Sign in to follow this  
Norwich4Evz

Bryan Gunn Fired

I''m shocked!

I was hopefuly Gunn wouldnt be given long; with the CEO seeming like he meaned business; but blimey. What is this all about?

Its uncomprehendable, its beyond belief. I didnt and dont want him as a NCFC manager; and the 7-1 defeat summed up my opinion. However, if sacking him after Saturday was kneekerk, you could still understand it, with half a new board; however to leave it untill after a 4-0, with shoots of recovery perhaps seems barmy, absolutely barmy.

My only guess is that the decision was made pre tueday, and appointments are well in the pipleline.

The problems (as i said all along) was appointing Gunn, shortly before the new board, it needed to be the other way around. The old board were cluless, and for them to make a managerial choice before resigning summed up their inadequacies...

I feel sorry for Gunn, he should have been told thanks, but no thanks, in the summer.

I dont believe in Gunns managerial ability, so for the long term i think it will be right; you could say it is acting before it gets too late, so for that perhaps we should be greatful.

But the timing, we need a result tomorrow to keep momentum; and this must unsettle the team surely. If it was going to be done it should have been done on Monday Morning, not after a week of training in the south west, unbelievalble.

There i suspect may be slightly more to come out yet....

[quote user="Jumpers for Goalposts"]Christ knows what those players that signed during the summer must be thinking. This Board seems to shoot itself in the foot superbly well.[/quote]

It''s a right '' Carry -On '' at Carrow Road, that''s for sure......

Extraordinary! Certainly an interesting way for McNally to show who''s boss and try and dispel the mumsie Norwich image!

Timing is very strange and I can''t help but feel sorry for Gunny and we should always remember his legendary status at the club and try not to remember THAT game last weekend. Makes Smith and Jones look a tad sheepish though for appointing him on a permanent basis in the first place. That said, should we also commend them for appointing a hatchet man CEO... at last! [:D]

ex-goal keeper
ex-sheriff
ex-alround club servant
ex-manager
ex-legend(?)...lets hope not!!

How can you say that he isn''t a legend? Quality GK and you couldnt find a more decent bloke. Would do anything for NCFC. Unlucky that it didnt turn out as he had hoped but that''s football...

This is a un-Norwich like thing to do but I''ve been saying for ages we can''t keep doing the same things and expecting different results. I expected a new vision from the new board but not quite this quick and dramatic. Anyone else feel a bit weird?

So there is a God, now let''s all pray the next Manager is the right one. (and I''m not even religeous). I know this sounds harsh, but I don''t even feel sorry for him, promoted way beyond his abilities he should never have accepted the job after last season. Had he really bled yellow and green, he would not have accepted the job when offered. Does anyone know how long his contract was?

Poor Bryan. Don''t think he was the right man for the job but once he was appointed he should have been given a proper chance

[quote user="Jumpers for Goalposts"]Christ knows what those players that signed during the summer must be thinking. This Board seems to shoot itself in the foot superbly well.[/quote]Tbh, I reckon they''ve had enough time to work out that he was inept as a Manager. If a good appointment is made they will be even happier.

Absolute Madness. Two games into the season is no time at all for a squad to get into any kind of rhythm.

Three managers in two seasons and God knows how many players in that time. No wonder we are in such chaos.

And [putting on the tin hat] with so many fans expecting instant fixes, we now know that the next manager can not expect to survive long if results are not going as we want.

The club needs stability and unity. There will now be endless arguments on this board (and by the board) on who to appoint. How long do we give them to appoint someone? How long does the new manager get to obtain results? Our record this season is W1 - L1. A 50% success rate not acceptable?

With regards to finances, we have now wasted another years salary by sacking Gunn. This after one week. We are probably still paying Roeder, and Grant + all the previous back room team. What a waste. And then people wonder why we have no money.

Anyway hats off to The Daily Mirror

They''ve obviously got a man on the inside - I''ll look out for any Norwich -related rumours they put out now

I agree the timing of this is ridiculous. Why give him the job at the beginning of summer, give him lots of money then sack him after, agreed what was a disgraceful performance.

But we showed signs of recovery against Yeovil, he may not have been the right person for the job, but he should have been given more time, to sack him one game into the season???

I''m really sorry for Gunny.  I''d like to have thought that the club could find a role for him still, back at the Gunn club.  He will always be a Norwich City legend, and one would like to think it''s not just for presiding over the record home defeat and the relegation to the third tier.

And, yes, one would normally worry about what the players who Gunn bought over the Summer would think about seeing the man who bought them dismissed after one game (even after that game).

On the other hand, it''s just possible that the timing may permit an alternative explanation.  The players have been away together in the West Country.   McNally with them.   If he learned from spending that time with them that they didn''t believe in Gunn, that might expalin the move.   And there''s plenty who have suggested, not least on these boards, that the decision to change Saturday''s team was not Gunn''s, but that of his coaching team.   In which, if that were right, case the 4-0 win, far from being a vindication of Gunn, would effectively have been his death knell.  And the timing on the eve of the Exeter game suggests that they have someone else lined up very quickly.

I am shocked. On the one hand, I think McNally is doing everything he set out to do in trying to get this club back up to the Championship and certainly hasn''t held back. On the other, I''m surprised it came after a 4-0 win. On the plus side, at least the situation is being addressed NOW rather than ten games into the season where we may have lost some valuable points. I for one think Gunn has been a little unlucky, but for me he will ALWAYS be a club legend, even despite his poor managerial run with us. He did his best, and I don''t buy into the theory that if he truly bleeds yellow and green he would''ve stepped down ages ago. He wanted to help the club and despite the dire state it was in he almost kept us up. Then, over pre-season he moved swiftly in the transfer market and even guided us to an unbeaten pre-season. Saturday was incredible for all the wrong reasons, but he made the relevant changes on Tuesday night and it worked a treat. We must now completely put Colchester behind us. Our league season effectively starts tommorow. Our season will not be judged on one game, epically appaling as it may have been. It will be judged over the course of 46 games. There has never been a more important time in the club''s history to make the correct appointment. Done with a great deal of thought, iit could be the difference between relegation and promotion.

Can''t be bothered to read all of it but it''s great news.I imagine we will get someone like Robins so they don''t have to sack Crook and Butterworth

Watch the board replace him with yet another cheap option. Probably Butterworth.

Round and round the bloody great circle goes until those in charge realise that THEY are the real problem.

Sacking Gunn changes nothing at all I''m afraid, which is why I am neither here nor there about the news.

Lesson for legendsnever manage the club you were a legend at  It will end in tears no matter whatBG was only given the job because they didnt know what else to do  He had no experience only love fro the clubNow appoint somebody who has shown they can manageStill a big enough club for somebody to show their mettle  Would suit Bothroyd but there are others  Dont get an old nag just because they have been around the division Oh and by the way  Give Gunny a job back in the club when its all settled  Best solution all roundPSI suppose you could bring back Ken Brown

[quote user="Superflash"]He wanted to help the club and despite the dire state it was in he almost kept us up.[/quote]

No he didn''t. Not even close. We were relegated by five points.

That alone was reason enough not to offer him the job in the first place. Thankfully he''s been given the boot before he could do too much damage this year.

I for one am very pleased, it was obvious last season that Gunn was the cheap option and well out of his depth as a football manager.

Having said all that he''s devoted his life to our club and will always retain his legend status with us fans.

Well done McNally and new board members for having the balls to act quickly to stop this club rotting further.

I just done see how the Mirror got the news so quickly, even before bbc, canaries, pinkun etc.

???

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]

[quote user="Superflash"]He wanted to help the club and despite the dire state it was in he almost kept us up.[/quote]

No he didn''t. Not even close. We were relegated by five points.

That alone was reason enough not to offer him the job in the first place. Thankfully he''s been given the boot before he could do too much damage this year.

[/quote]The situation for clubs at the bottom changed practically every week. I can remember on at least two occasions we were back out of the bottom 3. Even despite losses to Ipswich and Reading, we were still not down mathmatically on the final day. I''d say that "not even close" is a little unfair. 

Our club is a joke. I could have understood parting with Gunn at the end of last season even though i was undecided on him either way. But they have let him spend the money on bringing his players in only to let him have one league game before effectively firing him. Now i guess they will have to pay him off and possibly Crook and Butterworth aswell if the new manager doesnt want them, good to know the unclaimed rebate money was well spent.

Our club is a joke. I could have understood parting with Gunn at the end of last season even though i was undecided on him either way. But they have let him spend the money on bringing his players in only to let him have one league game before effectively firing him. Now i guess they will have to pay him off and possibly Crook and Butterworth aswell if the new manager doesnt want them, good to know the unclaimed rebate money was well spent. I

Our club is a joke. I could have understood parting with Gunn at the end of last season even though i was undecided on him either way. But they have let him spend the money on bringing his players in only to let him have one league game before effectively firing him. Now i guess they will have to pay him off and possibly Crook and Butterworth aswell if the new manager doesnt want them, good to know the unclaimed rebate money was well spent. I just

Our club is a joke. I could have understood parting with Gunn at the end of last season even though i was undecided on him either way. But they have let him spend the money on bringing his players in only to let him have one league game before effectively firing him. Now i guess they will have to pay him off and possibly Crook and Butterworth aswell if the new manager doesnt want them, good to know the unclaimed rebate money was well spent. I just hope