Sign in to follow this  
shropshire canary

Charlton - a role model?

A lot is said about Charlton being our role model for premiership life, but on the basis of what I saw (heard really) at their game last night I just pray it never happens to our fans.

Sure their 100% home record for the season came to an end with only a point against a side they might have expected to beat, but that "expectation" is not a divine right. Booing throughout the second half, and big style on the final whistle as their side move up to 10th with a game in hand! Get real!

Are they now going to get that dreaded complacency and belief that they are in the Premiership by right and not by effort: the more sides that get this the better for us - this year anyway. After that we must never let it happen to us (fans in particular) or Coca Cola becomes the full time drink.

You say you hope it never happens to us however last year I believe that home games with Watford, Bradford, Derby, Nottm Forest, Coventry and 1st halves against Gillingham and Ipswich we were very poor and had off days.  This can happen to any team and just highlights what a poster said yesterday about being able to raise your game against the lesser teams.  Charlton were awful and Southampton were just as bad as they could not beat an awful team so it does bear good for us in the fact that we can at least finish above three sides but there are two or three points here to bear in mind:

1.  Charlton had an off day and it is just as easy for us to have these as well

2.  We must be able to raise our game against the lesser sides as well as the big sides - that was Charltons and Southamptons problem last night 

3.  None of these lesser sides can be taken for granted because three points can never be taken as 100% purely for the reason above.

I was thinking the same thing, shropshire canary.  The atmosphere at the ground was woeful throughout, with only patches of singing - and that was mostly from the travelling fans.  Mind you the game wasn''t the best in terms of quality and passion, but that shouldn''t stop fans from trying their utmost to lift their team.  (I think Charlton missed Matty Holland badly last night as their midfield never really got going!)

If we can''t raise our game for the real 6 pointers when we''re not on the telly then hello Coco Cola!

My real point is about our expectations, and how they might change: at the moment "just being there" and "enjoying the ride" are the watchwords. If we''re still there in 3 or 4 years time how will we feel when/if the likes of Sheff Utd or Wigan or whoever finally breakthrough to join us and we''re not playing well?

One of the reasons I''ve supported Norwich for 40 odd years (despite having never lived there myself:only family connections) is that when we achieve something it means so much (witness last season) because we don''t have any expectations/belief in divine rights etc. This is what I simply can''t stand about the big clubs and their supporters. Seeing Charlton fans not quite there but showing some signs of it should be a warning to all of us - for the future I hope: for now it''s "live for the moment" and bring on the Villa!

I heard some of the game on radio.. it was dire. Criticising a paying audience because the product they are watching is abysmally below standard is somewhat missing the point. Both teams played at such a poor standard that it gave me a huge surge of hope re. our own prospects for the season. But i still felt sorry for the poor sods sitting through it on a windy monday nite.

Shame we didn''t play them last night, as we may have managed to pick up the points, if we had played like we did in the other games so far.

aww I thought this was about simon charlton and some good work for charity or something. still I do think charlton will struggle more than they usually have this year, Bolton seem like a good club to follow the example of they might get into europe this year

[quote]Kent, what is the significance of the penny farthing with a parasol on it and a number 6?[/quote]

Blacko, its from The Prisoner, a cult TV series about a man stuck in a village trying to escape from his captors who want to know why he resigned from his Government job..

Everyone was given numbers and he was Number Six.

I am not a number, I am a free man!