Sign in to follow this  
Gentleman Jim

Ashton to retire . . . .

. . . he has been advised his ankle injury will not heal.[:(]

Tough luck for him at the age of 26, also we can wave good bye to any sell on cash I suppose.

How very, very sad.

I thought he was one terrific player who would have done well eventually on the international stage.

Give thanks that he graced Carrow Road (courtesy of Worthy)

OTBC

Really sorry to here this news. At least he will get a massive insurance pay out that will set him for life and he won''t have to worry about money for the rest of his life!

I''m not sure his fitness would be great if he rested it for four years, and I''m not sure that''s how it works, if it''s not guna heal it''s not guna heal.Plus to the posters mentioning sell-on clauses, we were never guna get anything anyway as it was on all profit made, and WH weren''t going to sell him for more than £7m

It''s not reported on anything apart from the Mirror at the moment and some West Ham fans thing it''s bullshit

[quote user="Mr. Bump"]It''s not reported on anything apart from the Mirror at the moment and some West Ham fans thing it''s bullshit
[/quote]

Here is an extract from the article :-

Dean Ashton is set to announce his shock retirement from football.

The 26 year-old West Ham and England striker is suffering from a degenerative ankle problem. He travelled to Amsterdam three weeks ago for an assessment from leading Dutch surgeon Niek van Dijk and was warned he could end up wheelchair-bound if he carried on playing.

A Hammers spokesman said last night: “We can confirm Dean Ashton is unavailable for selection but we cannot comment any further."

Ashton, who has endured ankle problems since sustaining a fracture during an England training session in August 2006, has not been able to train or play since breaking down in manager Gianfranco Zola''s first training session on September 15 last year.

Dutch surgeon Van Dijk originally operated on Ashton’s ankle after the England training ground accident with Shaun Wright-Phillips three years ago.