Sign in to follow this  
Mister Chops

Player Ratings - Norwich v Wycombe

No - I dont think Mr Chops is a tough man to please,  just putting the performance in context.  5-2 did not flatter us,  with  the possession we had we should have scored several more AND had a something nil score as they had no ability or intent,  and we did not.

Just what the squad needed,   but its was far from a good performance

WLY and Laps gave the team a more balanced look and i''d stick with them, as mentioned i think Cash from Hoolahan would be more useful for us now.

Alnwick – 6 – couldn’t of done anything with either goals did OK though, still question marks on his distribution

Drury 7 – composed at the back did well, helped out the lesser experienced players was calm on the ball.

Askou 6 – was at fault for first goal, doesn’t seem to be able to judge the flight of the ball, made up for it with a bullet front post header for our 4th goal

Spillane 7 – solid performer, good going forward, was at fault for 2nd goal though as he got turned too easily in the penalty area

Otsemobor 7 – great going forward, one of his better games, but is inconsistent hopefully Lambert can help him come more consistent, scored a lucky goal but was in the right place to header the ball home.

McVeigh 7 – played brilliant was involved in at least 3 of the goals, didn’t think I’d ever see him start another Norwich game, strange seeing him in a Norwich shirt, offered us the width that had been lacking from Whaley

Smith – 7 – battling performance from him, took his goal well and looks a great prospect

Hughes – 6 – looks creative but unfit, needs a few more games

Lappin – 8 – another battler, and 2 excellent free kicks to set up goals from Askou and Holt, again offered us much more width than Hoolahan

Holt – 9 – captain led by example 2 excellent goals, challenged for everything, could well be the next Iwan Roberts

Cureton – 6 – not too bad, but not too good, well short of match practice, could form a decent partnership with Holt though, needs a goal to boost his and the fans confidence.

SUBS

McDonald – 6 – had a good half hour, still think he is out of his depth, but hopefully Lambert can work on his raw talent, excellent guile, made some excellent runs

Adeyemi – 7 – Didn’t really know what the fuss was about with this kid, but proved today he can make it, a tough battler who reminds me of a young Patrick Vieira in the middle of the park.

Hoolahan – 6 – Didn’t look bothered, made some encouraging runs but out shone by Lappin in every area, will struggle to get in the team if Lappin keeps up his form

Jeez you are hard to please. It might be Wycombe but they are in the same league as us so i don''t think you can say it was only...

[quote user="refjezhitchin"]

Cureton – 6 – not too bad, but not too good, well short of match practice, could form a decent partnership with Holt though, needs a goal to boost his and the fans confidence.

SUBS

McDonald – 6 – had a good half hour, still think he is out of his depth, but hopefully Lambert can work on his raw talent, excellent guile, made some excellent runs

[/quote]So basically you are saying you saw no difference between someone who tried hard but did nothing (cureton) and someone who replaced Cureton and set up one goal with great delaying forward play and then linked up time after time with Holt to look very promising?If you think McDonald looks out of his depth next to Cureton, you need glasses.

Besides his excellent pass to Holt, I saw no difference between the two players....

McDonald gets 6 in my eyes on virtue of the fact, yes still looks a little out of his depth at this level, but I believe with the right management he will come good!

COdys impact was clear - direct at tiring subs,  drawing the yellow card, dragging their centre backs across the park and being direct with the ball at his feet.

Cureton had one or two lay offs and one good chipped effort in the first half,   it was not enough or good enough,  Cody was the better of the two on the day by some way.

However his learning is continuing and when he starts the centre backs are fresher and stronger and the effect of his energy and pace are hugely reduced as experienced players like Duberry and cope and use their better knowledge to minimise his impact.  Yesterday was the perfect demonstration of why Cody remains the player to bring on after an hour.

That does leave a problem around who to start with.  NO one has yet made a good impression as Holts partner.  Which I think leaves two options,  and we should give both a go over the next couple of weeks - Maric and Hoolahan.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

No - I dont think Mr Chops is a tough man to please,  just putting the performance in context.  5-2 did not flatter us,  with  the possession we had we should have scored several more AND had a something nil score as they had no ability or intent,  and we did not.

Just what the squad needed,   but its was far from a good performance

[/quote]

You have got to be kidding!!!!  This was a team with 1 point on th board, a -8 goal difference and zero confidence going into th game.  It was a VERY good performance. Agreed that we once again conceded sloppy goals but Wycombe didn''t get a look in!  The difference being COMMITMENT!  We dominated the midfield with Hughes and Smith who were both superb (whoever said Hughes gave the ball away easily wasn''t watching). It was a revelation to see tackles flying in and 50/50 balls won constantly by yellow shirted players.  There was however one notable exception and that was Cureton.  Apart from a couple of nice touches he was, yet again, woeful.  Yards of the pace on numerous occasions and more chances missed.  The icing on the cake being his refusal to even compete for a ball against the keeper, outside his area, when he was a good 60/40 favourite.  He just gave up!!! The difference when McDonald came on was obvious for all to see.  Holts second came from the fact that Cody had already run at the gap between the 2 centre halves twice before and tried to go through.  Expecting the same, they both stepped in and...... great pass, great finish.

As for the rest, I think you can say we got better as the game went on, once players settled and became used to each other.  Both Lappin and Drury started slowly, the latter playing 3 or 4 aimless lofted balls, in the general direction of Curetons head of all places, but both went from strength to strength and had great games.  Holt again was maginificent.  Lamberts decision to give him the arm band was inspired as he led, quite literally, from the front. A tireless workhorse with a fantastic eye for goal and without doubt the best signing for several years,  The man has Canary Legend stamped all over him.  As for WLY, great to see him back.

If not just for the sake of consistency I would start next Saturday with the same team................. with the one obvious exception.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="big dick sanchez"]You are a tough man to please Mr Chops. [/quote]Maybe.  It was Wycombe Wanderers, which was taken into account, but you could raise everyone''s score by 0.5 and I''d probably think that was a fair thing to do (except the CBs).[/quote]Cheers Chops. Balanced as ever. Cheers for not dishing out 9s all over the shop.

Good win, and overall a good performance, but still a bit concerned about defensive frailties - Spillane has some good qualities, but gets knocked off the ball a bit too easily for me, and with some of the big b%ggars in this league, that is a worry. Also the keeper''s a bit small and lightweight - their two goals were basic errors from our key defenders and on another day might have seen us drop 1 or 2 points. Still very happy with the win, and Lambert seems to have the courage to make some big decisions and take a bit of risk. So a Team rating for me of 7 with Lappin my man of the match and worth an 8+. But more important for me is Lambert who I give a 9 to. Also must mention the Ref - I thought he was excellent, and fair, and I''d also give him an 8.

We dominated the midfield mainly because Wycombe sat back and were poor. Despite that possession/pressure we rarely looked like scoring from open play until Cody was introduced. 

As I have mentioned there were good performances, Hughes and Smith give us hope in the centre,   Lappin was superb with a still ball and WLY showed class when he got the ball,  worked hard when off it (started 5th goal). Holt impressed with his touch, McDonald and Adeyemi look solid bench players to have. Drury looks like he may be returning to the form we know he is capabale of and Alnwick looks like he will be ok in this league.

But there is still so much to build on.  In midfield how will we fare against better teams (Wycombe had relegation candidates stamped all over them and we will struggle to play a worse team for effort and ability this season),  can we compete then and will we create?  Are we only going to score goals from set pieces?  Can we afford to have two aging midfielders on the wings against better sides?   At the back 3 of the back four will have to focus, position and defend far far better,  if they conceed two sloppy goals when they are not put under pressure how will they fare under the cosh?  We know how Ots goes,  nothing yesterday suggests Spillane or Berthel Asko will do any better.  Up front Holt will need a better partner to link with to hold the ball up and away from the defence. 

The result was crucial.   It was the right result and such a releif to celebrate 5 goals.  But it felt very reminiscent of the 4-0 Gunn performance and rather than solving the problems highlighted some core problems. 

Alnwick - 7Semmy - 6 A good game for semmy, maybe because he had mcviegh ahead of himSpillane - 5 Had a tough game against Harrod, who looked very impressiveAskou - 6Drury - 6Smith - 7 A great debut for the young lad, tenacious and didn''t look light-weightWLY - 8 Oozes class. Great first touch, a superb display of a range of passing and we scored from 2 of his corners and his pass set off the play for the 5th goalHughes - 7 A lot better in the middle than the restLappin - 8 Superb set-pieces, unlucky not to have two goals from two superb free-kicks (great saves) and good crossing. Him and mcveigh both tired quite a lot.Holt - 8 Apart from that one miss and almost perfect game for the big ladCureton - 5

My Turn.

Alnwick - 7 - A good performance, claimed one corner superbly and made a few comfortable saves. Made 1 poor kick out, and 1 boot that went straight to their keeper. Not a special performance but a good one.

Otsemobor - 8 - Played well, headed the ball and stood some players up - nearly made one of his amazing overlapping runs and scored a bloody goal!

Askou - 7 - Superb goal, but did make a mistake which lead to a goal, the only thing holding him back from an 8.

Spillane - 7 - Fantastic tackles, but again like askou made a mistake which lead to a goal which holds him back from an 8.

Drury - 8 - Mislead 1 pass which was his only foot wrong in the game, got stuck in and played very well.

McVeigh - 8 - Loving the flicks and nifty passes from him, and a well loved player by the crowd too. All he needs now is a bit more fitness.

Hughes - 8 - Cracking player, won the ball and kept it.. what a midfielder should do.

Smith - 8 - Loved the passion he showed and his goal was great, will put him on cloud 9. He wasn''t going to be pushed over by the wycombe midfield, either.

Lappin - 8 - He gets an 8 just for his set pieces, on the ball he made a few decent runs and passes too.

Holt - 9 - MOTM - Superb player, my hero :P. In almost Rooney like fashion, you saw him helping out in his own area to win the ball back aswell as in their half. 100% commitment.

Cureton - 7 - I do feel for cureton, he ran his socks off but didn''t really make an impact. Made a few nifty passes and nearly scored a cheeky chip (which would have made him a hero).

Substitues:

McDonald - 7 - Made some great runs and really got the crowd excited. Didn''t come on long enough to deserve an 8, though.

Adeyemi - 7 - Played well, looks like smith and he are going to be ones for the future. Again not on the pitch long enough to deserve an 8.

Hoolahan - 6 - Holds on to the ball far too long and looked out of place compared to the team. Go to swansea.

[quote user="Lincs CR"]Alnwick 6.5 - Not at fault for either goal, defensive errors letting him down. Very vocal, safe pair of hands, did what was asked for him. Otsemobor 6.5 - Scored with a good header, got forward a fair bit however looked a little shaky when their left winger was running at him. Spillane 7 - Solid performance, doesn''t look out of his depth at all, seems to work with Askou quite well. Doc finally has someone to compete with for this position Askou 7 - Would have been higher had he not been tentative resulting in a potential comeback for Wycombe. Great header for his goal though, just great... Drury 6.5 - Looked solid today, his link up play with Lappin was top class but some his passes were sloppy and concentration levels dipped at times. McVeigh 7 - Rolling back the years, some lovely neat touches and great link up play with the strikers, looks like he has more to offer Lappin 8.5 (my MoM) - Lappin came under a lot of stick from fans, but has done himself no harm today. Set Pieces were superb, runs off the shoulder of the full back was causing Wycombe no end of problems, delivery spot on too. Hughes 7 - Closed down the midfield, did a job similar to Clingan last year. Kept the ball moving and was the catalyst that linked everything together today. Bit of an unsung hero IMO. Smith 8 - What a talent this boy looks. He may look tiny but he was winning balls in the air and flying in for tackles. Stunning shot for his goal... doesn''t look AT ALL out of his depth. More to come from him no doubt! Holt 8.5 - 2 good goals, can play with the ball into head, into his body and into feet, both in and out of the box... the striker we have been crying out for for a long time! Cureton 7 - Not many chances fell for him today but certainly has something to offer in this league under Lambert. Could be a good partner for Holt... I think a lot rests on who gets off the mark first, Curo or Cody! Subs - Adeyemi 7.5 - great box to box player, really reminds of Damien Francis when he used to be here. Has a lot more to offer I am sure... McDonald 7 - Had the odd half chance. Their bulky defenders could do nothing but drag him back at times... once he gets a bit more composure could be a great super sub in this league. Hoolahan 5 - Faffed around on the edge of his own box again, almost cost us a goal, can run past players but sadly had no final product. I honestly don''t think he will be missed...[/quote]

Would have to agree with that. Would still like to see Cody get a few more games with Holt.

Besides his excellent pass to Holt, I saw no difference between the two players....

McDonald gets 6 in my eyes on virtue of the fact, yes still looks a little out of his depth at this level, but I believe with the right management he will come good!

[/quote]

Dude no offence but you must be watching a different player. I think with a few more games with Holt we will see a good partnership.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

We dominated the midfield mainly because Wycombe sat back and were poor. Despite that possession/pressure we rarely looked like scoring from open play until Cody was introduced. 

As I have mentioned there were good performances, Hughes and Smith give us hope in the centre,   Lappin was superb with a still ball and WLY showed class when he got the ball,  worked hard when off it (started 5th goal). Holt impressed with his touch, McDonald and Adeyemi look solid bench players to have. Drury looks like he may be returning to the form we know he is capabale of and Alnwick looks like he will be ok in this league.

But there is still so much to build on.  In midfield how will we fare against better teams (Wycombe had relegation candidates stamped all over them and we will struggle to play a worse team for effort and ability this season),  can we compete then and will we create?  Are we only going to score goals from set pieces?  Can we afford to have two aging midfielders on the wings against better sides?   At the back 3 of the back four will have to focus, position and defend far far better,  if they conceed two sloppy goals when they are not put under pressure how will they fare under the cosh?  We know how Ots goes,  nothing yesterday suggests Spillane or Berthel Asko will do any better.  Up front Holt will need a better partner to link with to hold the ball up and away from the defence. 

The result was crucial.   It was the right result and such a releif to celebrate 5 goals.  But it felt very reminiscent of the 4-0 Gunn performance and rather than solving the problems highlighted some core problems. 

[/quote]

I thought Asko & Spillane looked more promising a pairing IMO. Give them some games to bed in and im sure you will see an improvement. At least with these two I didn''t feel worried like when the Doc plays. I know they made mistakes but I have a good feeling about these two.

Dude, he has had a few games with holt and McDonald is quite clearly not able to start a game at this level YET.

I''m not saying the signs aren''t good because I think he''ll come good but at the moment there is very little to chose between Cureton and McDonald

Dude, he has had a few games with holt and McDonald is quite clearly not able to start a game at this level YET.

I''m not saying the signs aren''t good because I think he''ll come good but at the moment there is very little to chose between Cureton and McDonald

[/quote]Yup, just the "McDonald scores goals and creates goals" thing.

[quote user="Jack Flash"]Good win, and overall a good performance, but still a bit concerned about defensive frailties - Spillane has some good qualities, but gets knocked off the ball a bit too easily for me, and with some of the big b%ggars in this league, that is a worry. Also the keeper''s a bit small and lightweight - their two goals were basic errors from our key defenders and on another day might have seen us drop 1 or 2 points. Still very happy with the win, and Lambert seems to have the courage to make some big decisions and take a bit of risk. So a Team rating for me of 7 with Lappin my man of the match and worth an 8+. But more important for me is Lambert who I give a 9 to. Also must mention the Ref - I thought he was excellent, and fair, and I''d also give him an 8.[/quote]

To be fair, the referee was completely fooled by Lappin''s dive for the free kick from which our fourth goal was scored.

[/quote]

Fair enough but for me I would rather stake money on Cody scoring than Jamie at the moment. Lets hope Lambert can bring the best out of both of them.

[quote user="Lineo"]My Turn.

Alnwick - 7 - A good performance, claimed one corner superbly and made a few comfortable saves. Made 1 poor kick out, and 1 boot that went straight to their keeper. Not a special performance but a good one.

Otsemobor - 8 - Played well, headed the ball and stood some players up - nearly made one of his amazing overlapping runs and scored a bloody goal!

Askou - 7 - Superb goal, but did make a mistake which lead to a goal, the only thing holding him back from an 8.

Spillane - 7 - Fantastic tackles, but again like askou made a mistake which lead to a goal which holds him back from an 8.

Drury - 8 - Mislead 1 pass which was his only foot wrong in the game, got stuck in and played very well.

McVeigh - 8 - Loving the flicks and nifty passes from him, and a well loved player by the crowd too. All he needs now is a bit more fitness.

Hughes - 8 - Cracking player, won the ball and kept it.. what a midfielder should do.

Smith - 8 - Loved the passion he showed and his goal was great, will put him on cloud 9. He wasn''t going to be pushed over by the wycombe midfield, either.

Lappin - 8 - He gets an 8 just for his set pieces, on the ball he made a few decent runs and passes too.

Holt - 9 - MOTM - Superb player, my hero :P. In almost Rooney like fashion, you saw him helping out in his own area to win the ball back aswell as in their half. 100% commitment.

Cureton - 7 - I do feel for cureton, he ran his socks off but didn''t really make an impact. Made a few nifty passes and nearly scored a cheeky chip (which would have made him a hero).

Substitues:

McDonald - 7 - Made some great runs and really got the crowd excited. Didn''t come on long enough to deserve an 8, though.

Adeyemi - 7 - Played well, looks like smith and he are going to be ones for the future. Again not on the pitch long enough to deserve an 8.

Hoolahan - 6 - Holds on to the ball far too long and looked out of place compared to the team. Go to swansea.

[/quote]

You

Substitues:

[/quote]

You say

Substitues:

[/quote]

You say me