Sign in to follow this  
matt crowhurst

Credit Gunn?

Probably going to get shot down for this but i think Gunny should get some credit for today. Mcveigh, Alnwick, Smith, Hughes, Cody, Askou,  all Gunnys signings or progressed from the youth team by Gunny, Spillane and lappin brought back from the cold and of cause Holt

Agreed... Gunny''s eye for a potentially top player is showing... however sadly he just didn''t know how to apply them into a team.

Of course they''re Gunn''s players - who else would have signed them?Seriously, Gunn doesn''t get any credit from me because quite obviously, of the players he''s signed a number of them are very poor. Hardly shows an eye for a "potentially top player" when of 12 signings less than 6 of them are actually any good. 

[quote user="matt crowhurst"]Probably going to get shot down for this but i think Gunny should get some credit for today. Mcveigh, Alnwick, Smith, Hughes, Cody, Askou,  all Gunnys signings or progressed from the youth team by Gunny, Spillane and lappin brought back from the cold and of cause Holt[/quote]Add to that Theoklitos, Nelson, Whaley, Tudor-Jones, Gill...Oh. Wait.

If you sign 13 players, some are going to do ok, some are bound to fail. Still undecided on Askou btw, brilliant header of a ball though.

Fair point, some of them look horrific such as Gill, Nelson and Whaley doesnt look like he cares much either. But Askou, Holt, Cody, Hughes. Bringing back McVeigh and insisting on the youth players getting into first team action has showed he wasn''t all that bad when it comes to knowing who is capable... it''s just a shame he had faith in people who were quite clearly awful too! haha

If gunny had put that team out today we would have got stuffed again, maybe similar score to Colchester.

[quote user="matt crowhurst"]Probably going to get shot down for this but i think Gunny should get some credit for today. Mcveigh, Alnwick, Smith, Hughes, Cody, Askou,  all Gunnys signings or progressed from the youth team by Gunny, Spillane and lappin brought back from the cold and of cause Holt[/quote]

What about the seven, YES SEVEN, out of Gunn''s 12 signings that weren''t even on the bench?

At the moment the only thing I can credit Gunn with over the summer is the signing of Holt, some others I''ve alreday written off, the rest -the jury''s still out.

How did I know, someone would make a thread and say give some credit to Gunn.

The thing is, it''s not all about signing a bunch of players and sticking them on the pitch and expect them to win matches. It''s all about who to play, what formation, what tactics to play. when to bring on subs etc. Gunn was completely useless at this. The team was so unorganised and looked a complete shambles. At least we have someone now, who know''s what he''s doing. Dropping Dotherty was an excellent start!

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

At the moment the only thing I can credit Gunn with over the summer is the signing of Holt, some others I''ve alreday written off, the rest -the jury''s still out.

[/quote]

And Lambo tried to sign him whilst at hard up Col Who!

[quote user="colneycanary"]How did I know, someone would make a thread and say give some credit to Gunn. The thing is, it''s not all about signing a bunch of players and sticking them on the pitch and expect them to win matches. It''s all about who to play, what formation, what tactics to play. when to bring on subs etc. Gunn was completely useless at this. The team was so unorganised and looked a complete shambles. At least we have someone now, who know''s what he''s doing. Dropping Dotherty was an excellent start![/quote]

Gunn made the Doc captain........here endeth todays lesson.[:S]

[quote user="colneycanary"] At least we have someone now, who know''s what he''s doing. Dropping Dotherty was an excellent start![/quote]Yes, the centre of defence looked very tight without him!

Doherty had been captain under Roeder as well Wiz.Gunn should be credited for some of the players he brought in, but he could have done that in his previous role as Head of Recruitment.  He has also clearly brought some absolute stinkers in.  What is important now is Lambert gets a team together who are passionate, something which was evident today.

[quote user="matt crowhurst"]Probably going to get shot down for this but i think Gunny should get some credit for today. Mcveigh, Alnwick, Smith, Hughes, Cody, Askou,  all Gunnys signings or progressed from the youth team by Gunny, Spillane and lappin brought back from the cold and of cause Holt[/quote]

Jesus Crowhurst....go and shine Gunns shoe''s!  All of our managers have brought in good players,shall we credit Gunn with relegation??

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="colneycanary"]How did I know, someone would make a thread and say give some credit to Gunn. The thing is, it''s not all about signing a bunch of players and sticking them on the pitch and expect them to win matches. It''s all about who to play, what formation, what tactics to play. when to bring on subs etc. Gunn was completely useless at this. The team was so unorganised and looked a complete shambles. At least we have someone now, who know''s what he''s doing. Dropping Dotherty was an excellent start![/quote]

[/quote]Nuff said

No I fail to see how Gunn gets any credit for today, by the same token are you saying Nigel Worthington and Peter Grant deserve some recognition for bringing Drury and Lappin to the club? Of course they don''t.

It was Paul Lamberts team today, he made 6 changes to the starting line-up, it worked because every single player worked hard and we had natural width in Lappin and McVeigh.

[quote user="refjezhitchin"]

No I fail to see how Gunn gets any credit for today, by the same token are you saying Nigel Worthington and Peter Grant deserve some recognition for bringing Drury and Lappin to the club? Of course they don''t.

It was Paul Lamberts team today, he made 6 changes to the starting line-up, it worked because every single player worked hard and we had natural width in Lappin and McVeigh.

[/quote]

yeap!! Would Gunn have the forsight to make these changes......urghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh No!!enough said......bye bye gunn!

So Lambert makes a load of changes to field a very different side to we were playing under Gunn in the Colchester or Yeovil games, an indication he didn''t think much of the first XI Gunn was playing and we are meant to give him credit???????????????????

I think we are about to see how a proper manager runs the team.  I was surprised with the team today at first but then saw the sense of it.  I think it sends out a clear message to a number of players and I can''t help but keep coming back to his comment about 30 professionals being too many.  How many of Gunn''s signings do you think he would like to "move on"?

Didnt once say that Gunn did a good job just think he should get some credit for managing to bring some quality players in. Yes some we may never see again and i wouldn''t miss them but some could be the making of our season like Cody, Mcveigh, Hughes and Holt who had other teams chasing and wanting him but one of the main reasons he came here was because of Gunn as he has told me himself.oh and yes i do think worthington and grant should get credit for bringing quality players in like drury and lappin of which one has given us consistent performances for a number of years and the other has demonstrated his desire to stay here and fight for his place and is now getting the credit his determination deserves, somebody Russell could model himself on

[quote user="Dronny Canary"]I think we are about to see how a proper manager runs the team.  I was surprised with the team today at first but then saw the sense of it.  I think it sends out a clear message to a number of players and I can''t help but keep coming back to his comment about 30 professionals being too many.  How many of Gunn''s signings do you think he would like to "move on"?[/quote]

exactly! 7or 8,but we will see!

If as a manager you set your sights on enough players one or two of them are likely to be half-decent. We had the (correctly) much-maligned Blarneymeister Hamilton, with his job lot acquisitions, to thank for the excellent Gary Holt.

lack of funds could be the cause of that .

considering we had  holes everywhere in the team , i think he was fighting a very hard battle .

im glad the ones that cost money are working out .. ie holt ,

dam shame about the pants keeper though but i should imagine that was crooks recomendation .

I think it''s worth pointing out that had Gunny still been in charge and had he started Cureton and Otsemobor for this game, the crowd would have booed them. Saying Lambert is a wonderful manager for playing these two, when you''ve all been saying they are terrible players, not fit to wear the shirt, is a bit rich.

Maybe we can all realise that we have a squad of decent players, some will come good, some won''t. Doesn''t make them all shambolic players, sometimes tactics, clubs, cities, team-mates, coaching or other things make a player appear better or worse than his natural ability.

i think gunn bit of more than he could chew .

we cant be that bad we have had some random form , i can only put this down to the team has not bedded in yet and this takes more than one or two games .

[/quote]*claps*

[/quote]As did Worthington, Grant, and Roeder before him.

I think it''s worth pointing out that had Gunny still been in charge and had he started Cureton and Otsemobor for this game, the crowd would have booed them. Saying Lambert is a wonderful manager for playing these two, when you''ve all been saying they are terrible players, not fit to wear the shirt, is a bit rich.

Maybe we can all realise that we have a squad of decent players, some will come good, some won''t. Doesn''t make them all shambolic players, sometimes tactics, clubs, cities, team-mates, coaching or other things make a player appear better or worse than his natural ability.

What a great post - I am sick of people slagging off City players on here -Doherty , Ostemabor, Cureton, Whaley to name just a few

You will see players have good games , average games and poor games - but leave it to the manager to select the best squad to beat the opposition

I missed the Colchester game.so I cannot comment o the long term ability of Theo and Nelson - but I can tell you that Doc, Semi and Cureton can play apart in achieving Championships tatus for City

Equally Whaley''s performances against Wigan and Exeter

were ok - he had to show his defending abilities for most of the games but did last 90 minutes

At present Hughes, Gill ,Adeyemi and McVeigh are not fully fit and are dying after 60 - 70 minutes

So yes - lets support the whole squad and accept Askou and Spillanes blunders before we want them hanged along side Dohertty

To be honest, I''m not particularly fussed who plays or who doesn''t.  I just like to have the feeling that when the team comes out on the pitch that we have a plan and some structure to our play.  Over the past few years this has been the greatest concern for me when watching the team - the feeling that no-one really knows what they are doing!!!  Hopefully we now have someone who can properly address this.  The team selection from Saturday suggests a bit of thought and rhyme and reason - even if they weren''t the 11 I would have picked.  It perhaps shows why Lambert is in charge and not sad idiots like me and some of the others on here!