Sign in to follow this  
rich

darren bent

Hate myself for thinking this but as I watched the two games unfold today something really hit me, other than how much better we are than Ipswich, darren bent would be a great signing for us.

I know but think about it

For Darren Bent your looking at the thick end of £2m. Not sure we could spend that. Also a player in a similar mold to Hucks and WLY.

We need an alternative to that. But I understand your thinking!!!

don''t feel bad for thinking it - imagine how gutted the binner would be if he crossed the border to a proper club!

but i guess we already have similar players in his mould in mckenzie, hucks, jarvis etc

p.s that''s a great little pic you''ve got there Iwan''s - shame we can''t really see it. Am guessing it''s Myleene Klass?

On the other hand remember those so called Ipswich wonder kids who can''t get a first team game, such as Titus Bramble, Richard Wright and Darren Ambrose. Leave Bent to play cowboys and indians with his twelve year old friends.

see I refuse to believe that, if three million is too much to ask then why do west brom pay it. they can''t be that much richer than we are.

If it''s the difference between staying up and going down which it may well be, then pay it. I''m not saying we should go crazy but if three million to get us one of england''s youngest and most exciting strikers is the price then pay it.

you pay peanuts more often than not you get a monkey.

If there''s a great cheap alternative out there then fine bring him on, but in the meantime I''m saying we spend on bent, because a million quid more than marlon and much better quality.

and I agree he may be similar to what we have, but he''s a much better version of leon and that''s the key.  with him, hucks, leon and doherty we have the wealth of options and talent.

rich, I think you''ll find that West Brom are that much richer than us at this moment in time, largely because they didn''t spend much last time they went up, then they had the parachute payment last year, and now they can use the majority of their Prem money on transfers and wages whereas we have other financial obligations that have to be met as well.  Before their spending started there were people connected with their club who were mentioning figures of up to £20 million being available for transfers.  This is possibly an exaggeration, but we could never be anywhere remotely near that figure right now because of the baggage we currently have and which they largely don''t have.

Spot on Susie - nothing to add to that.

Rich, (in brummie Fast Show drawl) I think yowl foind that West Bromeech, are considerable Reecher than Norweech.

cheers suzie and actually I''ve been researching and your right, but I still maintain that an investment in a striker has to be worth our while because the long term benefits could be huge.  We have a real chance to stay up this season, I''d hate to think we went down because we were to scared to spend a little bit.  Like last season showed (when we didn''t have much cash either and bought in the strikers) you have to speculate to accumulate sometimes. I think we can stay up just, but it would be much less nerve wracking if we buy a striker come january.

Still I think west brom will probably blow all their cash on megson''s sacking

Thing is though Rich, if we save our cash this season then go down and come back up, we''ll be exactly where WBA are now, 20m in the bank.If we decide to spend 3m on a striker - when in my opinion it is the midfield who aren''t doing their job well enough anyway - we may go down and then we''re in BIG trouble.

I expect Bradford thought it was a good idea to bring in Carbone and Ravanelli as it would guarantee survival. I dont fancy following that route.

A1 - Im glad you appreciate the mylenne picture. Its always good to see a good looking woman in the yellow and green. I will try to paste a bigger copy in this message....here goes!!

....nice

Only avatars and photos in your profile can be uploaded from your PC. Pictures within messages have to be uploaded to webspace or linked from another website. Thus:

i know guys I totally understand what your saying and respect the feeling and know the dangers.  It''s a fruitless arguement anyway as we''ve made our choice for the next few months, so let''s hope leon and ryan are given some chances. failing that I think myleene could be a good signing, if nothing else she looks better than doherty in the kit

Bent is a class palyer and should form a formidable combination with Hux.

I do think Sundays game showed we do need a dedicated striker up front and due to the transfer window Worthy has the rest of the year to give the likes of Leon, Jarvis and Sven plenty of chances to prove they are up to the job.

However I do agree with some of bananamans comments that it is not just up front that we are failing as an attacking force. The service to hux in the first half was poor and my particular hobby horse - a creative midfielder - should also be on our shopping list come January. That is assuming that Jonson has not got to grips with the pace of the prem and Bentley buckles down and starts delivering on the banked potential.

No one is suggesting that the clubs puts itself in any financial jeopardy by signings big fee high earnings freeloaders - we just want quality players who can fit in with Worthys approach. NWs summer signings continue to show that he can do it.

In the meantime Worthy can use the window as a stick to give fringe players an incentive to do well and save the club some cash by filling the current holes in the team.

So come on Wothy give Leon a chance to show what he can do and have the courage to drop ANY player that fails to deliver over 4/5 games (incl a certain scots midfielder) as we now have the squad to give cover.

OTBC