Sign in to follow this  
KeelansGlove

Target man or not - please understand

Whilst I would never put forward the idea of route one football (we should leave that to the likes of WBA) I really don''t think some people have a grip on what would happen if we would play without one. The key for a target man is to hold the ball up and distribute, and whilst I was never a huge Iwan fan (although have to admit he was a great servant to the club) he fulfilled this role superbly.

Ok so lets imagine we play without one which would be possible if we had Ian Crook in central midfield or perhaps Scott Parker, but lets get real these kind of players are even more difficult to find than good target men. So once again I say move Hucks left and give Mckenzie a chance with doc upfront !

I have to agree that our midfield and back four do not have the distribution ability to make a team without a player to hold up the ball a viability. As such we will continue to see plenty of long ''hoof'' type ball played from the back and deep lying midfielders. Only Safri and Helveg have looked really comfortable passing the ball from those positions although Charlton is a big improvement on anything we saw last season.

As I posted on the target man post I think Leon COULD be that outlet if not quite in the traditional target man mould. He is strong wnough to hold off defenders while sheilding the ball, reasonable in the air and has the mobility to chase those mis-placed punts. My only concern is whether is first touch is good enough to make the ball stick and give the defence the breathing space we need. The only way to find out is to give him a good run out with Hux.

As far as a ball playing midfielder is concerned we could still sign someone like Djorkaeff now...

OTBC

ok i know we''re not at their standard or anything, but take arsenal as an example. they are the best team in the world in my opinion and they have no target man when they play henry and reyes and it works really well. take liverpool cisse is not a target man and neither is baros. take tottenham when they play defoe and keane, niether of those are target men. my point is that we dont need a target man unless we want to play the long ball. not every team needs a target man. id like to see mckenzie and hucks play, with doherty ready to come in up front in the later minutes if we''re goin all out for a goal.