Sign in to follow this  
William Darby

Why do stupid sods do this?

David Bentley charged with drink driving

Last updated: 13/08/2009 15:30:00

Former Norwich City loanee David Bentley has been charged with drink driving.Bentley,

who has been out of favour at Tottenham, was involved in a collision

with a lamp-post in the early hours of this morning, Hertfordshire

police have confirmed.A police spokeswoman said: "He has been

charged with a drink driving offence and has been released on bail to

return to St Albans Magistrates'' Court on August 28."The charge is in connection with an incident which happened last night."A member of the public called just after 3am to report a single vehicle road traffic collision in Judges Hill, Northaw."A man was arrested at the scene and taken to Hatfield Police Station."This morning David Bentley, 24, has been charged with an offence to appear in a few weeks."Bentley released a statement apologising for his actions but is still likely to be fined by Spurs.It

read: "I should like to apologise to my club and the supporters for my

actions which led to my car accident last night and my subsequent

charge."It was wholly unacceptable and I fully appreciate that

as a professional footballer I have a duty to behave in a reputable and

responsible manner."I am thankful that nobody was injured in

the accident. This has been a wake-up call for me both personally and

professionally.''''

Just a complete idiot, never understood why anyone would take the chance, good job he didn''t hit anything while driving, could be a lot worse for him

SusJesus Christ! To be charged he would have had to have failed a breathaliser(sp) test. He bloody apologised for doing it in the press, and you reckon we are in contempt of court for calling him stupid for doing it? What a joke!! Lets face it, he could afford a taxi! He was an idiot for doing it, end of.

What I fail to comprehend is how there''s any motive at all apart from arrogance! If you earn that type of money you can pay a full time driver to keep you out of trouble easily. Or if (as should be the case when you''re a pro athlete on the dawn of a new season) these incidents of p**sing it up until 3am are rare - simply have one of your lackeys arrange a car for the evening. He really is a prize muppet! The exact reason that people on another thread were expressing such animosity to the England team.

"Why do stupid sods do this?"

Because footballers believe themselves to be above the laws that apply to the rest of us mere mortals...innit?

Bentley released a statement apologising for his actions but is still likely to be fined by Spurs.

It read: "I should like to apologise to my club and the supporters for my actions which led to my car accident last night and my subsequent charge.

"It was wholly unacceptable and I fully appreciate that as a professional footballer I have a duty to behave in a reputable and responsible manner.

"I am thankful that nobody was injured in the accident. This has been a wake-up call for me both personally and professionally."

Surely he''d have learned his leason the first time? Like when he got banned for speeding when he was on loan with us?[au]

If he had not had a prang and been caught, would be be sorry?  Probably not.  Strange you never hear of people apologising for their actions voluntarily without getting into bother with the law isn''t it.