Sign in to follow this  
Soton Canary

Sunderland Friendship trophy

Unfortunately I''ve never been to a game between us and Sunderland, but have heard much about the ''friendship trophy'' that is played for each season we''re in the same league.I was just wondering if it made much difference to the fans/atmosphere at the game, or if the whole thing is a bit hyped up?  For example, is there a bit more mingling between home and away fans before/after the game?  Generally more of a friendly game type atmosphere?

It was something that followed-on from the so-called "friendly final" (Milk Cup 1985).  I think for a few seasons after that there was some sort of Friendship Trophy that was played for but I haven''t heard anything about it for years.  A bit contrived in my opinion.

This all stems from the Milk Cup final 85.  The atmosphere was unbelievable.  After the game both sets of fans shook hands and swapped hats and scarves.  I still have my Sunderland hat in a drawer. I also remember a load of Sunderland fans turning up in the old barclay a few years later.  I think their match had been postponed ,so a load of them jumped on a train and came to support Norwich.  Brilliant set of fans.  Just hope the modern "chav" type fans are aware of the history between our 2 clubs, and try and maintain it.

The Fa Cup semi against Sunderland at Hillsborough was also very friendly. Both sets of fans mingling in pubs ... bit of friendly banter but no trouble as far as i was aware.

I have been up to Sunderland to watch City a few times and had some great banter with the Sunderland fans before and after the match. I wasn''t there but I have been told about match we played at Everton in the early 90''s where Sunderland had a game called off at Tranmere so a lot of their fans come to Goodison and went in the away end, where there were anti Ipswich chants from the Sunderland fans and anti Newcastle chants from the Norwich fans.In my experience there does seem to be a bond between the fans and I have always had a soft spot for Sunderland.

[quote user="No Quarter"]This all stems from the Milk Cup final 85.  The atmosphere was unbelievable.  After the game both sets of fans shook hands and swapped hats and scarves.  I still have my Sunderland hat in a drawer. I also remember a load of Sunderland fans turning up in the old barclay a few years later.  I think their match had been postponed ,so a load of them jumped on a train and came to support Norwich.  Brilliant set of fans.  Just hope the modern "chav" type fans are aware of the history between our 2 clubs, and try and maintain it.[/quote]The Milk Cup Final was amazing (even if the football- apart from the result- was less so!). It was at the time there had been a lot of football violence and rioting and we were a bit apprehensive about travelling through London on the tubes with the Sunderland supporters. I don''t know why but there was an instant bond with both sets of supporters showing mutual respect and shaking hands, swapping scarves etc. both before and after the game.Typically, the National press hardly reported the game and certainly not the fantastic behaviour of the fans- far more interested in riots and vandalism.

No Quarter

In addition to the Milk Cup final, I remember travelling up to the Stadium of Light with a group of Sunderland fans on a specially arranged coach (it was NCISA I think, but it was a while ago!). We picked a lot of Sunderland fans up in Peterborough and all went to the game together and travelled back together, most of us in colours. It''s part of the wonderful world of meeting fans from other clubs. Most supporters from all clubs can exist together and enjoy a game together without resorting to anything approaching trouble.

As you say, brilliant fans. I have also been to Sunderland many times as a neutral (though my mum''s family came from their, I do have a soft spot for them). Can''t rate them highly enough. Always enjoy going to that part of the country.

[quote user="Yelverton Yella"][quote user="No Quarter"]This all stems from the Milk Cup final 85.  The atmosphere was unbelievable.  After the game both sets of fans shook hands and swapped hats and scarves.  I still have my Sunderland hat in a drawer. I also remember a load of Sunderland fans turning up in the old barclay a few years later.  I think their match had been postponed ,so a load of them jumped on a train and came to support Norwich.  Brilliant set of fans.  Just hope the modern "chav" type fans are aware of the history between our 2 clubs, and try and maintain it.[/quote]

The Milk Cup Final was amazing (even if the football- apart from the result- was less so!). It was at the time there had been a lot of football violence and rioting and we were a bit apprehensive about travelling through London on the tubes with the Sunderland supporters. I don''t know why but there was an instant bond with both sets of supporters showing mutual respect and shaking hands, swapping scarves etc. both before and after the game.

Typically, the National press hardly reported the game and certainly not the fantastic behaviour of the fans- far more interested in riots and vandalism.
[/quote]

The match between the fans on the carpark was much better quality!!

Our tickets were for one of the sunderland pens ...they gave us a leg up into the city one above.

Brilliant day out.

I was living in the north east in ''the 70''s and 80''s; regularly went to games at Roker Park, and considered Sunderland as my second team. Will always have a soft spot for them, (and of course dislike Toon intensely). Hope we give them a good game tomorrow, and look forward to some banter with their fans.

Remember winning the championship at Stadium of light in a rearranged away game a few years ago. Was great we went into the nearest pub to the ground, both sets of supporters were in there. You could tell there was a lot of respect between both sets of fans.

During game when Stoke were beating West Brom easily we knew we''d won championship and sunderlands supporters were clapping us for winning the league.

I was in the Barclay when Darren Eadie lobbed the Sunderland keeper from what, at the time, seemed like close to the half way line. Must have been around 97/98? Great goal.