Sign in to follow this  
Glenn Foy

Spillane

I read somewhere on here he wasn''t up to the job at centre-back but I disagree. He won some sort of player of the year for Luton last year and he had a lot of games at centre-back. The best aspect to the lads game is that he''s so versatile; i think he''s good enough to play full-back, centre-back, and if we''re really stretched at some stages in the season, he could slot in at centre midfield. What do others think; is he good enough for the first team? I personally think he is.

I believe he''s better suited to right back, quick good ball player. Doherty and Askou will be a better partnership or Nelson/Askou. Askou had a off day today but is certainly a good player. I''m not saying Spillane isn''t a acomplished player, he is and he can only improve just I think he''s better suited keeping Ot-semipro on the bench.

Spillane looked very good, won lots of tackles, gave 100% and he can distribute the ball well aswell.  If there is anything he needs to work on, it''s his heading.  Only made one mistake which led to their second goal, and all he did was become to eager to clear the ball away and got a bit to tight to his man.

I would be very happy seeing him play lot''s of games this season.

[quote user="Boyo"]

Spillane looked very good, won lots of tackles, gave 100% and he can distribute the ball well aswell.  If there is anything he needs to work on, it''s his heading.  Only made one mistake which led to their second goal, and all he did was become to eager to clear the ball away and got a bit to tight to his man.

[/quote]

I was obviously at the game played in a different but parrallel Universe. Spillane was out-muscled by their big forward and never looked in control of the situation. Askou got him out of trouble several times although saying that, I didn''t think he was particularly impressive either. This afternoon was a great opportunity for Spillane but he singley failed to grasp it.

I think it is safe to say that this pairing is unlikely to remain in place long but in truth perming any two from the four recognised centre backs hardly gives me much room for confidence. If Lambert doesn''t fancy Doc, then he needs to go into the transfer market because he is still the best of a very average bunch in my opinion.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Boyo"]

[/quote]

I was obviously at the game played in a different but parrallel Universe. Spillane was out-muscled by their big forward and never looked in control of the situation. Askou got him out of trouble several times although saying that, I didn''t think he was particularly impressive either. This afternoon was a great opportunity for Spillane but he singley failed to grasp it.

I think it is safe to say that this pairing is unlikely to remain in place long but in truth perming any two from the four recognised centre backs hardly gives me much room for confidence. If Lambert doesn''t fancy Doc, then he needs to go into the transfer market because he is still the best of a very average bunch in my opinion.

[/quote]

Thanks Ricardo - was beginning to doubt my sanity seeing the reports.

As I have put in the player ratings thread I though both centre backs were poor, positionally, marking passing, yet were forgiven several horror errors that other would have been more than crucified for.

Those that felt either were better than doc it really is blind prejudice talking.

This should have ben a 5-0, thats all wycombe deserved, our central defenders gifted them 2 goals despite offering no attacking threat and nearly cost us all the momentum the three goals gave us. Fortuntately lappins fantastic cross cancelled out the 2nd conceeded v quickly, without that would we have won? A crucial moment.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Agreed - I can see 2 cbs coming in anyway,  on loan if not permanently.  The picking of these two SHOULD have given them confidence,  they did not grasp their chance

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Boyo"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Agreed - I can see 2 cbs coming in anyway,  on loan if not permanently.  The picking of these two SHOULD have given them confidence,  they did not grasp their chance

[/quote]

I sometimes think I''m ploughing a lone furrow when I defend the Doc thanks to the (as you rightly say) the blind predjudice on here. He might have his faults and can certainly be exposed by a tricky forward but I have never seen him dominated physically like todays central pairing were. Wycombe were a pretty poor side and look odds on relegation material yet we did not look convincing at the back against them.

I reserve judgement on Askou but anyone who thinks Spillane is a centre half is sadly mistaken. Right back or defensive midfield are probably his strongest positions

Ricardo, I agree with your opinions on Doherty. If we come up against a Kuqi or a Platt, or any striker of the same format then theres only one person in our squad I want marking him and thats Doc. However, that tends to be his speciality and Askou showed us today what we''ve been missing from the back offensively.

Hopefully Lambert will find the right combination.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Boyo"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I sometimes think I''m ploughing a lone furrow when I defend the Doc thanks to the (as you rightly say) the blind predjudice on here. He might have his faults and can certainly be exposed by a tricky forward but I have never seen him dominated physically like todays central pairing were. Wycombe were a pretty poor side and look odds on relegation material yet we did not look convincing at the back against them.

I reserve judgement on Askou but anyone who thinks Spillane is a centre half is sadly mistaken. Right back or defensive midfield are probably his strongest positions

[/quote]

I''m in agreement.

I''ve said before that Spillane is too weak to play there but I think plenty of people have already convinced themselves that he''s good enough. Doesn''t defend with enough strength and isn''t particularly good on the ball either.

He struggled today against a pretty blunt Wycombe so I''d be very worried when we play some of the better sides in the league if he''s in the team.

Spillanes a good steady squad player at the least but I wouldn''t want to see him at CB against a decent team because hes too lightweight for that position and gets beaten in the air to easily.

Askou in my opinion looks very dodgy at CB but he scored a good headed goal today!

The Doc is our best CB cause he is great in the air defensively and is strong!

Remember that ColU at home was a freak albeit aided by our rubbish performance and Wycombe were mainly very powderpuff and didn''t put out defense under that much pressure!

[/quote]

[/quote]

You actually think that about Doherty! Yes most of our defenders are useless but how can you say Doc isn''t.  Are we watching the same player who gives away about 50 stupid, needless freekicks away a season, and about 5 penalties?  Are we watching the same player who''s only way to win a header is to get on someones shoulders?  Are we watching the same player who cannot pass a football, and who only see''s one ball which is to the left wing thinking Huckerby is still there?  I sometimes wonder how he made a professionall footballer! and I sometimes wonder wether I am actually watching the same player as everyone else.

surely has to be spillane and askou, they worked well today and did the job, also gotta mention how well mcviegh and semmy combined on the right today

[quote user="Boyo"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Boyo"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You actually think that about Doherty! Yes most of our defenders are useless but how can you say Doc isn''t.  Are we watching the same player who gives away about 50 stupid, needless freekicks away a season, and about 5 penalties?  Are we watching the same player who''s only way to win a header is to get on someones shoulders?  Are we watching the same player who cannot pass a football, and who only see''s one ball which is to the left wing thinking Huckerby is still there?  I sometimes wonder how he made a professionall footballer! and I sometimes wonder wether I am actually watching the same player as everyone else.

[/quote]

The full range of your predjudice is on display in this post

Got it in one Boyo, you are obviously watching a completely different player.

Of the centre backs at the club, Doc would be my first choice.  I don''t think this is a ringing endorsement of the Doc, as I am fully aware of his tendency to wrestle and his occasional hoof out of defence.  However, aerially he offers more confidence than either of the CBs yesterday, and if you watch the goals again you will see indecisive CB play where a Doc-style hoof would have cleared the danger easily.Personally I would play Doc & Askou with Spillane/Semi as right back - Semi was decent yesterday.  But I would instruct all my scouts to go out and find a couple of centre backs because none of the current crop at our club fill me with anything like confidence.

[/quote]

[/quote]Agree completely. I thught that the two looked a bit shaky throughout and lacked physical presence - I fear for how they would have done away from home against a better team. I suspect that they are trying to move Doc on (to save wages) - so let''s hope he has someone in mind!

[quote user="Badger"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Boyo"]

[/quote]

[/quote]Agree completely. I thught that the two looked a bit shaky throughout and lacked physical presence - I fear for how they would have done away from home against a better team. I suspect that they are trying to move Doc on (to save wages) - so let''s hope he has someone in mind![/quote]thought

[quote user="Badger"][quote user="Badger"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Boyo"]

[/quote]

[/quote]Agree completely. I thught that the two looked a bit shaky throughout and lacked physical presence - I fear for how they would have done away from home against a better team. I suspect that they are trying to move Doc on (to save wages) - so let''s hope he has someone in mind![/quote]thought[/quote]

Spillane and Askou allow the team to play higher up the pitch. If we are to get anywhere near the style of attacking football that we used to play, we have to push up the pitch. I would actually rather look at little dodgy at the back and be attack minded, than look dodgy at the back anyway and sitting on the edge of our box all game (which is what happens when Doherty plays), with nothing positive to shout about.

Why not play all three?

Spillane Doc Askou
     Otsemobor                               Lappin

Just make sure Doc plays up with the other two as opposed to sitting back, then we have a bit of speed, aerial security and attacking threat in the central defence.
Otsemebor and Lappin could play as wing backs- an unusual system for them but I think Ots would thrive on having extra players behind him- so perhaps this would be something to consider if we want to defend a lead.