Sign in to follow this  
Mister Chops

Player Ratings - Norwich v Wycombe

Alnwick- 6.5 - did what was required, not to blame for either goal, distribution okay

Otsemobor - 6.5 - big improvement on the Semi of the last few months, time will tell if it''s permanent or not

Askou - 6 - great goal, and not just saying that because I had 7/1 on him to score at any time.  However, badly at fault for their 1st goal.

Spillane - 6 - some good clearances but at fault for their 2nd goal

Drury - 6.5 - decent game, didn''t do much wrong and tidied up nicely

McVeigh - 6.5 - didn''t think he had 90 mins in him and he did fade after 70, but put in dangerous crosses all day long

Hughes - 7 - composed and controlled, the midfielder we''ve been crying out for, good on the ball and busy off the ball

Korey Smith - 6.5 - like a decent Darel Russell, lots of effort and good to see him score

Lappin - 6.5 - lacks pace for a winger but good delivery

Holt - 8 - MOM - a great all round display, holding it up, laying it off, poaching a great first goal and bagging a composed second

Cureton - 6 - didn''t score, but did anyone expect him to?  However, his all round game looked improved, he looked a stone or so lighter and physically fit, and he worked his socks off.  Did well enough but don''t expect he''ll start the next game because...

SUBS

McDonald - 7 - he and Holt have an understanding which is highly promising - great 5th goal interchange between the two

Adeyemi - 6- struggled to start with but improved as the game wore on

Hoolahan - 4 - frustrating, enigmatic, and probably never here again unless he''s on the away team.

Great to see a well organised, passionate, hard working team in place of the rabble of the last few games.  Well done Paul Lambert.

Cheers for that[Y] So Hooli is off then??? Your word,enigmatic,sums him up to a tee!

[quote user="Mister Chops"]

Cureton - 6 - didn''t score, but did anyone expect him to?  However, his all round game looked improved, he looked a stone or so lighter and physically fit, and he worked his socks off.  Did well enough but don''t expect he''ll start the next game because...

[/quote]Lambert only picked him to put him in the shop window?

[quote user="Icecream Snow"][quote user="Mister Chops"]

[/quote]Lambert only picked him to put him in the shop window?[/quote]I was going to say because Holt & McDonald look a genuinely quality partnership, but there may be some truth in what you say.  However if strikers in the shop window don''t score then I guess they don''t get bought.

[quote user="big dick sanchez"]You are a tough man to please Mr Chops. [/quote]Maybe.  It was Wycombe Wanderers, which was taken into account, but you could raise everyone''s score by 0.5 and I''d probably think that was a fair thing to do (except the CBs).

Yeah, fair summary i''d say. Hoolahan did annoy me that time when he tried to dummy it 6000000 times before trying to cross it but lost it grrrrrrrrrr :(

Lappin was a 7 for me. Great deliveries. Semi scored ;) Knew he would.

Overall good peformance, two bad mistakes though :(

Surely Lambert must be trying to get a Goalie in or Get alnwick for longer, cause he left out theo completely and put steer, not rudd on the bench :S

So to summerise, 5-2 was a flattering result? I think the changes Lambert made today were pivotal to this result. Smith in midfield, Docs on the bench. Thats how you win games.

Saying that McDonald should have started.

Reasonably fair ratings. But I would say you''re being a tad hrash on a few of the players. Lappin, Korey Smith and McVeigh were better than 6.5. In my opinion they were at least ''as good'' as Stephen Hughes. In fact I''d give the three of them a 7.5 and Hughes a 7, simply because he did lose the ball too often to gain a higher rating.

Holt was fantastic - even better than an 8. The good thing was it was not just his goals, his all round play was excellent.

[quote user="Brendan"]Twas good thanks, Norwich. You have good day? x :)[/quote]

Yepp great thanks! Watching the cricket whilst listening to the might canaries! :) I was shouting you when Semmy scored! What a legend! :D

Alnwick (6) - Didn''t really put a foot wrong, but then wasn''t tested that much and did concede twice
Otsemobor (6) - Never truly looked dangerous, a bit too lightweight. Saying that it was a good guided header that gave us the comfortable third
Spillane (6.5) - Solid performance from a player who was bound to be a bit nervy in front of the home fans. At fault for the first Wycombe goal though
Askou (7.5) - Won every ball he went for, and a solid threat at set pieces as shown by his great movement to create the space for his goal, perhaps Gunn''s legacy is Askou
Drury (7) - Great link up with Lappin throughout first half and got stuck in when he needed too, his performances are on the up now he''s getting some games
Paul McVeigh (8) - Always looked a threat and wanted to get into the game. Some fantastic cross field balls to Lappin in particular. We love you Paul McVeigh...
Simon Lappin (8.5) - Non-Stop graft from the number 19. Was at the centre of most of Norwich''s moves today. Almost scored a great lob. My Man of the Match
Korey Smith (7.5) - A promising game for the youngster, certainly didn''t look out of place and wasn''t afraid to get stuck in
Stephen Hughes (7) - By nature he''s a quiet player, and if you don''t notice him it means he''s doing his job of feeding in others. Good game
Grant Holt (7.5) - May have got the Man of the Match from the sponsors but apart from his goals there wasn''t too much from the captain. Some good possession play though
Jamie Cureton (6.5) - Looked eager and wanted to get involved. Never really threatened the Wycombe goal though, still start him against Sunderland if he''s not in need of a rest
SUBS
Tom Adeyemi (7.5) - Continued his great start to his Norwich career and perhaps pushed for a start on Monday
Cody McDonald (6.5) - Looked threatening and played intelligently but could have used his pace a little better against a booked centre back and the slow ageing Duberry
Wes Hoolahan (4) - Shocker. Should have ran circles round the tired opponents but looked disinterested and looks like he''s not expecting to be playing in yellow much longer

[quote user="West Ham Canary"]Alnwick (6) - Didn''t really put a foot wrong, but then wasn''t tested that much and did concede twice
Otsemobor (6) - Never truly looked dangerous, a bit too lightweight. Saying that it was a good guided header that gave us the comfortable third
Spillane (6.5) - Solid performance from a player who was bound to be a bit nervy in front of the home fans. At fault for the first Wycombe goal though
Askou (7.5) - Won every ball he went for, and a solid threat at set pieces as shown by his great movement to create the space for his goal, perhaps Gunn''s legacy is Askou
Drury (7) - Great link up with Lappin throughout first half and got stuck in when he needed too, his performances are on the up now he''s getting some games
Paul McVeigh (8) - Always looked a threat and wanted to get into the game. Some fantastic cross field balls to Lappin in particular. We love you Paul McVeigh...
Simon Lappin (8.5) - Non-Stop graft from the number 19. Was at the centre of most of Norwich''s moves today. Almost scored a great lob. My Man of the Match
Korey Smith (7.5) - A promising game for the youngster, certainly didn''t look out of place and wasn''t afraid to get stuck in
Stephen Hughes (7) - By nature he''s a quiet player, and if you don''t notice him it means he''s doing his job of feeding in others. Good game
Grant Holt (7.5) - May have got the Man of the Match from the sponsors but apart from his goals there wasn''t too much from the captain. Some good possession play though
Jamie Cureton (6.5) - Looked eager and wanted to get involved. Never really threatened the Wycombe goal though, still start him against Sunderland if he''s not in need of a rest
SUBS
Tom Adeyemi (7.5) - Continued his great start to his Norwich career and perhaps pushed for a start on Monday
Cody McDonald (6.5) - Looked threatening and played intelligently but could have used his pace a little better against a booked centre back and the slow ageing Duberry
Wes Hoolahan (4) - Shocker. Should have ran circles round the tired opponents but looked disinterested and looks like he''s not expecting to be playing in yellow much longer[/quote]

You have got to be having a laugh? ''wasn''t too much from the captain''? Did you watch the game at all? He was superb.

[quote user="NCFC_Shaun"]

[quote user="West Ham Canary"]Alnwick (6) - Didn''t really put a foot wrong, but then wasn''t tested that much and did concede twiceOtsemobor (6) - Never truly looked dangerous, a bit too lightweight. Saying that it was a good guided header that gave us the comfortable thirdSpillane (6.5) - Solid performance from a player who was bound to be a bit nervy in front of the home fans. At fault for the first Wycombe goal thoughAskou (7.5) - Won every ball he went for, and a solid threat at set pieces as shown by his great movement to create the space for his goal, perhaps Gunn''s legacy is AskouDrury (7) - Great link up with Lappin throughout first half and got stuck in when he needed too, his performances are on the up now he''s getting some gamesPaul McVeigh (8) - Always looked a threat and wanted to get into the game. Some fantastic cross field balls to Lappin in particular. We love you Paul McVeigh...Simon Lappin (8.5) - Non-Stop graft from the number 19. Was at the centre of most of Norwich''s moves today. Almost scored a great lob. My Man of the MatchKorey Smith (7.5) - A promising game for the youngster, certainly didn''t look out of place and wasn''t afraid to get stuck inStephen Hughes (7) - By nature he''s a quiet player, and if you don''t notice him it means he''s doing his job of feeding in others. Good gameGrant Holt (7.5) - May have got the Man of the Match from the sponsors but apart from his goals there wasn''t too much from the captain. Some good possession play thoughJamie Cureton (6.5) - Looked eager and wanted to get involved. Never really threatened the Wycombe goal though, still start him against Sunderland if he''s not in need of a restSUBSTom Adeyemi (7.5) - Continued his great start to his Norwich career and perhaps pushed for a start on MondayCody McDonald (6.5) - Looked threatening and played intelligently but could have used his pace a little better against a booked centre back and the slow ageing DuberryWes Hoolahan (4) - Shocker. Should have ran circles round the tired opponents but looked disinterested and looks like he''s not expecting to be playing in yellow much longer[/quote]

You have got to be having a laugh? ''wasn''t too much from the captain''? Did you watch the game at all? He was superb.

[/quote]Holt was everywhere, tireless and very impressive.  And Askou was at fault for the 1st goal, Spillane for the 2nd.

Some very strange ratings by some of you.

Alnwick 6.5

Otsemobor 7

Spillane 7

Askou 7.5

Drury 6.5

Mcveigh 6.5

Lappin 8.5

Hughes 7.5

Smith 8

Holt 8.5

Cureton 7

subs: Adeyemi 7 Mcdonald 7.5 Hoolahan 5.5

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"]

So to summerise, 5-2 was a flattering result? I think the changes Lambert made today were pivotal to this result. Smith in midfield, Docs on the bench. Thats how you win games.

[/quote]agree with all of that !

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Alnwick- 6.5 - did what was required, not to blame for either goal, distribution okay

Otsemobor - 6.5 - big improvement on the Semi of the last few months, time will tell if it''s permanent or not

Askou - 6 - great goal, and not just saying that because I had 7/1 on him to score at any time.  However, badly at fault for their 1st goal.

Spillane - 6 - some good clearances but at fault for their 2nd goal

Drury - 6.5 - decent game, didn''t do much wrong and tidied up nicely

McVeigh - 6.5 - didn''t think he had 90 mins in him and he did fade after 70, but put in dangerous crosses all day long

Hughes - 7 - composed and controlled, the midfielder we''ve been crying out for, good on the ball and busy off the ball

Korey Smith - 6.5 - like a decent Darel Russell, lots of effort and good to see him score

Lappin - 6.5 - lacks pace for a winger but good delivery

Holt - 8 - MOM - a great all round display, holding it up, laying it off, poaching a great first goal and bagging a composed second

SUBS

McDonald - 7 - he and Holt have an understanding which is highly promising - great 5th goal interchange between the two

Adeyemi - 6- struggled to start with but improved as the game wore on

Hoolahan - 4 - frustrating, enigmatic, and probably never here again unless he''s on the away team.

Great to see a well organised, passionate, hard working team in place of the rabble of the last few games.  Well done Paul Lambert.

[/quote]

I think every player should go up by 1.0 at least, although it was only Wycombe, we still had to beat them, and we did this easily so they are slightly harsh imo!

Alnwick 6.5
Otsemobor 6.5

Spillane 7
Askou 7.5
Drury 7
Mcveigh 7
Lappin 8.5
Hughes 7
Smith 8
Holt 8.5
Cureton 6.5

subs: Adeyemi 7 Mcdonald 6.5 Hoolahan 5

Holt was fantastic, and the Adeyemi Smith partnership is one I hope to see for years to come, they are both very exciting prospects. WLY played some class balls and offered alot more on the wing than Whaley.

Hooli is a great player, but Lappin crossing as per usual was superior, playing Lappin also keeps our shape better and helps out the defence. IMO 600K??? is going to be more useful to us than Hoolahan.  Correct me if i''m wrong but Holt was 400k? We can bring in a partner for him of similar quality, for a similar price with the Hoolahan Russell money, along with a new RB. 

Does anyone have any ideas for a hungry, fast, goal scoring striker that would be available for the money from the sale of Hoolahan? Or is that a bit much to ask?

[quote user="Penultimate warlock"]

Does anyone have any ideas for a hungry, fast, goal scoring striker that would be available for the money from the sale of Hoolahan? Or is that a bit much to ask?

[/quote] Simeon Jackson would fit the bill for me.PS. Earnshaw''s not getting much of look in at Nottm Forest these days!

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"]

[/quote]

I can''t see how 5-2 flattered us, Wycombe didn''t even look capable of getting a shot in for the first 40 minutes. They did look a bit more lively for a few minutes after they got it back to 3-2 but once we got the forth it was all over and we probably should have had 7 or 8. I''d say the scoreline flattered them if anything.

Alnwick 6.5 - Not at fault for either goal, defensive errors letting him down. Very vocal, safe pair of hands, did what was asked for him.

Otsemobor 6.5 - Scored with a good header, got forward a fair bit however looked a little shaky when their left winger was running at him.

Spillane 7 - Solid performance, doesn''t look out of his depth at all, seems to work with Askou quite well. Doc finally has someone to compete with for this position

Askou 7 - Would have been higher had he not been tentative resulting in a potential comeback for Wycombe. Great header for his goal though, just great...

Drury 6.5 - Looked solid today, his link up play with Lappin was top class but some his passes were sloppy and concentration levels dipped at times.

McVeigh 7 - Rolling back the years, some lovely neat touches and great link up play with the strikers, looks like he has more to offer

Lappin 8.5 (my MoM) - Lappin came under a lot of stick from fans, but has done himself no harm today. Set Pieces were superb, runs off the shoulder of the full back was causing Wycombe no end of problems, delivery spot on too.

Hughes 7 - Closed down the midfield, did a job similar to Clingan last year. Kept the ball moving and was the catalyst that linked everything together today. Bit of an unsung hero IMO.

Smith 8 - What a talent this boy looks. He may look tiny but he was winning balls in the air and flying in for tackles. Stunning shot for his goal... doesn''t look AT ALL out of his depth. More to come from him no doubt!

Holt 8.5 - 2 good goals, can play with the ball into head, into his body and into feet, both in and out of the box... the striker we have been crying out for for a long time!

Cureton 7 - Not many chances fell for him today but certainly has something to offer in this league under Lambert. Could be a good partner for Holt... I think a lot rests on who gets off the mark first, Curo or Cody!

Subs - Adeyemi 7.5 - great box to box player, really reminds of Damien Francis when he used to be here. Has a lot more to offer I am sure...

McDonald 7 - Had the odd half chance. Their bulky defenders could do nothing but drag him back at times... once he gets a bit more composure could be a great super sub in this league.

Hoolahan 5 - Faffed around on the edge of his own box again, almost cost us a goal, can run past players but sadly had no final product. I honestly don''t think he will be missed...

[quote user="Rustys 1st Touch"][quote user="Penultimate warlock"]

[/quote] Simeon Jackson would fit the bill for me.PS. Earnshaw''s not getting much of look in at Nottm Forest these days![/quote]Simeon Jackson is exactly the kind of guy we need. Good shout.Is Earnie not getting in the Forest team? Well you never know he spoke positively of the club to Owain Tudor Jones

[quote user="Lincs CR"]Alnwick 6.5 - Not at fault for either goal, defensive errors letting him down. Very vocal, safe pair of hands, did what was asked for him. Otsemobor 6.5 - Scored with a good header, got forward a fair bit however looked a little shaky when their left winger was running at him. Spillane 7 - Solid performance, doesn''t look out of his depth at all, seems to work with Askou quite well. Doc finally has someone to compete with for this position Askou 7 - Would have been higher had he not been tentative resulting in a potential comeback for Wycombe. Great header for his goal though, just great... Drury 6.5 - Looked solid today, his link up play with Lappin was top class but some his passes were sloppy and concentration levels dipped at times. McVeigh 7 - Rolling back the years, some lovely neat touches and great link up play with the strikers, looks like he has more to offer Lappin 8.5 (my MoM) - Lappin came under a lot of stick from fans, but has done himself no harm today. Set Pieces were superb, runs off the shoulder of the full back was causing Wycombe no end of problems, delivery spot on too. Hughes 7 - Closed down the midfield, did a job similar to Clingan last year. Kept the ball moving and was the catalyst that linked everything together today. Bit of an unsung hero IMO. Smith 8 - What a talent this boy looks. He may look tiny but he was winning balls in the air and flying in for tackles. Stunning shot for his goal... doesn''t look AT ALL out of his depth. More to come from him no doubt! Holt 8.5 - 2 good goals, can play with the ball into head, into his body and into feet, both in and out of the box... the striker we have been crying out for for a long time! Cureton 7 - Not many chances fell for him today but certainly has something to offer in this league under Lambert. Could be a good partner for Holt... I think a lot rests on who gets off the mark first, Curo or Cody! Subs - Adeyemi 7.5 - great box to box player, really reminds of Damien Francis when he used to be here. Has a lot more to offer I am sure... McDonald 7 - Had the odd half chance. Their bulky defenders could do nothing but drag him back at times... once he gets a bit more composure could be a great super sub in this league. Hoolahan 5 - Faffed around on the edge of his own box again, almost cost us a goal, can run past players but sadly had no final product. I honestly don''t think he will be missed...[/quote]

This one is the closest to the mark for me. Although would give Spillane and Askou 6.5. Think the defence needs some work. Two weak goals today and a little shaky and it was only Wycombe.

Didn''t Lambert try and sign Cureton in the summer too? Doubt he''s in the shop window as some have suggested. I think Lambert rates hum [:O]

[quote user="Mr. Bump"][quote user="Rustys 1st Touch"][quote user="Penultimate warlock"]

[/quote]

Simeon Jackson would fit the bill for me.

PS. Earnshaw''s not getting much of look in at Nottm Forest these days!
[/quote]
Simeon Jackson is exactly the kind of guy we need. Good shout.

Is Earnie not getting in the Forest team? Well you never know he spoke positively of the club to Owain Tudor Jones
[/quote]

Earnie would be a fantastic signing, we all know he has an eye for goal. He is also a real crowd pleaser with his flips and the like. I''m sure he enjoyed his time here and would certainly consider a return, IF we can get the cash.

Just what we needed - 3 points.

But So did Gunn with his first game and never have I seen such a poor proefessional side as Wycombe - they didnt roll over and die - they couldnt even be bother to roll. Truly appalling, no attacking intension and got what they deserved.

My concern was that despite the lack of possession only the 5th goal was from open play, set pieces for the rest. Had we played a better side we would have conceeded more as we were nervous and extremely poor (all bar drury had made an embarrassing but fortunately not costly mistake by 5 mins) at the back - fortunately they were worse. so so very much more for Lambert to do.

Alnwick 6 Did nothing wring andcame for crosses. V quiet day

Ots 5 PArt of a very poor back four, jittery, asleep but did offer going forward. Should not start again.

Berthel Askou 4 3 times he miss judged and unchallenged header and completely missed the ball and 3rd time cost their first goal. Poor positionally but good header for our crucial 4th goal

Spillane 5 Better than BA barrachus next to him, but positionally poor and part of a dozy central defence that conceeded 2 goals against the most impotent strike force we will see this season.

Drury 7 The one defender to play well, got forward defended well and improved as the game went on.

Zipper/WLY 6 So much class, we did not get the ball to him enough but his energy to close down set started the move for our 5th goal, closing down their midfield in the centre circle and winning the ball for adeyemi. SImple touches kept possession and played people in, its called passing and we have a city player who can do it!!!

Smith 6.5 Super strike, worked hard and deserved his goal. Given thepossession we had not convinced he did enough with tyhe ball - but off it v good.

Hughes 6 Prepared to try the pass. but like smith did we hurt them from open play??

Lappin 7 My MOTM. 4 free kicks - 2 goals assists, 2 keeper saves and a good lob tipped over. When not a set piece not as effective but this league seems to revolve around set pieces. Did ok in the middle too.

Cureton 5 Some good touches, but did not look like scoring or creating for anyone else

Holt 7 SHould have had a hat trick, but good opener settled nerves and v cool for 5th

SUbs

Adeyemi 6 Looked solid in the middle

McDonald 7 Not good enough to start, but he is looking like a super sub, pace but also link up play, with a sublime lay off for the 5th goal. Def not good enough to start though.

Hoolahan 5 Needs to watch and learn from McVeigh and Lappin, did not deliver a pass to keep possession and ried to beat too many people.