Sign in to follow this  
rich

which kind of diamond works best for us?

I noted in the champions league there was two effective, but very different uses of the diamond system, I was wondering if any you thought the canaries would work better with.

There''s the basic traditional model, as used by chelsea where the holding midfield sits in front of the defence, two energetic midfields working alongside and someone sits in the front behind the front two controlling the play.

Or the AC Millan model where the holding player is the playmaker and not the ball winner, he sits and picks off the passes, controlling the game.   The two midfielders in front are the real ball winners, with the man behind the strikers again.

Do we work best if we sit holt in front of the defence and let francis and safri bomb forward, or do we work better if holt and francis are doing the covering work and allowing safri to pick of the passes, or do we just scrap the diamond all together.

Interested on any thoughts,

rich

I mean by the way to clarify my rubbish english, in the third paragraph, that there is a man behind the front two again not that he does any ball winning because his role never changes

How about we not play holt at all. he can''t cut it in this division. i think it would be better if safri played in front of the defence with francis and bentley coming forward. (preferably with hux behind the front two of leon and jarvis!)

My only issue with any diamond formation is that it deprives us of width and makes a team more predictable as an attacking force. In citys case that would mean more long balls in the direction of Hux, something we need to move away from.The second half against spurs should that we can use the system, but highlighted the only we have is Hux scenario. Add leons movement instead of Doc and we might be getting somewhere!OTBC

I''ve never been a fan of the diamond midfield. I just think players get confused as to their roles. The England team can''t even get it right with a diamond at times, so I''m not convinced Norwich will be able to.

To my mind you can''t beat good old 4-4-2 (you get width, you get a holding midfielder and you get a playmaker).

Nevertheless, a diamond of sorts worked to some extent against spurs, although spurs should have finished us off before we even had a chance to show them what we''re made of.

How about the 4-3-3 we were playing last season to devastating effect?

This would be my team -

Green

Helveg Doherty Charlton Drury

Francis Safri Bentley

McKenzie Huckerby
Svensson

I dont think you can have only Francis and Safri as our ball winners. It''s too attacking a lineup.

Personally, I like the way we played against Spurs a LOT. My only suggested test would be Helveg in for Holt. That would provide experience, strength, tackling and just general cleverness of a very experienced player to add weight to the midfield.

We also need to be careful of relying on the longball since that means we''re forced to have a big man up front when it''s possible that we dont. If you have Hux and Bents right behind him with a flexible choice for the other striker (Doc, Sven, Leon etc) then you have more options.

So it also means that Safri needs to be able to move forward slightly oterhwise he will be left with picking out long balls. And with Helveg in there, you can always have Helveg and Safri interchanging where appropriate with Francis left to make marauding runs.

The Villa games stands to be our most exciting one so far this season. This is the type of team we need to mark ourselves against when playing at home. They are good. But not great. We are at home. If we are to make an impression in this league, we need to win against Villa. A draw would be marginally acceptable. A loss would be very unfortunate.

ive said this quite a lot but i would like to see:

------------Green------------
Edworthy-Flem-Charlton-Drury
-----------Safri-------------
-----Francis---------Bently
------------Huckerby-------
----Mckenzie--------Doc----

or maybe; as i cant see worthy dropping holt;

------------Green------------
Edworthy-Flem-Charlton-Drury
-----------Safri-------------
-----Holt---------Bently
------------Francis-------
----Huckerby--------Doc----

If we are back on formations mine ideal solution would be 4-2-3-1 (with Holt the undroppable as thecompulsory inclusion)

Greeno

Helveg Doc Charlton Drury
Safri Holt
Jonson/Bentley/McVeigh Francis Hux
Leon

Ideally Francis would replace Holt and join Safri sitting deep and we could then have Leon (or Sven) as the point man with a pacey trio from the 4 of McVeigh, Bentley,Jonson and Hux who would be given licence to roam across the pitch as Deco,Figo and Ronaldo did.

And the advantage is that Leon is better than Pauletta!

OTBC

As used by Greece and Portugal