Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

What really lies behind todays team selection?

With 7 of Gunn''s 12 signings not even making the bench today, was todays team selection purely due to Lambert playing players who hadn''t featured so far, or was it a statement against the general quality of players brought in over the summer?

We all know that every manager evntually wants a team full of his own players,I guess we will see in the next week if Lambert tries to have a clear out. Could be a very short Norwich career for the likes of Nelson,Gill & Theoklitos!

Quite simply i think he just picked palyers with things to prove.Otsemobor, Askou, Spillane, Smith, Mcveigh, Lappin, Hughes and Curo are either all new or been below par(well...only my mate Semmy.)Like Lambert said, he felt we needed a freshness and today we got that. People are now writing certain players off because they haven''t featured, but with a game on Monday i think Lambert will be looking at people and using his squad effectively.A good first days work!

Seeing Korey Smith again today jsut reminded me of how shit a manager Gunn was. Smith was probably our best player last season at Charlton away, yet under Gunn didn''t even feature again after. So pleased we''ve got rid of that clueless man.

The main reason Wes was on the bench was Lappin gives more balance to the team. I thought Holt, Lappin and Smith were superb today. I was very encouraged by Smith, and with Adeyami also looking good in the middle Mr Lambert has plenty to play with in midfield.

I have already stated how pleased i was when we appointed Paul Lambert because i believe we have a very hungry young manager who is out to prove a point and is very ambitious. Martin O,Neill rates him very highly as a manager. Yes it is just one game but i think if the board fully backs this guy it is only 1 way and that is up.

cusdp, are you a steward at Carrow Road? Your username would make sense & one of your friends/colleagues at the club could be your reliable source!

[quote user="Iwan is God"]cusdp, are you a steward at Carrow Road? Your username would make sense & one of your friends/colleagues at the club could be your reliable source![/quote]No, not a steward, but everytime the stewards say CUSDP i feel like saying, "how do you know its me!?"

What really lies behind todays team selection?

I would imagine it was who the manager thought were the best 11 players available in his preferred formation of 4-4-2 with real wingers for a change!

7/13 of gunns players not making the bench today is not that unlikely really, especially if we discount Wiggins as injured making it 6 of  the12 players signed by Gunn or 50%.Ignoring the injury list, which is just Wiggins iirc:For the squad as a whole 56.25% of all fit players we own made the squad. [those that made the squad, *did not play]That is:6 (50%) of Gunn''s 12 players - [Alnwick, Askou, McVeigh, Hughes, Holt, MacDonald]1 (50%) of Roeder''s 2 players - [Hoolahan]3 (75%) of Grant''s 4  players - [Otsemobor, Lappin, Cureton]2 (100%) of Worthington''s 2 players - [Doherty*, Drury]6 (50%) of the Acadamy''s contribution of 12 players - [Spillane, Smith, Rudd*, Adeyemi, Martin*, Daley*]So, while Lambert is not favouring recent signings he isn''t exactly spurning them either!

Chopsy is part right. It''s a well known fact that Lambert thinks our squad is too big and he doesn''t like operating with big squads so expect to see a different sqad again for the Sunderland game followed by some players leaving.

He''s going to give most a run out and the shed a few.

[quote user="7rew"]7/13 of gunns players not making the bench today is not that unlikely really, especially if we discount Wiggins as injured making it 6 of  the12 players signed by Gunn or 50%.

Ignoring the injury list, which is just Wiggins iirc:

For the squad as a whole 56.25% of all fit players we own made the squad. [those that made the squad, *did not play]
That is:
6 (50%) of Gunn''s 12 players - [Alnwick, Askou, McVeigh, Hughes, Holt, MacDonald]
1 (50%) of Roeder''s 2 players - [Hoolahan]
3 (75%) of Grant''s 4  players - [Otsemobor, Lappin, Cureton]
2 (100%) of Worthington''s 2 players - [Doherty*, Drury]
6 (50%) of the Acadamy''s contribution of 12 players - [Spillane, Smith, Rudd*, Adeyemi, Martin*, Daley*]

So, while Lambert is not favouring recent signings he isn''t exactly spurning them either!
[/quote]

Whilst all of this maybe true (its amazing what students have to do for their thesis these days!), The fact surely remains that as the most recent signings the "Gunn Twelve" will come under most scrutiny given that they are the most recent and presumably brought in by our previous manager to "improve" our squad. If the new manager then turns his nose up at half of them at the first given opportunity, I would make that headline news?!