Sign in to follow this  
TheGoogler

The Colchester fans I've encountered recently are the biggest bunch of whingers in football

Now, firstly a few caveats to hopefully stop this thread being closed quicker than you can blink.

Firstly I, of course, recognise that not all Colchester fans are whingers and I am specifically talking about a select minority - the specific minority who have come on to this forum and hae approached me recently. Camul and the vast majority are, I''m sure, great people and a credit to football.

But others just seem to think Norwich are now scum of the earth. The ones who visit this forum, the numerous of people on the official Colchester Utd message board who seem to think we''re now evil incarnate.

I met two or three on a train the other day with whom I, shall we say, had a rather interesting exchanging of views on how "clubs like Norwich are ruining football". Football was ruined long before Norwich pinched Paul Lambert from Colchester, my friends. Today, and my inspiration for this post, I''ve just had a text from an old acquaintance I''ve barely spoken to. Again, a Colchester fan. "Expected better from a club like Norwich".

I don''t wish to fan further flames - but Colchester fans really should realise that to us, they''re just another opponent. Our rivals are, and will always be, Ipswich and Wolves. Despite the divisional difference, that won''t change. Yes, they beat us 7-1 - and some seem to treat this as their best result ever - one guy on the Colchester forum has a picture of the scoreboard in his signature. That''s nice. Really is. But the thing is we beat them a couple of seasons back 5-1 - to us, that was nothing. And that''s because, like I said, Colchester to us, are nothing.

Frankly, their attitude and reaction has surprised me. I think they''ve massively overreacted about the whole Paul Lambert matter. Managers come and go - it''s a fact of football. I wish them well both in the search for a new manager and the rest of the season and look forward to the return leg at their place, when perhaps a better organised and better equipped Norwich City can give them a bit more decent a football match. We can but hope.

Has anyone else been rather surprised by their reaction? Or had any grief from Colchester fans?

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"]I''d say if we nurture this situation well we could add Colchester to Ipswich as bitter rivals for a long time to come.[/quote]Colchester have always won us over with the cry: "We hate Ipswich more than you....". I suggest we offer them a pre-season friendly next year as a means of compensation like we did with Dagenham. And this time Lisbie could play for us...[;)]

I''ve read plenty of posts from City fans now relishing the new hard edged Norwich City, to know that the way you went about getting Lambert was something of a departure for the club.

It''s true that the final nail of noble conduct within football was firmly in place before Lambert happened, but Norwich have always been seen as a nice club - with a moniker like Googler perhaps you could try '' "I hate Norwich City" - Ipswich '' into their engine and marvel at the three results from the entire interweb it feeds back to you. that chum is perhaps why your friend, perhaps naively, thought that you wouldn''t do this sort of thing - me, I''m not surprised at all, it is as you say typical behaviour of any club these days - especially one that has fallen so far, so rapidly.

Now, I don''t expect or want Norwich fans to have any respect or feel anything for my beloved club, although when you did beat us five - one, the relish with which your fans were singing "we''ll never play you again" and the constant "you mean nothing to us" does seem redolent of Dustin Hoffman assuring the world that he is in fact "a good driver". Anyway, you mean something to me, I''ve enjoyed many an opportunity to cheer you on in my local pub on old farm derby day, pretty much just to annoy the binners that plague my corner of North East Essex (Harwich), but also because you have been a non offensive club from a nice part of the country, but now, you also mean my best ever away day - something I will never forget, as we in turn represent your club''s worse ever home defeat - something you will try to forget.

But please, try to remember how you or others around you felt when Walker went to Everton and accept that there are just a few Colchester fans who are right now, angry enough to say things that soon enough will wish had gone unsaid.

[quote]But please, try to remember how you or others around you felt when

Walker went to Everton and accept that there are just a few Colchester

fans who are right now, angry enough to say things that soon enough

will wish had gone unsaid[/quote]I guess the anger stems from the idea that someone of value has been taken from your club, almost to the extent that the compensation due won''t really compensate effectively, Lambert and his team had just got you playing decent attacking football after all.  On that basis it''s justifiable, and oddly comforting to Norwich fans, who have seen 3 pretty much disastrous manager appointments in the last 2 seasons.The thing is that the old process we used to go through, 40 CVs on Doncasters'' desk, a week of interviews in a posh hotel, didn''t work.  An up and coming manager like Lambert wouldn''t have applied to go through that process.  The people who applied were generally out of work, which in turn means that they had failed at one point or another.  Lambert hasn''t been anywhere for more than a season, I really do wonder if he is good at turning things around short-term, but not so effective in the longer term, like Roeder, but has the common sense to quit while he''s ahead.

Because I live and work in Colchester. Several people in the office have been moaning about it!

There is no loyalty in football. (Except the likes of Terry, Giggs, Scholes, Totti) to name a few who have remained at the club for years. Even the likes of some Juventus players who when got relegated stayed with them!

I read this morning that Steve Bruce is only using Sunderland as another stepping stone! That would get up my nose! Similarly to when Ashton left us for West Ham, and sadi about using NCFC as a step for bigger things! Unlucky pal!

Lambert is probably doing the same with us now (in fact i''m sure) and when something comes up better - he will be gone before you can say Championship club calling!

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]

[quote user="blahblahblah"]Lambert hasn''t been anywhere for more than a season[/quote]

Yeah he has, he spent two seasons at Wycombe.

[/quote]I stand corrected, thanks Graham.

[quote user="jibbajabba"]I''ve read plenty of posts from City fans now relishing the new hard edged Norwich City, to know that the way you went about getting Lambert was something of a departure for the club. It''s true that the final nail of noble conduct within football was firmly in place before Lambert happened, but Norwich have always been seen as a nice club - with a moniker like Googler perhaps you could try '' "I hate Norwich City" - Ipswich '' into their engine and marvel at the three results from the entire interweb it feeds back to you. that chum is perhaps why your friend, perhaps naively, thought that you wouldn''t do this sort of thing - me, I''m not surprised at all, it is as you say typical behaviour of any club these days - especially one that has fallen so far, so rapidly. Now, I don''t expect or want Norwich fans to have any respect or feel anything for my beloved club, although when you did beat us five - one, the relish with which your fans were singing "we''ll never play you again" and the constant "you mean nothing to us" does seem redolent of Dustin Hoffman assuring the world that he is in fact "a good driver". Anyway, you mean something to me, I''ve enjoyed many an opportunity to cheer you on in my local pub on old farm derby day, pretty much just to annoy the binners that plague my corner of North East Essex (Harwich), but also because you have been a non offensive club from a nice part of the country, but now, you also mean my best ever away day - something I will never forget, as we in turn represent your club''s worse ever home defeat - something you will try to forget. But please, try to remember how you or others around you felt when Walker went to Everton and accept that there are just a few Colchester fans who are right now, angry enough to say things that soon enough will wish had gone unsaid.[/quote]

Well I, for one, still do like your club and will certainly be cheering you on when you next play the (only true) scum. It has been satisfying to see that we have developed something of a hard edge but, in my opinion, it is a shame that it was at the expense of a club that I have a lot of time for.

[quote user="jibbajabba"]I''ve read plenty of posts from City fans now relishing the new hard edged Norwich City, to know that the way you went about getting Lambert was something of a departure for the club.

It''s true that the final nail of noble conduct within football was firmly in place before Lambert happened, but Norwich have always been seen as a nice club - with a moniker like Googler perhaps you could try '' "I hate Norwich City" - Ipswich '' into their engine and marvel at the three results from the entire interweb it feeds back to you. that chum is perhaps why your friend, perhaps naively, thought that you wouldn''t do this sort of thing - me, I''m not surprised at all, it is as you say typical behaviour of any club these days - especially one that has fallen so far, so rapidly.

Now, I don''t expect or want Norwich fans to have any respect or feel anything for my beloved club, although when you did beat us five - one, the relish with which your fans were singing "we''ll never play you again" and the constant "you mean nothing to us" does seem redolent of Dustin Hoffman assuring the world that he is in fact "a good driver". Anyway, you mean something to me, I''ve enjoyed many an opportunity to cheer you on in my local pub on old farm derby day, pretty much just to annoy the binners that plague my corner of North East Essex (Harwich), but also because you have been a non offensive club from a nice part of the country, but now, you also mean my best ever away day - something I will never forget, as we in turn represent your club''s worse ever home defeat - something you will try to forget.

But please, try to remember how you or others around you felt when Walker went to Everton and accept that there are just a few Colchester fans who are right now, angry enough to say things that soon enough will wish had gone unsaid.[/quote]Great post Jibba Jabba, banter aside sums up my feelings!The "We''ll never play you again" & especially "You mean nothing to us" reminds us of Ipswich supporters.

[quote user="Youll never beat us again"][quote user="jibbajabba"]I''ve read plenty of posts from City fans now relishing the new hard edged Norwich City, to know that the way you went about getting Lambert was something of a departure for the club. It''s true that the final nail of noble conduct within football was firmly in place before Lambert happened, but Norwich have always been seen as a nice club - with a moniker like Googler perhaps you could try '' "I hate Norwich City" - Ipswich '' into their engine and marvel at the three results from the entire interweb it feeds back to you. that chum is perhaps why your friend, perhaps naively, thought that you wouldn''t do this sort of thing - me, I''m not surprised at all, it is as you say typical behaviour of any club these days - especially one that has fallen so far, so rapidly. Now, I don''t expect or want Norwich fans to have any respect or feel anything for my beloved club, although when you did beat us five - one, the relish with which your fans were singing "we''ll never play you again" and the constant "you mean nothing to us" does seem redolent of Dustin Hoffman assuring the world that he is in fact "a good driver". Anyway, you mean something to me, I''ve enjoyed many an opportunity to cheer you on in my local pub on old farm derby day, pretty much just to annoy the binners that plague my corner of North East Essex (Harwich), but also because you have been a non offensive club from a nice part of the country, but now, you also mean my best ever away day - something I will never forget, as we in turn represent your club''s worse ever home defeat - something you will try to forget. But please, try to remember how you or others around you felt when Walker went to Everton and accept that there are just a few Colchester fans who are right now, angry enough to say things that soon enough will wish had gone unsaid.[/quote]

Great post Jibba Jabba, banter aside sums up my feelings!

The "We''ll never play you again" & especially "You mean nothing to us" reminds us of Ipswich supporters.
[/quote]

Does that mean that we''re still friends then? Ha ha [:D][:D][:D]

The "We''ll never play you again" comments are exactly what I mean about overreaction. I, for one, couldn''t even remember a chant like it directed at Colchester. But I remember it sang at us at the end of last season, week in, week out.

At the end of the day, I''m 100% sure we were not the only ones to sing that song at you when you were relegated. Ask every relegated club. It''s sung every time. Even the Charlton fans at the end of the season sang, "You''re going down with the Charlton". It''s common in football. And frankly if Colchester took offence at that and are using it as another reason why Norwich are scum of the earth, then it only solidifies the idea that you are overreacting in my view.

Well I''m glad you could only find one thing to comment on, but reading what I wrote again, and the context of "we''ll never play you again". It didn''t cause offence or stop me wanting you to avoid relegation.

Norwich - scum of the earth? Yeah right, and Thora Hird''s a c**t too.

@Ted, love the perm mate, I grew up in Southampton and used to see that barnet running around Dell :-)

[quote user="jibbajabba"]Well I''m glad you could only find one thing to comment on, but reading what I wrote again, and the context of "we''ll never play you again". It didn''t cause offence or stop me wanting you to avoid relegation. Norwich - scum of the earth? Yeah right, and Thora Hird''s a c**t too. @Ted, love the perm mate, I grew up in Southampton and used to see that barnet running around Dell :-)[/quote]

The One quote from your post which I agree with is the reference to Mike walker  leaving for everton. It had indeed crossed my mind, and I agree again with the fact that this is enough to incite a reaction , which  later is possibly regretted.

My family comes from essex,so I always watch with interest how Colchester and Southend get along in their games, I wish both clubs nothing but success. However !!! Other posters are absolutely correct in saying that ...you are not the enemy ...just a rival....we have two enemies  the Scum , and wolves . You could never hate Ipshit more than  Norwich supporter...and you have inflicted our worst defeat at home , thats a fact .....................but I think I speak for a majority of Norwich fans when I say that ,,,that does not make us Hate you !! You are a rival who gave probably our worst ever team ,,, a hiding they truly deserved . But my feeling is similar to the one I would Have if my sister slapped my face !! maybe a little peeved ...but I would not have any feeling of hatred.

So well done for beating us ......................make the most of it ..............................and Hate the scum too .......we have that in common ..but we hate them more than you !!!!

Thanks for listening ......................and I enjoy reading you literate and well written posts..................it makes a change on here :)

I''d also like to point out that whilst Colchester hate Ipswich, Ipswich do not care about them at all.  Perhaps they''ve just got a chip on their shoulder because of the way both us and Ipswich think of them.

I can understand their frustration. If such a thing happened to us (as indeed it has in the past) then I''d feel pretty annoyed about it. From a City point of view I think McNally has done well in taking the club by the "scruff of the neck" as some call it and has actually plucked a manager with a better managerial track record than any of the last four appointments prior to their hiring.  If the same thing happens to us though, i.e, we win promotion and Lambert goes to a top 6 Championship side, then it''ll be interesting to see how people react to the news. I don''t think you''d get so many comments like "Oh, it''s part and parcel of football, get over it" etc.

[quote user="jibbajabba"]Well I''m glad you could only find one thing to comment on, but reading what I wrote again, and the context of "we''ll never play you again". It didn''t cause offence or stop me wanting you to avoid relegation.

Norwich - scum of the earth? Yeah right, and Thora Hird''s a c**t too.

@Ted, love the perm mate, I grew up in Southampton and used to see that barnet running around Dell :-)[/quote]I could only pick up on one comment because I was at work. If I wasn''t, I would probably have made a quip about your moniker being appropriate considering the content of your posts.As said before, I am speaking specifically of a minority of fans. However, specifically relating to you and your bringing up the "we''ll never play you again" chants, it must have cased you a little offence because you can quite clearly remember it. Do you remember every chant sung at that match? Perhaps you remember that chant because it was sung at you by the majority of teams in your relegation season. As I said, it was sung at us on a very regular basis to us. I can''t imagine you were different.

[quote user="cufcone"]Colchester don''t hate Norwich...Just your manager and the people running your club[/quote]Right. I don''t see the distinction myself.

My view is it has happened now it is time to move on.... But myself like most Col Utd fans are p**sed off with the way Lambert spent our money on building a squad,got rid of Jackson who was probably one of the best players we had and treated others like a piece of s**t then as soon as an offer from a bigger club comes along he is off. The way i see it Norwich fans have been screwed over aswell,why did your board allow Gunn to blow your budget on a squad then sack him so early? Yes we beat you but you followed that up in the perfect way with a 4-0 win at Yeovil. If like you say Gunn was so useless then why the hell didn''t they sack him in the summer and get someone in to start from fresh. Yet again the fans are the ones to suffer

[quote user="cufcone"]Colchester don''t hate Norwich...Just your manager and the people running your club[/quote]Haha, fair enough, and i imagine most on here would only be happy to concur with (half of) that. [;)]

[quote user="John"][quote user="cufcone"]Colchester don''t hate Norwich...Just your manager and the people running your club[/quote]Haha, fair enough, and i imagine most on here would only be happy to concur with (half of) that. [;)] [/quote](For now at least)

[quote user="TheGoogler"]

Now, firstly a few caveats to hopefully stop this thread being closed quicker than you can blink.

Firstly I, of course, recognise that not all Colchester fans are whingers and I am specifically talking about a select minority - the specific minority who have come on to this forum and hae approached me recently. Camul and the vast majority are, I''m sure, great people and a credit to football.

But others just seem to think Norwich are now scum of the earth. The ones who visit this forum, the numerous of people on the official Colchester Utd message board who seem to think we''re now evil incarnate.

I met two or three on a train the other day with whom I, shall we say, had a rather interesting exchanging of views on how "clubs like Norwich are ruining football". Football was ruined long before Norwich pinched Paul Lambert from Colchester, my friends. Today, and my inspiration for this post, I''ve just had a text from an old acquaintance I''ve barely spoken to. Again, a Colchester fan. "Expected better from a club like Norwich".

I don''t wish to fan further flames - but Colchester fans really should realise that to us, they''re just another opponent. Our rivals are, and will always be, Ipswich and Wolves. Despite the divisional difference, that won''t change. Yes, they beat us 7-1 - and some seem to treat this as their best result ever - one guy on the Colchester forum has a picture of the scoreboard in his signature. That''s nice. Really is. But the thing is we beat them a couple of seasons back 5-1 - to us, that was nothing. And that''s because, like I said, Colchester to us, are nothing.

Frankly, their attitude and reaction has surprised me. I think they''ve massively overreacted about the whole Paul Lambert matter. Managers come and go - it''s a fact of football. I wish them well both in the search for a new manager and the rest of the season and look forward to the return leg at their place, when perhaps a better organised and better equipped Norwich City can give them a bit more decent a football match. We can but hope.

Has anyone else been rather surprised by their reaction? Or had any grief from Colchester fans?

[/quote]

How come Wolves are our rivals?????

[quote user="cufcone"]My view is it has happened now it is time to move on.... But myself like most Col Utd fans are p**sed off with the way Lambert spent our money on building a squad,got rid of Jackson who was probably one of the best players we had and treated others like a piece of s**t then as soon as an offer from a bigger club comes along he is off. The way i see it Norwich fans have been screwed over aswell,why did your board allow Gunn to blow your budget on a squad then sack him so early? Yes we beat you but you followed that up in the perfect way with a 4-0 win at Yeovil. If like you say Gunn was so useless then why the hell didn''t they sack him in the summer and get someone in to start from fresh. Yet again the fans are the ones to suffer[/quote]It''s a real mystery, truth be told.Worst manager we have ever had, and statistics would only go on to prove that. Not only that though, he also gave us a comfortable relegation to play for the first time in 50 years in the 3rd tier. We we''re nicely outside the relegation zone, but we sunk like a stone as soon as he took charge. Week to week we imploded again and again, until it all became so hopeless.It shouldn''t of been a fire-fighting mission, it should of been a ''consolation for not gaining promotion'' mission, but he sure as hell stuck us in the fire.He was given every chance by those around him in the transfer market, and with the staff, and image he wanted to bring into the club. But he failed, to the extent of which he could of really done no worse in the job allocated to him.Giving him the contract extension was well and truly insane, and must have bemused every city fan, but it was done on the basis of a ''need for continuity'', and nothing else, regardless of the incompetence and failiure of management, given the main reason for our failiure prior to Gunn (complete chaos and instability).What happened after was just a shambles conjured by the chaos prior to it.The Yeovil result was always going to happen, given that Saturday result. Gunn was walking a tight rope, he was wanted out, he knew it, so he did everything he could, to bring out everything the team had, and focus it all on that one result, cos there came an oppertunity, like the oppertunity proposed to him in his ''temporary'' role in charge against Barnsley (he won that 4-0 as well by the way). Being manager of Norwich City.Part of the board, with a vision for the long term, not caught up by sentiment and instant excitement, could see through that luckily enough.

[quote user="Boyo"][quote user="TheGoogler"]

[/quote]

How come Wolves are our rivals?????

[/quote]Because we only hate WOLVES and Ipswich. Thought everyone knew that [:P]

[quote user="John"][quote user="cufcone"]My view is it has happened now it is time to move on.... But myself like most Col Utd fans are p**sed off with the way Lambert spent our money on building a squad,got rid of Jackson who was probably one of the best players we had and treated others like a piece of s**t then as soon as an offer from a bigger club comes along he is off. The way i see it Norwich fans have been screwed over aswell,why did your board allow Gunn to blow your budget on a squad then sack him so early? Yes we beat you but you followed that up in the perfect way with a 4-0 win at Yeovil. If like you say Gunn was so useless then why the hell didn''t they sack him in the summer and get someone in to start from fresh. Yet again the fans are the ones to suffer[/quote]

It''s a real mystery, truth be told.

Worst manager we have ever had, and statistics would only go on to prove that.

Not only that though, he also gave us a comfortable relegation to play for the first time in 50 years in the 3rd tier. We we''re nicely outside the relegation zone, but we sunk like a stone as soon as he took charge. Week to week we imploded again and again, until it all became so hopeless.

It shouldn''t of been a fire-fighting mission, it should of been a ''consolation for not gaining promotion'' mission, but he sure as hell stuck us in the fire.

He was given every chance by those around him in the transfer market, and with the staff, and image he wanted to bring into the club. But he failed, to the extent of which he could of really done no worse in the job allocated to him.

Giving him the contract extension was well and truly insane, and must have bemused every city fan, but it was done on the basis of a ''need for continuity'', and nothing else, regardless of the incompetence and failiure of management, given the main reason for our failiure prior to Gunn (complete chaos and instability).

What happened after was just a shambles conjured by the chaos prior to it.

The Yeovil result was always going to happen, given that Saturday result. Gunn was walking a tight rope, he was wanted out, he knew it, so he did everything he could, to bring out everything the team had, and focus it all on that one result, cos there came an oppertunity, like the oppertunity proposed to him in his ''temporary'' role in charge against Barnsley (he won that 4-0 as well by the way). Being manager of Norwich City.

Part of the board, with a vision for the long term, not caught up by sentiment and instant excitement, could see through that luckily enough.
[/quote]

Nothing much to add, except bloody good post John.