Sign in to follow this  
Jonzey

Amazing decision to sack Gunn!!

Yet again our witless board take an amazing decision with the manager!!

Surely it was obvious at the Charlton mauling that Gunn wasn''t up to the job, yet the board give him the full time contract and let him spend money over the summer to build his team?

So Gunn stays, his new team recieve the worst beating in their history and the most embarassing scoreline in football probably ever, but still he stays? Then they go onto win 0-4 in the cup, and the day before an important away match they choose then to sack him?!

Who makes these decisions?! I''m dumbfounded, why not get a proper manager in after we get relegated? I give up, I''m going to cry in a corner! 

It''s difficult certainly to piece it all together Jonzey, and like many of the crucial happenings at CR, we may never know the truth.

For me though it hangs on the new CE and the other two board members, who all three, had no input at all into his selection in the first place. Delia and the two Michaels (with Munby making up the board of directors at the time) appointed the temporary management team full time, before the new board members were on board.

Secondly Saturday. Yes, the start of a new season, but also the game following Charlton and relegation. More of the same (same pathetic display even though personnel had changed). Coupled to that it was one of (if not the worst) displays many of us can remember. And the fans'' reactions (the two ST holders running on the pitch) protests and most importantly, national media attention, probably made the boards'' decision for them.

Very interesting for me would be further examination into the unanimous decision. Just how unanimous was it? We just don''t know for sure, rumours and stories abound. Was he sacked after Colchester and they just kept it quiet? Was Butterworth, in everything but name, in charge at Yeovil?

Strangely for me the thing that doesn''t add up is the amount of players who have come in since the new board members came here. What was their remit for Gunn, 10 games, the whole season, or out if it started disastrously? That I doubt we will ever know.

For me, though it shows a tough new (very new) direction by the board. If this was Delia''s decision I will be amazed. If there are now people on the board of directors who can firmly put her right on certain issues, that''s IMO to be welcomed.

I won''t be a hypocrite and pretend to be saddened by this news, because I am not. I was furious after Charlton and that has not changed. We need people to rebuild the club from top to bottom. Looks like we now have someone tough at the top. Interesting times.

[quote user="Jonzey"]

Surely it was obvious at the Charlton mauling that Gunn wasn''t up to the job, yet the board give him the full time contract and let him spend money over the summer to build his team?

So Gunn stays, his new team recieve the worst beating in their history and the most embarassing scoreline in football probably ever, but still he stays? Then they go onto win 0-4 in the cup, and the day before an important away match they choose then to sack him?!

Who makes these decisions?! I''m dumbfounded, why not get a proper manager in after we get relegated? I give up, I''m going to cry in a corner! 

[/quote]Understand the game!!!!!, this  is not about the last 2 games this about the future of Norwich City! If you watched the games you would clearly see the issues with Gunn,i think this is a great decision, and shows Mcnally has what it takes to make big descision''s and is not employing his friends hoping they will do the job!Roll on the good times!

I hope you''re right Gazza that someone tough has come in, I also they have the cahunas too spend the money on a proven manager!!!!

Does anyone know if he gets a pay off btw, surely not? If so further proof the club just LOVES to pour money down the drain.

Canarycharge:

I am ALL for Gunn going, make no mistake!! This is great news, I''m just very confused about the timing. He should never have got the job, let alone get it permantly after the Charlton debacle.

Couldn''t agree more. What the F*** is going on?  Yes, he should have gone at 5pm last Saturday, but having sorted the boys out and won 4-0 away????  It''s the players I feel sorry for (the ones who played Tuesday[;)])  They would have been on a high for tomorrow but now what?  Gunn brought most of them in so now they''ll be thinking, new manager, new squad? More uncertainty.  This beggars belief!!

I have never been anti-board, some were good, some bad, and McNally seemed to be a move in the right direction but what is going on in that boardroom is anyone''s guess.  One can only hope that they''ve a had top drawer manager waiting on the sidelines in case we had a poor start and that this is all part of a McNallyesque master plan.  I just hope do god it''s not Dowie or Sanchez or some other failure.  If they don''t get it right this time it''s the end of the road for our beloved club.

[quote user="Jonzey"]

Canarycharge:

I am ALL for Gunn going, make no mistake!! This is great news, I''m just very confused about the timing. He should never have got the job, let alone get it permantly after the Charlton debacle.

[/quote]

Well thats fair enough! im stunned by the timing,but to be fair whens the best time???? Chances are we will win tomorrow, people would have been even more crazy,after 2 wins! so all points take im happy!

[quote user="Jonzey"]

[/quote]

Why not get one BEFORE we were relegated?

"I hope you''re right Gazza that someone tough has come in,"

Someone tough? What, like Roeder?!

We had ''tough'', then we reverted to ''nice'', now you want to go back to ''tough''.

I''d rather have someone who is a great tactician and man-manager with a half-decent track record/experience.

Scooby, I sincerely hope the new board do this right now. This next week or two is utterly vital, yet another crossroads in the clubs history.

Let''s just hope they don''t pull out infront of a big f*cking lorry like they did with Roeder and Gunn!!!

As far as I can tell, there has to be an extra-ordinary reason behind this decision. Nothing short of a massive bust-up or a requirement of investment would prompt such an oddly-timed sacking in my opinion.

Interesting times ahead.

I think an even more amazing decision would have been Bryan Gunn''s re-appointment in the close season if David McNally had been at Carrow Road at the time that decision was made.

In the short time he''s been here I''m very impressed how he''s gone about his business. I don''t believe for one minute that the previous Chief Exec would have persuaded Delia to have ditched dear old Bryan only two games into the new season. It''s a big disappointment that Mr McNally wasn''t here a few weeks earlier. Today''s decision could then have been made much sooner allowing the new manager the bulk of the close season to settle into the job.

Now we''re of the merry-go-round once again but with the season underway.....

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]It''s difficult certainly to piece it all together Jonzey, and like many of the crucial happenings at CR, we may never know the truth. For me though it hangs on the new CE and the other two board members, who all three, had no input at all into his selection in the first place. Delia and the two Michaels (with Munby making up the board of directors at the time) appointed the temporary management team full time, before the new board members were on board. Secondly Saturday. Yes, the start of a new season, but also the game following Charlton and relegation. More of the same (same pathetic display even though personnel had changed). Coupled to that it was one of (if not the worst) displays many of us can remember. And the fans'' reactions (the two ST holders running on the pitch) protests and most importantly, national media attention, probably made the boards'' decision for them. Very interesting for me would be further examination into the unanimous decision. Just how unanimous was it? We just don''t know for sure, rumours and stories abound. Was he sacked after Colchester and they just kept it quiet? Was Butterworth, in everything but name, in charge at Yeovil? Strangely for me the thing that doesn''t add up is the amount of players who have come in since the new board members came here. What was their remit for Gunn, 10 games, the whole season, or out if it started disastrously? That I doubt we will ever know. For me, though it shows a tough new (very new) direction by the board. If this was Delia''s decision I will be amazed. If there are now people on the board of directors who can firmly put her right on certain issues, that''s IMO to be welcomed. I won''t be a hypocrite and pretend to be saddened by this news, because I am not. I was furious after Charlton and that has not changed. We need people to rebuild the club from top to bottom. Looks like we now have someone tough at the top. Interesting times.[/quote]

That is what i am thinking.Did the players know he was a ''dead man walking'', whence the result??? Interesting times indeed!!

That is an excellent point, McNally came in after Gunn got the job permanantly. So sacking him 2 games in is a damning indictment.

But then why did McNally give him the money to spend, assuming it was him? Ah who knows what goes on behind closed doors at the club, it''s just one giant money blackhole really isn''t it? Until the books are available entirely for public perusal who knows what their thinking is?!

Mason, you are right, the timing is extra-ordinary.   We can only hope that it will be explained when the new man is unveiled: someone they had to move quickly for.

How much say does the chief executive have? Is he not an employed administrator? does he have the power of hire and fire? Does he sit on board meetings ? Can a clubs success be measured by the CE''s abilility?

[quote user="ctid"]

How much say does the chief executive have? Is he not an employed administrator? does he have the power of hire and fire? Does he sit on board meetings ? Can a clubs success be measured by the CE''s abilility?

[/quote]

How can he be a CEO if he cant hire and fire???