Sign in to follow this  
B-ru

Swans are circling Hoolahoop

Hoolahan is/was the last player that may have sperarated us from the majority of clubs in this league, without him we have NOTHING left in the team to suggest that we are any better than the run of the mill league one team, and therefore have no right to be talked about as a promotion contender, this is the final nail...

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote]Has no-one noticed that there is no suggestion in the article that Hoolahan has had talks or anything with Swansea? No quotes suggesting it or anything. Could just as easily be someone dreaming it up.[/quote]Errr...[quote]Norwich midfielder Hoolahan is understood to have visited the Liberty in the last week for talks over a move from Carrow Road.[/quote][/quote]

Exactly. He was ''understood'' to have visited. How did they come to understand it? Where did they get it from? Any quotes? Certainly nothing from the manager in that article even hinting towards it.

[/quote]That''s journal-ese for "someone at the club / his agents told us, but they don''t want us to tell you that they told us", isn''t it ?

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

Hoolahan is/was the last player that may have sperarated us from the majority of clubs in this league, without him we have NOTHING left in the team to suggest that we are any better than the run of the mill league one team, and therefore have no right to be talked about as a promotion contender, this is the final nail...

[/quote]If he does go I too fear that it is the final nail. Yes he does separate us from the majority bacause he has the vision and skill that very few will posess at this level. I cannot see him staying here as he is much too good for this level. I just hope the players we have at the moment are better than I think they are.

As he showed with Blackpool he is a player who can propel a club to promotion.  Looking at our squad he is the only player with that capability.  Given the clubs aims to get promoted this season or else how would selling him help?  It would leave a big gap.

Hoolahan is as much of a dilemma as Hux became - how do we accomodate him?  If Lambert is any sort of decent manager he will find a way...

I  think Wes is a very very skillfull player who can terify defenders and make space for others, he`s the only  player left who generates an air of expetancy when he gets  the ball. A luxury player however if his work doesnt lead to scoring  chances or if he gives the ball away and leaves us vunerable at the back. He`s not the  sort of player you could build a team around and if the only way Lambert can buy some of his own players is to sell Wes then thats the best option.Having said that why the hell should we  have to sell anyone, we find money for compensation and arranging loans, the board should dig deep to fund their new man`s requirements, we`re in this position because of them , get your hands in your pockets and pay for your mistakes!  

if Villa offer us £7million for him like leeds got - then obv take the money, but by selling our best player to a team, that we will hopefully be playing next season its not worth it, unless it is for big big money!

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

As he showed with Blackpool he is a player who can propel a club to promotion.  Looking at our squad he is the only player with that capability.  Given the clubs aims to get promoted this season or else how would selling him help?  It would leave a big gap.

Hoolahan is as much of a dilemma as Hux became - how do we accomodate him?  If Lambert is any sort of decent manager he will find a way...

[/quote]Your last sentence I believe to be spot on but not too sure Hoolahan really wants to stay and play in Div 1.

[quote user="tribes"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]Your last sentence I believe to be spot on but not too sure Hoolahan really wants to stay and play in Div 1.[/quote]

Agreed that we need him to be here thats for sure.

But hopefully we can make it to 1/9 with him here - although that wont exclude the Swans taking him on loan to buy in Jan,  as we did with Etuhu(?) 

Hoolahan is over rated, and teams have to be adjusted to fit the ill-disciplined little primaddona in.  Get rid of him and lets get back to two solid banks of four like every other team in this god forsaken division.

[quote user="TheGoogler"]Mixed feelings. Hoolahan has talent in abundance but I think if his sale brings in funds for Lambert to bring in one or two of his own players then I think it''s a necessary sale.[/quote]

The problem is that whenever Norwich sell one of our best players, he is replaced with a 2nd rate version.

For example:

Ashton -> Earnshaw

Earnshaw -> Cureton

Marshall -> Theoklitos

If we sell Hoolahan it is terrible news. There is no chance we will bring in 2 or even 1 player who is nearly as good as him.

If Wes had even the semblance of a right foot I could understand some of the adulation, but his extreme one sideness makes him relatively easy to defend by doubling up, whereas his lack of awareness to exploit that double teaming by releasing to teammates in the space created rather than dribbling up his own backside and losing it make him expendable for the right price.

[quote user="Beauseant"]If Wes had even the semblance of a right foot I could understand some of the adulation, but his extreme one sideness makes him relatively easy to defend by doubling up, whereas his lack of awareness to exploit that double teaming by releasing to teammates in the space created rather than dribbling up his own backside and losing it make him expendable for the right price.[/quote]

I think a major part of the problem, Beau, is that his team mates aren''t using the space that is created by the opposition doubling up on Wes. Instead they''re mostly meandering around trying to avoid the ball because they''re all terrified of making a mistake.

If Lambert can get the rest of the team to play, and uses Wes in a free role, he''ll be superb in this division.

" I think a major part of the problem, Beau, is that his team mates aren''t using the space that is created by the opposition doubling up on Wes. Instead they''re mostly meandering around trying to avoid the ball because they''re all terrified of making a mistake. If Lambert can get the rest of the team to play, and uses Wes in a free role, he''ll be superb in this division."

Ye i think Wes is getting wound up with this. With the new manager i think he might leave it until the next transfer window.

The guy is being played out of position, he was only the main reason Blackpool got promoted and are a league above us today.Let''s sell him though, he doesn''t score enough goals. Heck, if we got 500,000 for him we could probably afford 2 Tudur Jones'' or 2 Simon Whaley''s. Wouldn''t that be brilliant.

Quality player. Unfortunately since he''s been here he hasn''t always (if it all) had the same quality around him to do him justice.

He is all left foot but there are plenty of players out there who are all right foot.

Be sad to see him leave, it''s great to watch him make defenders look silly the way he does with just a drop of his shoulder etc Don''t see too many players with that kind of ability.

Through all the abject dross we''ve been served up these past couple of seasons, Hoolahan has made turning up at Carra worthwhile for me. This could be the final straw if he''s sold.

I pay for my & my son''s season tickets by direct debit.  Does anyone know off hand if I can jack it in once the season has started?

Cheers

[quote user="walks on water"]

Through all the abject dross we''ve been served up these past couple of seasons, Hoolahan has made turning up at Carra worthwhile for me. This could be the final straw if he''s sold.

I pay for my & my son''s season tickets by direct debit.  Does anyone know off hand if I can jack it in once the season has started?

Cheers

[/quote]Do you want to be entertained, or watch a winning team ?  Ideally both would be possible, but we might be stuck with one or the other for the foreseeable.

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="walks on water"]

Cheers

[/quote]Do you want to be entertained, or watch a winning team ?  Ideally both would be possible, but we might be stuck with one or the other for the foreseeable.[/quote]Yes, but you can''t tell me that by letting your best players go, you will have a winning team? We simply wouldn''t be able to replace Hoolahan for the money we would get for him...

Can you guarantee that Wesley''s exit will bring success?

...from what I''ve seen, he is our most creative player bar none. When played in his natural position he knits the disparate parts into a cohesive whole.

I don''t think the way forward is to lose our best chance of opening teams up, but there you go.

Please delight in rubbing my nose in it when we are top 6 having signed comparable replacements, but I won''t be holding my breath on that one if Hools heads for the exit.

[quote]Yes, but you can''t tell me that by letting your best players go, you

will have a winning team? We simply wouldn''t be able to replace

Hoolahan for the money we would get for him...[/quote]Think back to Worthington, pre Hucks, the season we got to the play-offs.  2 banks of 4 across the back.  Flam and Mackay as rocks in the centre of defence.  That''s what we need to get back to initially, because that''s what will keep clean sheets, and clean sheets get points.  You start getting points, andwinning matches, and the confidence returns. At that point you can think about introducing a fancy-dan, as we did with Huckerby on loan.  If there''s no spine in place, no root to the tree, then all Hoolihan will remain is a dislocated branch.With that said, I''d love to see what happens if Hughes starts in the middle, if only because we looked a different team in Yeovil when he played.  Maybe Hughes in the middle will bring the best out of the rest of the team.

[quote user="walks on water"]

Can you guarantee that Wesley''s exit will bring success?

...from what I''ve seen, he is our most creative player bar none. When played in his natural position he knits the disparate parts into a cohesive whole.

I don''t think the way forward is to lose our best chance of opening teams up, but there you go.

Please delight in rubbing my nose in it when we are top 6 having signed comparable replacements, but I won''t be holding my breath on that one if Hools heads for the exit.

[/quote]Not my style to do that WoW, I''d prefer to see him used effectively than lose him too.  I just wonder if we have the players / confidence to do that right now.

[quote user="Mr. Bump"]The guy is being played out of position, he was only the main reason Blackpool got promoted and are a league above us today.Let''s sell him though, he doesn''t score enough goals. Heck, if we got 500,000 for him we could probably afford 2 Tudur Jones'' or 2 Simon Whaley''s. Wouldn''t that be brilliant.[/quote]

And a mat gill!

[quote user="Marmite"]Hoolahan has been cr*p from day one. All I ever see is a player who runs down blind-alleys, never passes to team mates in better positions and despite how skillfull were always being told he is, creates nothing. Get rid and get someone in who at least looks like they can be arsed.
[/quote]I take it your sport isn''t football marmite,cos from where i am standing you sound pretty clueless

We need to keep hold of Wes as he is one of those players who can change a game. We haven''t seen the best of him yet as he is being played wide left which isn''t his strongest position.

I believe though that if we can keep hold of him and he is managed the right way, he can turn into a vital player for us this season.