Sign in to follow this  
nolegs

Liverpool beamback-legal position on drinking?

At the Watford beamback Iwas told I still couldn''t take a beer onto the terraces I pointed out that as there was not a football match actually being played,and that I was actually only watching tv I thought I  could .Does anyone know the actual legal position on this?

I''ve no idea, "242''s finest", it might be worth another try though!  However I reckon even if it is legal, they would be entitled to enforce their house rules, it being a private venue.

Not sure of the exact position, but there is a notice at the entrance to the seats saying something like "no alcohol past this point while football is being played". We weren''t allowed to take beer out, while the reunion game was being played either. I think it''s up to the club whether they want you to drink and watch the screen and they will enforce the rules as they see fit. Having said that, you can sit and watch the game during a normal match in any of the lounges on the tv while having a beer, as long as you can''t see the pitch.

why not just show it in the lounges? I would love to see this game but the £10 price is not justified to sit still, no beer, no smoking = no fun.  Come on there will be people asking you not to sing as well (it is the south stand)

I''m off to find a pub showing it...............

The Sporting Events (Control of Alcohol etc) Act 1985 –
 Prohibits the possession of alcohol on the way to matches on football special coaches and trains and makes it an offence to be drunk on them.
 Makes an offence of trying to enter a ground when drunk or in possession of alcohol; of possessing or consuming alcohol within view of the pitch during the period of the match; or being drunk during the period of the match.
 Provides the police the power to search someone reasonably suspected of committing an offence under the Act, and to arrest such a person: this may include searching coaches or trains carrying passengers to or from matches or on arrival as well as searching fans waiting to enter a ground or inside a ground.

So basically even though the beam back is shown on a screen, the spectators are in view of the pitch and cannot consume alcohol. Doubt you’ll find the match on in a pub Gazza as The Club are having this beamed back to Carrow Road – not to all the pubs in the area! As for the £10 charge – consider the cost of travelling to Liverpool and buying a ticket etc. – would cost a bit more than a tenner.

[quote]The Sporting Events (Control of Alcohol etc) Act 1985 – ? Prohibits the possession of alcohol on the way to matches on football special coaches and trains and makes it an offence to be drunk on them....[/quote]

That''s very true about the cost of a ticket if you could have got one of course. I think that Gazza was referring to the odd one or two pubs who show the games through a different satellite system, if you know what I mean?

Well I for one will be in attendance at Carrow Rd for the beamback, as I prefer to contribute my hard earned cash to the clubs coffers (rather than some  boozer that will be chocker and I will usually end up stinking of ciggie smoke). Don''t get me wrong, it''s the individuals preference where they choose to watch the Liverpool clash, and usually, I normally go to a boozer to watch games, (internationals included) but the Jarrold Stand with Canary folk of all ages, male & female, is the place to be if you can''t make Anfield  Surely, 45 minutes without a fag or a pint ain''t too difficult is it? C''MON! Get yourselves down to the ground! OTBC

mello yello

whilst i applaud your reasons to go to the beamback, i don''t wish to pay £10 (or if you want to split hairs £9) not to be able to have a drink (as in the barclay bar) smoke (though i don''t i cannot see why ohters cannot), or stand up and sing (as i do in the barclay or in a pub)  - i and i expect many others want to let our hair down a bit at football matches - i just cannot get into it sitting still as if i was in a cinema, it is just me i know, but £10 is way too much - the club gets enough of my money as it is - i don''t see why i cannot support one of my local pubs as well as my football team