Sign in to follow this  
G

Freekicks

Firstly i would love to congratulate the team on a fantastic performence today.

Secondly, i would like to point out how many freekicks Wycombe had on the edge of are box. Without Docherty it seemed significintly less. He just gives away to many freekicks for being on the player he is markings back.

I said how Doherty can''t header a ball without climbing on someones shoulders in another post and no one agrred with me, so I am glad there is someone who is watching the same game!

You really think so. I thought the CB partnership was the worst part of today and both goals came from mistakes by them. If doc had made either of them mistakes he would have been crucified on here, i thought both CB''s got muscled off the ball too easily and Askou esp needs to work on his positional play. Doc will still be a very important player this season.

I didn''t say they were good. I just said that there were very little freekicks given away on the edge of the box and Docherty gives away loads. They were at fault for the goals, they are mistakes everyone makes them.

I agree with you boyo! Doc is a very messy player and fouls far to much when defending set pieces.

[quote user="Panic"]I agree with you boyo! Doc is a very messy player and fouls far to much when defending set pieces.[/quote]

It''s got to be either Doc or Askou and seeing as the Doc carries absolutely zero goal threat it has to be Askou. But Doc is still a valuable player, sure he''ll get a game on Monday.

oookay.

I was hoping for a post praising the quality of WLY and Lappins delivery - without their corners and free kicks we would have only scored 1 goal...

Part of the reason we conceeded so few free kicks around the box (the one against brentford that lead to their goal was conceeded by Gill not Doc) was that Wycombe offered no attacking threat,  never got players as far as the edge of our box and when we needed to be making challenges (ie 2 conceeded goals) we did not and conceeded two of the softest goals all season despite the sparkling performances of Berthel Askou and Spillane??

This game highlighted that the B-A & S partnership is not up to the task,  how we dominiated this game against a non entity of a Wycombe side who did not know what to do once they had the ball in our half yet still conceeded two goals I will never know. 

I agree and it wasn''t only the goals. They frequently looked uncomfortable and unconvincing - against a better team?

Is it just a case of building that relationship up? Surely it''s not good to be chopping and changing everygame as they will never build an understanding with each other.

I say leave it as it is, they know the mistakes they made and they will learn from them, play spillane and Askou together for another three or four matches, unless they completely mess things up I think they will start to become more solid as a unit over time.

Doc is 5hit... (just had to add that in)

Doom Doom Doom.  Ok, so the first goal was an error of judgement by Askou who other wise had a very good game.  Not since Malky have we had a centre half who is a constant threat in attack with fantastic iming and a thunderous header. We will see many more goals from him.  The second goal (which I have watched several times) seemed to come from a misjudgement by Hughes. Spillane looks to be slightly off balance as he might have been expecting Hughes to deal with it.  Having said that it was a very good turn and finish by the striker.  Let''s not forget that this is a new partnership but already the communication between Spillane, Askou and Alnwick was far far better than when the Doc was playing.  Give the guys a couple more games together and the confidence will grow and clean sheets will come.  My glass is definitely half full with this one.

[quote user="Scooby"]Doom Doom Doom.  Ok, so the first goal was an error of judgement by Askou who other wise had a very good game.  Not since Malky have we had a centre half who is a constant threat in attack with fantastic iming and a thunderous header. We will see many more goals from him.  The second goal (which I have watched several times) seemed to come from a misjudgement by Hughes. Spillane looks to be slightly off balance as he might have been expecting Hughes to deal with it.  Having said that it was a very good turn and finish by the striker.  Let''s not forget that this is a new partnership but already the communication between Spillane, Askou and Alnwick was far far better than when the Doc was playing.  Give the guys a couple more games together and the confidence will grow and clean sheets will come.  My glass is definitely half full with this one.[/quote]

It was not one misjudgement by Berthel Askou - the game was littered with them,  positional as well as misjudging the flight of the ball enough to miss the ball three times.   If we conceed two and he scores one how is that good for the team???

Spillane was physically too weak against an appalling Wycombe attack.

We conceeded two goals to this team,  against a Huddersfield say we will conceed more with this pair.

Give them another game together and see if they improve. The Doc has been consistently awful for years and is one of the main reasons why we''ve sunk so far over such a short period. If we can make an alternative relationship develop we could see a much better back 4 and a lot less conceded as a result.

[quote user="Scooby"]Doom Doom Doom.  Ok, so the first goal was an error of judgement by Askou who other wise had a very good game.  [/quote]"Apart from the goal he caused, he defended well."Well done.

[quote user="Canary Wundaboy"]The Doc has been consistently awful for years[/quote]Player of the season 2005-6, 3rd place PotS last year.  If the Doc has been "consistently awful for years", what does that say about the other defenders?

[quote user="Canary Wundaboy"].

The Doc has been consistently awful for years and is one of the main reasons why we''ve sunk so far over such a short period. [/quote]

Opinion - Doc.. is one the main reasons why we''ve sunk so far over such a short period.

Fact - since relegation we win more games,  lose fewer, gain more points per game and conceed fewer goals per game when he starts then when he does not.

Opinion - Based on the above fact I think that Doc is probably the best centre half at the club, 

Opinion - based on the above fact I think he has consistently been one of our best defenders since we were relegated. 

Opinion - we could do with better central defenders

Opinion - I think our back four has looked shaky this season,  incl doc. 

Opinon - I think Ots and our midfield are the prime reasons we have been defensively so poor over the last 3 seasons.

Fact - we have defended crosses poorly this season

Fact - we conceeded too many goals to late arriving midfielders last season

Opinion - I think Doc is an "ugly" footballer.  effective but does not play a pretty game.

Opinion - Berthel Askou and

Fact - I want our defenders to do that,  and am not worried if they can defend and dont score,  scoring and not defending is not a strength we need in our defenders. 

Opinion - I think we are harder to score against with a better midfield and Spillane at right back with Doc in the middle  than without Doc in the side.   

Fact - the above does not mean that I think doc is fantastic.   Just better that those seen as alternatives.

Fact - I would like us to buy a better center half

Fact - we conceeded two extrenely soft goals against a v poor Wycombe due to not one but 2 central defensive errors. Those errors, despite attempts,  were not Docs fault [;)]

Opinion - I feel that other areas of the team/defence require strengthening before the centre,  right wing,  centre forward 2nd centre back,  before replacing Doc.