Sign in to follow this  
bristol_canary

is Wes worth keeping onto??

After reading a few posts on here about Hoolihans quick getaway from carrow road yesterday. I was trying to think of what he has actually done for Norwich City....not alot in his time here, ok he''s had an injury or two but he has not really been as inlfluential in games as promising reviews suggested from his days at Blackpool. From what I have seen of him he has been a tricky little player on the ball but to me he seems to lightweight for the job in hand. He has had moments of class but not the consistency to go with it. He could well be one of the higher earners at the club and I think the sensible option would be to cash in on him now before the window shuts. So get rid or keep?

With Hoolahan you almost have to set up your team around him.........

Its almost natural that you leave yourself stretched on the left side when defending........

It drags some of the central defenders/midfield out of position.

With a more solid left sider like Lappin who can defend, you have a shape that is much more difficult to exploit.

Lambert said yesterday that they (Colchester against us) actually set up to exploit the left hand side because they knew Hoolahan was playing.

I think Lambert wants the the more solid 4-4-2 that players can move in and out of when we have injuries......

My vote is for selling Wes and bringing in Hucks in October as cover/impact bench player........
I think Hucks would crush off the bench late in the game as opponents tire.......

Another negative for Wes is he seems a bit too sulky/moody.
Not good if you are trying to create a positive dressing room attitude.........

Getting the huff after winning 5-2 is a bit out of order........

Another who may be on his way for the same reasons is Whaley.
Going by the reports at Preston and here he has a bit of an attitude sometimes.
He either needs to STFU and get on with it or he is back into the same position he was in at Preston.....

Dont think hes heart is really in it .After yesteday id say sell but before yesterday id have said keep.I think Hughes, Cody Mac, Holt, Askou will be key for us this season.

get rid.let lambo get a coupld of his own in. we don''t need to play around one player! (unless it''s Hucks! [;)] )

[quote user="USAcanary"]

With Hoolahan you almost have to set up your team around him.........

Its almost natural that you leave yourself stretched on the left side when defending........

It drags some of the central defenders/midfield out of position.

With a more solid left sider like Lappin who can defend, you have a shape that is much more difficult to exploit.

Lambert said yesterday that they (Colchester against us) actually set up to exploit the left hand side because they knew Hoolahan was playing.

I think Lambert wants the the more solid 4-4-2 that players can move in and out of when we have injuries......

My vote is for selling Wes and bringing in Hucks in October as cover/impact bench player........
I think Hucks would crush off the bench late in the game as opponents tire.......

Another negative for Wes is he seems a bit too sulky/moody.
Not good if you are trying to create a positive dressing room attitude.........

Getting the huff after winning 5-2 is a bit out of order........

Another who may be on his way for the same reasons is Whaley.
Going by the reports at Preston and here he has a bit of an attitude sometimes.
He either needs to STFU and get on with it or he is back into the same position he was in at Preston.....

[/quote]

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh! [8o|]

So, let me get this right USA. You want to sell Wes as he leaves us defensively vulnerable and bring in Huckerby, albeit just as a bench player, who would .... leave us defensively vulnerable?Seems like you''d cut off your nose to spite your face.

Agree with you there, Googler - we often found that imbalance problem when playing with Hucks in the side unless he was playing as a striker.

IMO Hoolahan has ability but not enough pace, and it showed yesterday that a player like Lappin can easily be as (if not more) effective.

On balance, should I need to raise some ££ (as Lambert may want to do), I guess I''d sell Wes.

it''s nice to know i''m not the only one who noticed Wes was stroppy yesterday!

I got quite a bit of abuse for my opinions of him on the board last night, but I really don''t have anytime for players who thinks they''re bigger than this club.

Technically Wes is one of our most gifted player in our squad, but he''s a luxury player we can ill afford in our current situation, and Lappin really proved the solution for me yesterday.

Your Hoolahans will win you games but your Lappins will win you silverware!

Difficult one to answer. On paper he is the most talented guy in the squad and a great option to have. The flip side is that it is difficult to know where to play him and he is VERY lightweight in this division. Personally i would like to keep him but I''m 99% certain that he wants out and that Lambert would be prepared to sell

I would be very surprised if he is still with us in September

I''ve thought all along that Hoolahan doesn''t live up to his billing. He was brought in as the replacement for huckerby, but not once has he looked like he could fill one of darren''s boots, let alone both. Maybe it is unfair to judge him against one of our greatest recent players, but he still doesn''t make the grade for me for several reasons.

He is frustrating to watch as he is constantly turning into trouble. He''ll make some space for himself, but then turn back into another player to take him on. He has very few assists and very few goals. His poor attitude is now becoming apparent - so much so that he could soon receive the same treatment as mark fotheringham from the fans. Some of the players recogised after the game against wycombe that the side suddenly had balance - hardly surprising when you actually have a winger on each flank prepared to run the lines rather than having a drifter coming in and out of the game when he likes, believing he has licence to do so because he can make the odd player look silly when he dances around him.

So maybe Hoolahan would be better suited to supporting the strikers - playing in the hole -  rather than being assigned a flank - but when we''re struggling to get the bread and butter right atm, do we really want to be arsing about with diamond formations and the like?

Hoolahan just doesnt fit the kind of football we''ve been playing for the last couple of seasons nor the kind of football we need to be playing right now. He may slot into other teams better, but definitely not into ours.

[quote user="Jimbo_Jet_Set"]

Difficult one to answer. On paper he is the most talented guy in the squad and a great option to have. The flip side is that it is difficult to know where to play him and he is VERY lightweight in this division. Personally i would like to keep him but I''m 99% certain that he wants out and that Lambert would be prepared to sell

I would be very surprised if he is still with us in September

[/quote]

Here''s a question: if he is such carp why did Yeovil and Brentford attempt to put two players on him?  Just for fun or because they perceived him as a threat?

Despite City Angel''s view otherwise I am not an expert on Norwich City but the last City player I can recall having two men attached to him was Huckerby.

Any others to be double marked in your squad?

Personally, being Irish, I want him out for his own good and at least considered for our national team which he won''t be in League One.

Get rid,

No offence, good little player, little being the word.

He is not strong on the ball and in a physical league we need physical players, we bought him on a couple of good performances against us and he has not cut it in my mind....

Cam, most Norwich fans will agree that Wes is technically a gifted player, but he''s a chalk and cheese kind of guy! As good as he is, the cons just out weight the pros! He would of fitted in to our team a few years back when we had Safri. Those two would of really complimented each other.

[quote user="Yellow Submarine"]Cam, most Norwich fans will agree that Wes is technically a gifted player, but he''s a chalk and cheese kind of guy! As good as he is, the cons just out weight the pros! He would of fitted in to our team a few years back when we had Safri. Those two would of really complimented each other.[/quote]

Good.  I want him out![:)]

Keep him. We''ll need his quality against the better teams in this division. Plus I''d like to seem him play with Hughes in midfield as he will be able to get the ball to Wes in better areas of the field than OTJ or Gill could.Lets face it the goals on Saturday were mainly from set plays and Wycombe couldn''t deal with them, teams like Leeds and Charlton will be well able to cope. Thats where Wes''s creativity will come into play.