Sign in to follow this  
Theologistic

The New Era - Two Fold

A warm evening to those over the city of Yellow & Green,I shall not begin the post with countless references to my Norwich City attendance, support or replica shirt history. I will, however, describe the waves of relief as today I watched a Norwich City side ripe with hunger and determination. It was entertaining to hear the quizical annunciation delivered with each word of various City pubgoers surrounding Paul Lambert''s first starting eleven since his appointment. After thirty minutes of todays game, people all around Carrow Road could see why.Six changes, six new appetites. Micky Spillane, Korey Smith, Stephen Hughes, Paul Mcveigh, Simon Lappin and even Jamie Cureton all hungry to make every challenge, secure every pass, maximise each opportunity. It was hard to seperate McVeigh, Smith and Lappin for top performer out of these six. Personally, I have to give huge amounts of credit to Lappin. How many weeks / months / managers / opportunities have passed this guy by? I''m pleased our new manager realises you don''t need a team of 6ft plus giants to compete in this league (just one and call him Grant!) Quality won today. Speaking of quality and Lappin, I can''t remember a time when we looked more dangerous from set pieces. It enabled me to call 3 goals today like some sort of Derek Acorah (and I can''t stand the Scousal phoney). What an appetite Simon Lappin must have. It was great to see him deliver (pun fully intended). Even Cureton had an extra spring in his step. Unfortunately for Jamie it is a shame that he forgot to bring his shooting boots and first touch, however he never stopped running. I wonder if he has considered a switch of sports...to long distance track running?I feel it necessary to apologise for singling out Mr Cureton. It''s simply not his fault. He belongs to another era, another timezone in Canary history. I hope that (and think that) Paul Lambert does recognise that you don''t just have to sign quality players, you don''t just have to build a team but you have to create yourself an era. Mike Walker had it (unfortunately only once, not twice) and Nigel Worthington had it (for two of his five years). As with everything in life, whether it be car, job, routine, music, an era has a best before end date. Poor old Bryan Gunn expired in May 2009, unfortunately the board in control of our football club did not realise this. I wish him well, some of his signings will go on to prove his nouse for scouting a player fully justified (I think Grant Holt may have already achieved this?) The point I make is that there were several noticeable absences today...Russell, Doherty, Whaley, Tudor-Jones, Gill and Hoolahan to an extent. The first two again belong to a different Norwich City era, thanks guys, we''ve tolerated for a long while...this should be the time to depart. The next three will be faced with the chance to prove themselves in the new era and the little Irish playmaker needs to realise that there has been no era at the club for him to fit in to. Our fortunes changed when Mr Roeder refused to build a team around Darren Huckerby and sent him packing without a goodbye. Like a knock-on effect, the team has never gelled when trying to fit it around Wes Hoolahan. The best thing about today was a good old fashioned 4-4-2 with closing down all over the park, pressure, determination, positioning and leadership.I''m not saying that the eleven that started today are going to be the full answer, but they are certainly a strong starting point. I think it time that Jamie Cureton moves on and one more smart piece of business in the transfer window be a striker. Yes, I know we can''t just go out and buy a 20 goal a season striker but my concerns grow over the cover for Grant Holt. Cody McDonald again looks like a firecracker, capable of tormenting defenses but from the bench he is most dangerous. He is still very green in my humble opinion (no pun intended).Speaking of the bench (and with the hindsight that we were 4-2 up at this point) it is refreshing to have a manager who will make all three substitutions whilst there is time left in a game to make a difference. Tom Adeyemi looked ever so competent in the middle of the park, getting out of trouble the way you might se a 20 year pro or your ''bit handy'' veteran invaraibly called ''Keith'' you play 7-aside with each week do. All three subs had chances to score (two were clear cut) and strangely enough, at 3-2 up with a full half to play, I almost instinctively knew that we''d be fine.A moderate assessment of relevance at best but nice to be able to express these views. Two crucial elements for me: 1) Please Paul Lambert think wisely about who to cut away from the squad whilst the window remains open. 2) Delia & Michael: Please be aware and become accustomed to a new era that has been spurred on by the McNally appointment, the Gunn departure and the Lambert appointment. It''s only League 1, but it''s still Norwich City Football Club and as I looked over towards the Cathedral tonight, it seems the wheels have again aligned. Come On You Yellows!

Well said indeed. Green shoots of recovery starting to show through. Yes it is only one match but it''s pleasing to see that Lambo isn''t afraid to make controversial decisions and seemingly knows the type of physical team required to compete in L1. Keep it up!

[quote user="Theologistic"]A warm evening to those over the city of Yellow & Green,

I shall not begin the post with countless references to my Norwich City attendance, support or replica shirt history. I will, however, describe the waves of relief as today I watched a Norwich City side ripe with hunger and determination. It was entertaining to hear the quizical annunciation delivered with each word of various City pubgoers surrounding Paul Lambert''s first starting eleven since his appointment. After thirty minutes of todays game, people all around Carrow Road could see why.

Six changes, six new appetites. Micky Spillane, Korey Smith, Stephen Hughes, Paul Mcveigh, Simon Lappin and even Jamie Cureton all hungry to make every challenge, secure every pass, maximise each opportunity. It was hard to seperate McVeigh, Smith and Lappin for top performer out of these six. Personally, I have to give huge amounts of credit to Lappin. How many weeks / months / managers / opportunities have passed this guy by? I''m pleased our new manager realises you don''t need a team of 6ft plus giants to compete in this league (just one and call him Grant!) Quality won today. Speaking of quality and Lappin, I can''t remember a time when we looked more dangerous from set pieces. It enabled me to call 3 goals today like some sort of Derek Acorah (and I can''t stand the Scousal phoney). What an appetite Simon Lappin must have. It was great to see him deliver (pun fully intended). Even Cureton had an extra spring in his step. Unfortunately for Jamie it is a shame that he forgot to bring his shooting boots and first touch, however he never stopped running. I wonder if he has considered a switch of sports...to long distance track running?

I feel it necessary to apologise for singling out Mr Cureton. It''s simply not his fault. He belongs to another era, another timezone in Canary history. I hope that (and think that) Paul Lambert does recognise that you don''t just have to sign quality players, you don''t just have to build a team but you have to create yourself an era. Mike Walker had it (unfortunately only once, not twice) and Nigel Worthington had it (for two of his five years). As with everything in life, whether it be car, job, routine, music, an era has a best before end date. Poor old Bryan Gunn expired in May 2009, unfortunately the board in control of our football club did not realise this. I wish him well, some of his signings will go on to prove his nouse for scouting a player fully justified (I think Grant Holt may have already achieved this?) The point I make is that there were several noticeable absences today...Russell, Doherty, Whaley, Tudor-Jones, Gill and Hoolahan to an extent. The first two again belong to a different Norwich City era, thanks guys, we''ve tolerated for a long while...this should be the time to depart. The next three will be faced with the chance to prove themselves in the new era and the little Irish playmaker needs to realise that there has been no era at the club for him to fit in to. Our fortunes changed when Mr Roeder refused to build a team around Darren Huckerby and sent him packing without a goodbye. Like a knock-on effect, the team has never gelled when trying to fit it around Wes Hoolahan. The best thing about today was a good old fashioned 4-4-2 with closing down all over the park, pressure, determination, positioning and leadership.

I''m not saying that the eleven that started today are going to be the full answer, but they are certainly a strong starting point. I think it time that Jamie Cureton moves on and one more smart piece of business in the transfer window be a striker. Yes, I know we can''t just go out and buy a 20 goal a season striker but my concerns grow over the cover for Grant Holt. Cody McDonald again looks like a firecracker, capable of tormenting defenses but from the bench he is most dangerous. He is still very green in my humble opinion (no pun intended).

Speaking of the bench (and with the hindsight that we were 4-2 up at this point) it is refreshing to have a manager who will make all three substitutions whilst there is time left in a game to make a difference. Tom Adeyemi looked ever so competent in the middle of the park, getting out of trouble the way you might se a 20 year pro or your ''bit handy'' veteran invaraibly called ''Keith'' you play 7-aside with each week do. All three subs had chances to score (two were clear cut) and strangely enough, at 3-2 up with a full half to play, I almost instinctively knew that we''d be fine.

A moderate assessment of relevance at best but nice to be able to express these views. Two crucial elements for me: 1) Please Paul Lambert think wisely about who to cut away from the squad whilst the window remains open. 2) Delia & Michael: Please be aware and become accustomed to a new era that has been spurred on by the McNally appointment, the Gunn departure and the Lambert appointment. It''s only League 1, but it''s still Norwich City Football Club and as I looked over towards the Cathedral tonight, it seems the wheels have again aligned. Come On You Yellows!

[/quote]

The first post is always the best. Keep it up.

Well what a pleasant surprise. After hearing todays team news for Hartlepool, it seems as if Paul Lambert is a persistent reader of the Pink'' Un Message Board thread. He has listened to my era cries of Doherty and Hoolahan. Both not in the squad today. Well done Mr Lambert.Looks like a chance for Curo. I fancy him to have packed his shooting boots today. I shall put at least £1.28 on him to do a goal today.Come On You Yellows. Huzzah.