Sign in to follow this  
Binky

SIMON LAPPIN

[quote user="Mutley"]

I originally thought that Lapps was too lightwieight for the Championship and even more so for league 1. But lets face it prior to coming to us he was plying his trade in the SPL. Yes Rangers and Celtic have european style players who I`m sure play genteel football incorporating clever flicks and quick one twos. However I`m sure there are plenty of mental clogging centre backs whos main aim in life is to kill opposing left wingers ( prob playing for the likes of Falkirk / Livingstone / Gretna (as was) etc etc. If he survived this then I don`t see him having too many problems in this league

[/quote]

We often take in one or two Motherwell games a season and managed to catch one of the games Lappin spent on loan there a last season (was it?). He was certainly not lightweight and was more than happy to mix it with their monster cenreforward and was prepared to get stuck in whenever he had to, which was frequently.

I dont think he is lightweight at all, he just lacks a little pace (which is odd for a winger, but has obviously persevered due to his excellent delivery) and as a result, players tend to catch him up and as a result he is overcome. Afforded a little space- as he was today- he will have no problem.

Lappin''s delivery of crosses and free kicks were superb yesterday. He even went past the odd man. By picking Lappin and Macca you''ve got two players who can put quality balls in to the box from each flank which Holty, and Askou it seems, will absolutely thrive on.There''s goals in them there two!!

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

Might I suggest that we are playing at a level now ,where he can be effective?

[/quote]Bit mean. That comment would apply to everyone in the team yesterday, given that he was indisputably one of our best players. I think he has shown that he would have been worth another chance in the championship last season bearing in mind the sub-standard performance of some of the squad. Unfortunately I think your view has been coloured by his performance in the left back position - even Gunn played him there. Although he can take a useful defensive stance, it is as much a mistake to play him at LB, as it is not to play him at all. With the likes of him and McVeigh in the team it could pay real dividends playing for corner kicks again!

[quote user="ricardo"]

He had a good game today, good crosses and free kicks.

The guy is still too lightweight for me. He struggled badly in the Championship but maybe he will shine at this level. If he can keep up todays level against the stronger sides he will be worth his place.

[/quote]

But I thought Neil Adams said you need to be big and physical at this level as all the players are seven foot tall man-beasts intent on sucking the blood from any player who can pass the ball.

I think this is where a good Manager earns his salt. I have always worried about Lappin but i agree with everybody that he was terrific yesterday.

Lambert played him wide left which is by far his best position and as long as you have pace elsewhere in the side that presents no problem as has been said ''look at Beckham''

I did notice that when Hooly came on and Lappin had to move inside he immediately was not as effective and starts to look a bit lost. Am I right or am i being a bit critical?

Finally, it is difficult to name a man of the match as it was a good team effort but Holt got it and deserved it.