Sign in to follow this  
Gentleman Jim

Delayed Train Nightmare (12 May 2002)

Was anyone here on the nightmare from Paddington to Cardiff on our playoff final with Birmingham ?

I left Gorleston at 04.30 drove to London to my son''s house in Paddington, had breakfast then caught the train to Cardiff along with hundreds of young and old City fans bedecked head to toe in our yellow and Green.

All went well until we got to just before Newport and the damned thing stopped, and stopped and stopped for about six hours in the middle of deserted farmland. Kids were crying, tempers frayed, half a dozen or so young men a bit worse for drink were arguing with a burly railway policeman and trying to jump off the train, it was all quite fraught.

Eventually we got there just before half time, missed all the build up, no food and of course we got beat !

The worst footballing day of my life, and we didn''t get any compensation either !

I feel very sorry for you and, as I have to get the train to work, I''m not suprised. Even last night my train was delayed by 20 minutes and that meant I was late for work - and docked pay.

My journey is only 15 minutes long but it is a nightmare!

Journey home wasn''t much better mate. Broke down many times and a buffet car with 2 sarnies and 8 bottles of water!Not the best of journeys whilst feeling very down.

[quote user="Gentleman Jim"]

Was anyone here on the nightmare from Paddington to Cardiff on our playoff final with Birmingham ?

I left Gorleston at 04.30 drove to London to my son''s house in Paddington, had breakfast then caught the train to Cardiff along with hundreds of young and old City fans bedecked head to toe in our yellow and Green.

All went well until we got to just before Newport and the damned thing stopped, and stopped and stopped for about six hours in the middle of deserted farmland. Kids were crying, tempers frayed, half a dozen or so young men a bit worse for drink were arguing with a burly railway policeman and trying to jump off the train, it was all quite fraught.

Eventually we got there just before half time, missed all the build up, no food and of course we got beat !

The worst footballing day of my life, and we didn''t get any compensation either !

[/quote]Surely you should have been entitled to compensation? Why were you turned down?

I cant decide my worst footballing day out. Colchester the other week was very horrible and embarassing. But charlton was probably worse because i had to sit on the coach for a few hours :@

Fulham was horrible, but i only watched it at the pub.

It must have to be between Charlton, Colchester.

My worst footballing day out was Sunday 17th December 1995 at Leicester, arriving at Filbert Street to find that Martin O''Neill had walked.  We lost 3-2 but it hardly mattered, the long term implications hit me like a hammer straight away.  Even though we were 3rd in the table, all our hopes of regaining our place in the Prem at the first attempt had vanished in an instant.  The phrase "It''s all over, for ever" kept repeating itself in my head.  The most glorious era in our club''s history had come to an end, never to return, and I knew it.

Fulham was bad, it was absolutely excruciating at the time, but because I believed (wrongly as it turned out) that with Prem money and Prem experience we had every chance of coming straight back, it softened the blow somehow.  I was very angry but not nearly so depressed and upset as after the Leicester game.

i was at wembley watching what was one of englands best ever performances.it was the match v holland and we beat them 4-1,euro 96.anyway due to a cow being on the line we were hel up for hours.i eventually got home at 04.30,the hangover started to kick in about 0230 as it was a big day session.if it wasnt for that result i think there would have been a lot of trouble.wot a great day that was.