Sign in to follow this  
Beauseant

Some thoughts

Only just back from the game as we stayed over, so I''m probably duplicating stuff that was posted yesterday, but I just wanted to say how different we looked, not just in terms of personnel, but also tactically. We were clearly pressing much higher up the pitch and put pressure on their midfielders as soon as they got the ball, and as a result the service to their front men was disrupted badly, which was a good move as they were both very physical and proved a handful to Askou and Spillane, who, in general dealt with them well. Unfortunately we committed the cardinal error of letting a ball bounce in our box twice and paid the penalty both times. Having said that we looked SO much better without Doc in there. In fact, I can''t recall one situation where we were caught square. These two will make mistakes, but I think we have the makings of a good and highly mobile pairing, and Askou''s goalscoring is a huge bonus.Semmy still worries me but I thought Drury was excellent yesterday.

However, it was midfield where we won the game. Hughes is a class act, always available to link play and very unfussy. Crucially he can switch play in either direction as he actually has two decent feet, and what can I say about Korey, who was immense. The energy level was so much higher than in previous games and we actually had midfielders who were protecting the back four AND linking with the forwards! Lappin was also a revelation and WLY showed much more application than Whaley has so far. Up front Holt had a super game, but although Curo worked hard his legs have gone, I''m afraid. The subs all made an impact, although In Hoolahan''s case it was to do an impersonation of a small child whose favourite toy has been taken away.

A great start for Lambert, and a brave selection bore fruit, but there''s still much work to be done.

Absolutely bang on Beau.

It''s all about opinions of course but there are a surprising number of posters still defending Doc. There main claim is the statistics of wins etc when he has been playing.

I have watched him home and away for all his NCFC career. I agree he has played the odd game well but in the main he creates panic amongst his team mates and I would hate to keep goal behind him. I hate watching him as he puts me on edge every time the opposition attack him.

I wanted to give Gunn the benefit of the doubt but when he made him captain that finished it for me.

Lambert''s team selection was inspired but he has already said we are a country mile away from the team he wants.

Happy days ahead I hope.

[quote user="refjezhitchin"]

I think its a confidence thing with Cureton I really do.

He needs a goal desperately

[/quote]No it''s not. It''s a "too old and past it" thing.  Gunn brought him back, he got a goal against Barnsley and then did nothing but continue to miss  sitters until Gunn dropped him again.  His time at this club should be over barring the odd 10-20 minute substitute appearance.

Absolutely bang on that we won it in midfield. We were tight and never gave the Wycombe players any time on the ball. I also agree about Askou & Spillane - the Wycombe goals did come from mistakes, but generally they looked good. It does mean that we have to rely on Otsemobor (who had a decent game to be fair), but I suspect we''ll see another right back brought in.

Another major plus was how much better balanced we looked with Lappin instead of Hoolahan. I''m a big fan of Wes, but when he plays we are too reliant on him and he doesn''t always produce the goods. Lappin hasn''t got the trickery, but he''s solid and has that fantastic delivery that yielded 2 goals.

The last point I''d make is about Adeyemi. He does look like the real deal - powerful and skilful with it. Have we finally found our new Damien Francis? What makes it for me is that he always seems to have time on the ball - this to me is the mark of a true quality player. There''s a lot to come from Tom and I''d like to see him start a game with Hughes, who looked in a different league to Gill and Tudur Jones.

I was very surprised that Lambert picked Korey over Adeyemi. Oh how the plan worked though. Korey was immense and you wouldn''t have believed it was his full professional debut. Things are certainly looking very rosey in the midfield department for years to come. Hughes was absolute quality as well. I was at Brentford on Tuesday and had to witness one of the poorest midfield displays I''ve seen in a long time. What a difference Saturday was.

I was so impressed with Spillane it''s unbelievable. He really looked the part. I know unfortunately the two times the ball bounced we paid the price but Spillane and Askou were overall superb.

With regards to Hoolahan, I still hope he stays. Who wouldn''t? he''s our best player. A little disappointed that having come on, and seen how good the team had played for the 70 minutes before he came on, he decided to try and do it all himself. Granted, when things aren''t going well, Hoolahan is the kind of player you want to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and try to weave some magic. However, when a quality display from the team based on everyone working together, that''s not what we needed.

If he does decide to go, get Shackell back with the money. Shackell, Askou, and Spillane battling for the two centre back spots would make me happy as Larry.

Doherty... he''s been here for nearly six years, 170 odd appearances and has failed to forge a proper partnership with anyone in defence. What''s that? About 15 different partners. Surely not all of those players were the problem? No I haven''t forgotten how good he was for us in the 05/06 season but when league 1 players can continue to make you look as inept as championship players did, there''s definitely a problem there.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="refjezhitchin"]

[/quote]

No it''s not. It''s a "too old and past it" thing.  Gunn brought him back, he got a goal against Barnsley and then did nothing but continue to miss  sitters until Gunn dropped him again.  His time at this club should be over barring the odd 10-20 minute substitute appearance.

[/quote]

I am totally on your side on that one, remember when Cureton manage to get that hat trick against Colchester. Roeder said don''t get carried away and he was right Cureton didn''t score again for the rest of the season.

For me he''s past it.

[quote user="Tookie140"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="refjezhitchin"]

[/quote]

No it''s not. It''s a "too old and past it" thing.  Gunn brought him back, he got a goal against Barnsley and then did nothing but continue to miss  sitters until Gunn dropped him again.  His time at this club should be over barring the odd 10-20 minute substitute appearance.

[/quote]

I am totally on your side on that one, remember when Cureton manage to get that hat trick against Colchester. Roeder said don''t get carried away and he was right Cureton didn''t score again for the rest of the season.

For me he''s past it.

[/quote]

Can''t believe Roeder got something right [:P]

A great suggestion re Shackell Callsign. That would give the defence a more stable look about it particularly once Semi''s position is doubled up.

As we all know, get a defence sorted and build from there.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="refjezhitchin"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Lambo in todays EDP thought Jamie had a fantastic game, hmm? who shall I believe?..............thats a difficult one![:S]

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="refjezhitchin"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Lambo in todays EDP thought Jamie had a fantastic game, hmm? who shall I believe?..............thats a difficult one![:S]

[/quote]

Not really difficult, Jamie is and always will be one of my fave NC players, which goes back to his first stint at CR all those years back.

However, having watched him on Saturday it''s sad to see that he doesn''t offer as much these days as he did years ago.

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="refjezhitchin"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Not really difficult, Jamie is and always will be one of my fave NC players, which goes back to his first stint at CR all those years back.

However, having watched him on Saturday it''s sad to see that he doesn''t offer as much these days as he did years ago.

[/quote]

I know the ruddy feeling mate! [img]http://carrowroad.net/carrow1/Smileys/new/rofl.gif[/img]

Jamie was disappointing,  and I did not see a fantastic performance from him - but the club got the win we all needed and it allowed Cody to appear as a sub which how to get the best out of him - so is that what we should accept?  He is a teaser, exhausting their defence for the stallion coming on later? 

Interesting that football is a results business,  yet people still dont want the player in their side who ensures we win 10% more games when he plays than not, ensure we lose fewer games when he plays than when he does not, where we  pics up more points per game than when he plays than not and conceeds fewer goals too, and simply because he does not make them feel good?   And then have the cheek to suggest lame excuses for the soft goals conceeded on Sat.

Hopefully Lambert can and will buy and play better and we, definitely including me ,  will all be happy - but when we dont currently have anyone better why throw the baby out with the bath water?

"Korey was immense and you wouldn''t have believed it was his full professional debut"

He started at Charlton... but I guess that doesn''t count as a "game of football" ;)

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="refjezhitchin"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Oh come on Wiz!  Even you''re not dumb enough to believe Lamberts going to say anything else.  He''s hardly going to slag of a player after his first game in charge.  As usual you probably weren''t there so you wouldn''t have seen quite how inept your Jamie was again.  He had the usual amount of chances and, as you have probably read the match reports you will know, didn''t score!  He was woefully short of pace and the only player not to show full commitment in the chase and the tackle.

[quote user="CallsignViper"]

I was so impressed with Spillane it''s unbelievable. He really looked the part.

[/quote]

Especially if you ignore things like when he made a hash out of shepherding the ball out early on, or when he got caught under the ball on the half hour mark or when he let his man turn him too easy for their 2nd goal.

If you ignore all the things like that then to be honest...he''s the next John Terry.

Well I thought he had a good game. I would say he did more good things than bad but alas it would appear my memory is not as good as yours. I blame the beer personally.

[quote user="CallsignViper"]Well I thought he had a good game. I would say he did more good things than bad but alas it would appear my memory is not as good as yours. I blame the beer personally.[/quote]

He did ok but Wycombe didn''t have much upfront and there were a few times then their lad (Harrold, I think) had too much strength for him.

Personally, I think people are getting a bit carried away with him.

My gut feeling is that we''ll need someone better (and will have someone better) in there this season if we''re going to compete, especially against the better sides.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="CallsignViper"]

[/quote]

Especially if you ignore things like when he made a hash out of shepherding the ball out early on, or when he got caught under the ball on the half hour mark or when he let his man turn him too easy for their 2nd goal.

If you ignore all the things like that then to be honest...he''s the next John Terry.

[/quote]Yeah, I love the players who''s mistakes I ignore. They''re all brilliant.The players I really dislike are the ones who''s mistakes I watch out for, focus on, highlight to everyone else, then make a point of remembering.

[quote user="Mook"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="CallsignViper"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah, I love the players who''s mistakes I ignore. They''re all brilliant.

The players I really dislike are the ones who''s mistakes I watch out for, focus on, highlight to everyone else, then make a point of remembering.
[/quote]

Meh.... it was pretty obvious stuff, I thought.

I just think it''s important to take the perfomance with a pinch of salt because Wycombe weren''t a great side and we still conceded soft goals.

Had certain other defenders made the same mistakes then they would have been heavily criticised for it so I think it''s only fair to point out the same for other players.

Just a bit of balance, that''s all.

[quote user="Scooby"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="refjezhitchin"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Oh come on Wiz!  Even you''re not dumb enough to believe Lamberts going to say anything else.  He''s hardly going to slag of a player after his first game in charge.  As usual you probably weren''t there so you wouldn''t have seen quite how inept your Jamie was again.  He had the usual amount of chances and, as you have probably read the match reports you will know, didn''t score!  He was woefully short of pace and the only player not to show full commitment in the chase and the tackle.

[/quote]

I was close enough to smell the burning rubber when he hit the brakes to avoid the 50/50 with their keeper in the first half. Cody would have beaten the keeper to the ball by about two yards but Curo appeared to be running through quicksand!

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Mook"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="CallsignViper"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah, I love the players who''s mistakes I ignore. They''re all brilliant.

The players I really dislike are the ones who''s mistakes I watch out for, focus on, highlight to everyone else, then make a point of remembering.
[/quote]

Meh.... it was pretty obvious stuff, I thought.

I just think it''s important to take the perfomance with a pinch of salt because Wycombe weren''t a great side and we still conceded soft goals.

Had certain other defenders made the same mistakes then they would have been heavily criticised for it so I think it''s only fair to point out the same for other players.

Just a bit of balance, that''s all.

[/quote]

They''re all fair points. As I said in my original post, Spillane and Askou aren''t the finished product by any means, but we looked so much more compact at the back without Doc lumbering about, and they will get better. However, I agree that Lambert will probably make a priority of an experienced CB to do the job that Nelson was obviously signed to do.

[quote user="Scooby"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="refjezhitchin"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sorry where did you read that he did not show the same commitment as everybody else? He was unlucky a couple of times ....and put the work in......I agree that he is not as quick as some ....but many a striker goes on for many yeras slower than before , but still able to make a valuable contributionto the team, I for one believe Jamie is one of these , Give him  a chance , he will score us some vital goals this year

As far as Curo is concerned, there is doubting his commitment, but he is more than 10 years older than Cody, and was probably never as fast as Cody is now. If Cody is to be a supersub, to come on when defenders are tiring and run them ragged, I think that I would prefer Martin to start with Holt. Martin, if his mind is finally right, is much more versatile and effective than Curo.I have not seen Maric, but from reports he seems a very efficient finisher. Does he not come into the reckoning?

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I know for a fact Scooby the ''usual chances'' things you talk about fly directly in the face of everyone elses reviews on Curo, sorry, I don''t buy that at all!