Sign in to follow this  
Freeza

Cureton to start tomorrow?

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

[quote user="Soldier on"]Cam what did wes say following gunns departure players haven''t mentioned it openly at all from what I can gather[/quote]

I can''t say because it is part of an ongoing project this end but on the day he was upset, angry, as were a number of players.  Hardly surprising as most of them were shocked by it.  The anger was probably over the rather brutal way it was done with Gunn being ordered to leave the training ground. 

[/quote]

Err? wasn''t Gunn down at Exeter at the time?..And if the players don''t like it let them find a new club!

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

[quote user="Soldier on"]Cam what did wes say following gunns departure players haven''t mentioned it openly at all from what I can gather[/quote]

I can''t say because it is part of an ongoing project this end but on the day he was upset, angry, as were a number of players.  Hardly surprising as most of them were shocked by it.  The anger was probably over the rather brutal way it was done with Gunn being ordered to leave the training ground. 

[/quote]

Err? wasn''t Gunn down at Exeter at the time?..And if the players don''t like it let them find a new club!

[/quote]Blimey that''s full on! I think it''s good to hear that the players had respect and loyalty to their helmsman. Not something we hear much of lately.

[quote user="Romantic"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Blimey that''s full on! I think it''s good to hear that the players had respect and loyalty to their helmsman. Not something we hear much of lately.
[/quote]

Maybe Romantic, but we''re not a kindergarden and they''re supposed to be proffessionals.

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Romantic"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

[/quote]

[/quote]Blimey that''s full on! I think it''s good to hear that the players had respect and loyalty to their helmsman. Not something we hear much of lately. [/quote]

Maybe Romantic, but we''re not a kindergarden and they''re supposed to be proffessionals.

[/quote]I know that but I don''t think there''s anything wrong with being affected by that type of shke up. I''d actually be more worried if they were automotons who couldn''t care less where they are wnd who they''re working with. That would signify the type of journeyman mentality I associate with poor footy (yes I know we suck at the moment). If they are bonded and settled (or settleable at least) then perhaps with some direction we could actually see a ''team'' - in every sense of the word - developing at Carrow Road.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="bringbackchippy"]Great move if he plays. Jamie is our only proven natural goalscorer, get him back in asap, fans have got to encourage him not slag him off if he makes a mistake. Stick with him l say![/quote]

I keep saying this BBC, but some, nay most, on here don''t want to listen................I hope Jamie starts.[Y]

[/quote]Does he deserve a the chance, a massive ''NO''. You haven''t proven him to be, or Cureton hasn''t proven himself to be anything other than an utter failiure in the system. What Cureton did in the past was utterly shameful, considering we were actually paying him for vastly contributing to our plight. He was shambolic, and more often than not almost obliged to hang his head in shame with his performances.However if we''re going to look to the future, the slate needs to be wiped clean, and theres no exclusion on this for Jamie.

I have no qualms with him starting, but Neil Adam''s pronouncing his name as ''Curtain'' is going to do my head in a tad.

[quote user="Man-E-Faces"]I think Cureton should be given a run in the team. He is proven at this level and think fans should stay off his back.[/quote]

He''s proven that he''s not good enough to hit the target from 6 yards on numerous occasions, I find it hard to believe that anyone who has seen him play in recent times can think he''s any good. He''s 34 now and is finished, the sooner he is shipped out to Kings Lynn the better.

Jamie''s had his day and I can''t see any real evidence from last year that he has maintained the "natural goalscorer" label.  Maybe a couple of years back but now....nah!  I spoke to some Barnsley fans who said that he looked "past his sell-by date" when they had him on loan.  Surely it''s time to move on and give the newer and especially younger players a chance! 

I have always been a fan of Cureton one of the greatest goal poachers at all grades the club has ever had. His strength was in his speed and sharpness. The will may still be there but are the feet still able to deliver the goods. I very much doubt it but will be happy to be proved wrong.

Neil Adams also said that he thinks that Jamie will play some part in the game tomorrow and confirmed that Lambert did in fact try and get Jamie back at Colchester last season

[quote user="cityangel"]Neil Adams also said that he thinks that Jamie will play some part in the game tomorrow and confirmed that Lambert did in fact try and get Jamie back at Colchester last season[/quote]

What Neil Adams said is completely at odds with the facts this end.  In November 2008 Jamie''s agent organised him a tour of BBC Essex, Dream FM etc etc in what is now known this end as the Jamie Cureton Memorial Lecture Circuit.  In all these appearances - and in print interviews with the Evening Gazette and the East Anglian - the line was always the same: that he was hoping that Colchester would be interested in taking him on loan from Norwich, how he had always loved his time at the club (that got the message boards going) et al.

It was such a piece of overt propositioning that it was directly raised with PL at a U''s press conference on November 20 2008 and he clearly stated he was not interested in signing Jamie Cureton.  When pressed he got irritated (as you will find out he can do) and said: "Jamie is not a player on my radar."

BBC Essex reported that on their sports programme live but only did a short print piece for their web site which reads:

U''s rule out return for Cureton

20 Nov 08 16:15

Colchester United manager Paul Lambert has said he will not be signing Jamie Cureton on loan.

The Norwich striker, 33, has had two previous spells with the club having firstly joined from Swindon on loan in October 2005.

Cureton also played for the U''s in the Championship in the 2006/7 season, when he ended up as the league''s top scorer.

Lambert told BBC Essex: "I know all about Jamie being here but he''s not someone we''re looking at."

Cureton joined Norwich from Colchester for £800,000 but has struggled to gain first-team action this season.

So all a bit of a mystery then........................

[quote user="hardley"]I have always been a fan of Cureton one of the greatest goal poachers at all grades the club has ever had. [/quote]I''m sorry?Here''s a test for you:Iwan RobertsChris SuttonRobert FleckJoe RoyleTed McDougallMark RobinsJamie Cureton

Spot the odd one out... oh, it''s Cureton because he''s not one of the greatest goal poachers ever for our club, and is in fact crap.But then you come from Australia, so you probably think Theo''s one of the greatest keepers the world''s ever seen.

Let''s be honest, you know how desperate we are when people are now willing for Cureton to start for us, when at the end of last season he was ''past it'', ''with no pace'' and ''missed lots of very, very easy chances'' [:|]

1 point from 9 and a 7-1 spanking in our only home game this season.

Can anybody really complain with any changes made to the line-up by the new manager today?

Now I know a lot of you will laugh at this, but not only does Cureton deserve a chance upfront, but I would say that I can''t see Paul McVeigh doing much worse down the left hand side than the over-rated Wes Hoolihan has done (producing very little) for the last year or so.  I am pretty confident that just seeing McVeigh off the bench for 45 mins each game we would see him contribute more assists and goals than Wes Hoolihan does in 90 mins week in week out (and that is what people should start rating the overated Hoolihan on).

[quote user="Smudger"]

Can anybody really complain with any changes made to the line-up by the new manager today?

Now I know a lot of you will laugh at this, but not only does Cureton deserve a chance upfront, but I would say that I can''t see Paul McVeigh doing much worse down the left hand side than the over-rated Wes Hoolihan has done (producing very little) for the last year or so.  I am pretty confident that just seeing McVeigh off the bench for 45 mins each game we would see him contribute more assists and goals than Wes Hoolihan does in 90 mins week in week out (and that is what people should start rating the overated Hoolihan on).

[/quote]You need to start going to games, son.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Ted Macdougall from what I''ve been told was immense.

Were Iwan/Sutton poachers chopsy?![/quote]They poached their fair share, in addition to holding the ball up, flicking it on, linking midfield and attack - three more things Cureton can''t do.I''d rather see Maric, then McDonald, before I see Cureton in a City shirt again, he''s lost what little talent he had.

Smudger for once i agree with you. Would love to see both jamie and mcveigh start today. There has to be changes today and these are two of them tho perhaps mcveigh for whaley rather than hools although i do agree that most people here for some reason rate hools highly but im yet to be convinved. Wouls also like to see hughes in for Gill

[quote user="canarytom"]Proven that he cant hit a barn door[/quote]

As always you are correct, he can''t hit a barn door! 184 goals in 393 starts.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=1843

Cam very interesting post re hoolahans reaction - when will this scoop see the light of day or does it remain a work in progress? Any interesting findings at boardroom level other than it wasn''t a stowmarket 2 decision?

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

You need to start going to games, son.
[/quote]

haha I am going today.

What do I need to go for CHOPS?

To tell me that Hoolihan is still over-rated, still doesn''t score goals and still doesn''t get anywhere near enough assists for a player who receives such a glowing report from 80% or so of our supporters?

To tell me that Chris Martin has not scored for us or at a level above Div 2 in how many years???

To tell me that Holt and Maric upfront together would be unlikely to work?

Cody with Holt maybe will work, but as many have stated already, maybe Cody is better being used with the pace that he has when defenders are tired from the bench?

I think that Cureton & Co would have to be going some to prove any worse than our squad "which looked good enough for promotion" to many but so far has 1 point from 9 (plus the worst defeat in history at Carrow Road), don''t you???

[quote user="matt crowhurst"]Smudger for once i agree with you. Would love to see both jamie and mcveigh start today. There has to be changes today and these are two of them tho perhaps mcveigh for whaley rather than hools although i do agree that most people here for some reason rate hools highly but im yet to be convinved. Wouls also like to see hughes in for Gill
[/quote]

I also agree with you about Hughes.  I would have both Hughes and Adeyemi in the centre everytime if fit Matt... [;)]

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Cureton IS starting.

Looks like I''ll be betting on him today![/quote]Please CUSDP, tell me this is one time you will be wrong?!

[quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="can u sit down please"]Cureton IS starting. Looks like I''ll be betting on him today![/quote]

Please CUSDP, tell me this is one time you will be wrong?!
[/quote]

CUSDP or to be more precise, his contact at the club is never wrong.  When will some of you people learn???