as he looked to find a winning formula after opening day defeat.“A

manager has to make difficult decisions,” he said. “I have an

obligation to get it right, for my board and my supporters. Jonno is

just off the pace at the minute but he has had a great career. Right

now I have to decide do I play him to keep him happy or do what is best

for the team. Listen, I''m not going to bury my head in the sand and

hope we get it right. This football club was dead and buried when I

arrived. “The doom and gloom was like a cancer running through

the place. I spoke to three experienced managers and they all said what

do I want that job for? It needed a lift, a boost, a clean slate. This

is a great football club with a big support desperate to explode but

they needed to breathe fresh air.” Heggs is adamant he will get things right.“I''m

not arrogant or cocky but I had to come in and sell the football club,”

he said. “That is how we could get the likes of Gareth Sheldon. I had

to shout from the rooftops about what we want to achieve but when you

do that you put yourself up to be shot at. I knew I was putting myself

on a pedestal getting rid of all the old players and starting something

fresh, a new era.“I could be like other managers and say we

need time to consolidate and gel, but it''s been two games. Just give me

a chance. I don''t fear the sack, I''ll walk out myself and say it hasn''t

worked - but it won''t be for the want of trying.”

His newspaper quotes are absolutely brilliant. Personally I''d love him to manage in the Premier League as the entertainment he would provide would be huge. Some of his pre-season quotes were awesome.

[quote user="Herb"]Gunn to replace him by Xmas. You heard it here first!
[/quote]

Already said this a few days ago

Surely the only way that you can talk like this, is when you have achieved something as a manager. Even then it is probably wiser to keep your views to the dressing room. Glenn Roeder found out the hard way that you should not make public statements of this nature. The last manager to succeed without staying quiet was Brian Clough and it is doubtful that he would have the same success today. Carl Heggs reminds me of  the former Orient boss, John Sittern (Query spelling) who was featured in a famous TV documentary years ago and who opened his Gob so much he disappeared shortly after, never to be seen again.  I really hope that Kings Lynn succeed, the club seems to have a habit of nearly making it, only for something to go wrong. I would also love to see Carl Heggs succeed, he really is entertaining isn''t he!

[quote user="John Morlar"]Surely the only way that you can talk like this, is when you have achieved something as a manager. Even then it is probably wiser to keep your views to the dressing room. Glenn Roeder found out the hard way that you should not make public statements of this nature. The last manager to succeed without staying quiet was Brian Clough and it is doubtful that he would have the same success today. Carl Heggs reminds me of  the former Orient boss, John Sittern (Query spelling) who was featured in a famous TV documentary years ago and who opened his Gob so much he disappeared shortly after, never to be seen again.  I really hope that Kings Lynn succeed, the club seems to have a habit of nearly making it, only for something to go wrong. I would also love to see Carl Heggs succeed, he really is entertaining isn''t he![/quote]Except that Clough never pulled his players to pieces in public. You would think this Heggs bloke would know that doing so will not exactly endear him to the players, he really hasn''t got a hope has he.

[quote user="Sports Desk - Pete"]If memory serves he said if he lost the first five games he''d be off....[/quote]Where on earth did he come from in the first place?.

I feel just feel very sorry for the long-suffering KL fans. This guy has come in, torn the previous squad to shreds turfing out players who had KL running through their veins with hundreds of games behind them leaving only Andy Johnson from last year''s squad. He''s recruited players almost exclusively from the Midlands so they can train in that part of the world twice a week and just turn up to The Walks for home games. I just hope the Board knows what it has done in appointing this gobby individual because if this goes bosoms up I fear for the future of KLFC with all the other problems they''ve had in the last few months.

[quote user="Barry Brockes"]I feel just feel very sorry for the long-suffering KL fans. This guy has come in, torn the previous squad to shreds turfing out players who had KL running through their veins with hundreds of games behind them leaving only Andy Johnson from last year''s squad. He''s recruited players almost exclusively from the Midlands so they can train in that part of the world twice a week and just turn up to The Walks for home games. I just hope the Board knows what it has done in appointing this gobby individual because if this goes bosoms up I fear for the future of KLFC with all the other problems they''ve had in the last few months.[/quote]So all the players train in the Midlands, does anyone train at KL?.

[quote user="Sports Desk - Pete"]If memory serves he said if he lost the first five games he''d be off....[/quote]The players are clearly trying to get him out at the momen then. haha

Strangely Carl Heggs appears on Wikipedia and it shows that after a league career that started at West Brom in the early 90''s he finished up at Redditch Utd as player coach. With regards Brian Clough not slagging players off in public, can anyone remember how he treated Justin Fashanu ?

I don''t know the specific details but I gained the impression that Heggs has set up a training base in the Midlands and that''s where the squad train twice a week. I may be wwrong but I didn''t think there was any traning at KL.

The sports guys at the Lynn News absolutely love him, because he''s likely to say absolutely anything at any time!

[quote user="John Morlar"]

Strangely Carl Heggs appears on Wikipedia and it shows that after a league career that started at West Brom in the early 90''s he finished up at Redditch Utd as player coach. With regards Brian Clough not slagging players off in public, can anyone remember how he treated Justin Fashanu ?

[/quote]Yes there was something with Fashanu but really cannot recollect anything else where he alienated his players. Ex-players had only good things to say about him.

You must admit this Heggs bloke is a bit of a one-off though.