Sign in to follow this  
Arthur Whittle

Dont Make The Same Mistakes - Cheap Option Manager

Bryan Gunn will always be a legend to me but he was no manager. he gave it a go and should have left after relegation. We needed experience and the board used Gunns legend status to play the fans, sadly Gunn is the clueless boards {exception of McNally} fall guy but I wish him all the best.

What we must do now is not go for the cheap option in the hope of success. I can see City going for Butterworth or Crook to save pennys. But McNally seems to be having an influence on things and with him I hope they follow his advice and go for the right man with experince. coaches hardly ever make great managers, the list is endless.

What we need is a proven manager, Mark Robins {done wonders at Rotherham}, Aidy Boothroyd etc, in hindsight they should have snapped up Jim gannon before he went to Motherwell.

Lets hope this time they learn from there mistakes.  

Suggestions please........

Or Roy Hodgeson before Fulham! But hindsight is a wonderful thing! We also missed out on Ince as a result of our boards poor timing. I think it could be someone they have already interveiwed either for the Norwich position or McNally for Fulham.

The speed at which this has happened and the suggestion an announcement will be made after Exeter suggests they already know their man....

Watch this space I suppose (glad I got my Brnetford ticket now....could be an interesting night! :-)   )

For me it has to be one of the followin i accept some are unrealistic but footballs a funny game

Steve Coppell

Aidy Boythroyd

Lawrie Sanchez

I would have liked to have seen paul ince but hes obviously at mk dons now

But who ever it is they HAVE to be experienced this time we took a chance with Gunny and Grant it has not worked and we cant afford to get it wrong again

[quote user="Scotty121"]

For me it has to be one of the followin i accept some are unrealistic but footballs a funny game

Steve Coppell

Aidy Boythroyd

Lawrie Sanchez

I would have liked to have seen paul ince but hes obviously at mk dons now

But who ever it is they HAVE to be experienced this time we took a chance with Gunny and Grant it has not worked and we cant afford to get it wrong again

[/quote]

Lawrie Sanchez? Jesus wept.

After the last four managers got sacked we all wished for a big name and the board went for the cheap option,same thing will happen again because we are still controlled by the Cook!!! This club is in big trouble unless new investors are found!!!

[quote user="PhatCanary"]After the last four managers got sacked we all wished for a big name and the board went for the cheap option,same thing will happen again because we are still controlled by the Cook!!! This club is in big trouble unless new investors are found!!![/quote]

The thing is Keith Harris confirmed that they are only looking for investment NOT to sell up. They need to follow gunn out the door and finally accept some blame. The make the appointments, they set the budget, if you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

DELIA OUT!

Whilst I agree with

what you say I also know that in my business I employ people to do the

things I am not qualified or knowledgeable enough to do and I think

they have been very poorly advised over the years, I have the hunch

that that has changed

[quote user="Rock the Boat"]Didn''t people call Glen Roeder a "big name" when he first came here?[/quote]

No, I said he had a history of relegations and had the charisma of a slug.

Please not Lawrie Sanchez!Coppell would be a fantastic appointment-but thats not going to happen.Strachan will get some mileage because of McNally''s appointment, but no, it won''t be him.The usual runners and riders will get a mention-Bowen certainly.Interestingly, Brian Kidd has not taken up his Assistants role at Portsmouth.And I think Tony Adams might be a good bet.And certainly Mark Robins, who ticks the "knows the lower divisions" boxes.But, at the moment, I have a sneaky feeling that Gary McAllistairs name will be in the frame.High coaching qualifications, played at the highest level, respected/"nice" (important to Delia!),and did well with Leeds down here-to an certain extent.So I am going totally leftfield and saying one of Adams (Tony), McAllistair or Brian Kidd. Or a perm of any of those two.

[quote user="Old Shuck"]
Please not Lawrie Sanchez!

Coppell would be a fantastic appointment-but thats not going to happen.

Strachan will get some mileage because of McNally''s appointment, but no, it won''t be him.

The usual runners and riders will get a mention-Bowen certainly.

Interestingly, Brian Kidd has not taken up his Assistants role at Portsmouth.

And I think Tony Adams might be a good bet.

And certainly Mark Robins, who ticks the "knows the lower divisions" boxes.

But, at the moment, I have a sneaky feeling that Gary McAllistairs name will be in the frame.
High coaching qualifications, played at the highest level, respected/"nice" (important to Delia!),and did well with Leeds down here-to an certain extent.

So I am going totally leftfield and saying one of Adams (Tony), McAllistair or Brian Kidd. Or a perm of any of those two.
[/quote]

McCallister, Kidd or Adams would be a disaster!!!

Kidd is a coach not a manager, Adams more or less relegated Wycombe and took a talented Pompey team to the brink, and McCallister is a nice bloke but a crap manager.

[quote user="Sir Arthur Whittle OBE CBE OAP"]

[quote user="PhatCanary"]After the last four managers got sacked we all wished for a big name and the board went for the cheap option,same thing will happen again because we are still controlled by the Cook!!! This club is in big trouble unless new investors are found!!![/quote]

The thing is Keith Harris confirmed that they are only looking for investment NOT to sell up. They need to follow gunn out the door and finally accept some blame. The make the appointments, they set the budget, if you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

DELIA OUT!

[/quote]

No its the CEO who makes the appointments, fires staff and sets the budgets...its just another attempt to have a dig at Delia, whilst I agree with you she isn''t going to go away by just bashing her all the time!

[quote user="refjezhitchin"][quote user="Sir Arthur Whittle OBE CBE OAP"]

DELIA OUT!

[/quote]

No its the CEO who makes the appointments, fires staff and sets the budgets...its just another attempt to have a dig at Delia, whilst I agree with you she isn''t going to go away by just bashing her all the time!

[/quote]

You cant honestly say that Delia and Michael have no input on the managers and transfer budgets mate?

The thrust of the original post is spot on.

This is the last chance for the board to get the decision right.  Step one is done,  the majority shareholders now have to show they have learnt from past mistakes, listen to the board and CEO they have just put in place and appoint a manager that will  make league one sit up and take notice.

Butterworth and Crook are not options.  I am sure McNally knows that - he shows whether his reputation is warranted by the management team appointment... 

I''d prefer Coppell 100%. Doubt we''d be able to get him though. I really fear that we''re going to get someone rubbish, e.g., Adams (the man with no-brain) or whatever. I kind of think the board might just go the whole hog and just appoint someone even more clueless like Bill Oddie -- that''s how much I now expect from them!

Been thinking about this over the last couple of days and the question of money raises the question that Gunn would have had some form of compensation package and the timing is a little peculier.

However, referring to a previous post I saw earlier this week about the financial need to go straight back up or administration potentially looms offers some credibility to my suspicion that some form of investment may have already started to trickle in... not backed up by any proof, merely my thoughts.

Macnally seems to be prepared to make swift decisions though and the ''He deserved more time'' sentiment would mean that the new manager would only have had days til the end of the transfer window... I am hopeful that I might be pleasantly surprised over the next week.

Giving it to either Butterworth or Crook would seem like a cop out as they were Gunn''s choices....

Butterworth or Crook would be another cheap potion and backward step by the club. Hopefully McNally puts his foot down and finally gets this club a decent manager.

[quote user="Old Shuck"]

Strachan will get some mileage because of McNally''s appointment, but no, it won''t be him.

But, at the moment, I have a sneaky feeling that Gary McAllistairs name will be in the frame.
High coaching qualifications, played at the highest level, respected/"nice" (important to Delia!),and did well with Leeds down here-to an certain extent.

So I am going totally leftfield and saying one of Adams (Tony), McAllistair or Brian Kidd. Or a perm of any of those two.
[/quote]

Tony Adams?! Thank god you''re not on the board ...

[quote user="NCFC_Shaun"]

[quote user="Old Shuck"]

[/quote]

Tony Adams?! Thank god you''re not on the board ...

[/quote]

Well siad that man! A terrible manager!