Sign in to follow this  
USAcanary

What a strange day...........some random thoughts.

As already suggested even if the board met earlier in the week, the timing is really strange.........

I agree with those who think that something happened in the last 1-2 days that caused the board to take the action they did.

Why so late in the day before a crucial game????

Either some kind of bust up or maybe another manager has agreed to take over?

The rumors of management bust ups have been flowing. Probably no smoke without fire.

As I said last week I could understand if they sacked Gunn NOW, mainly because the transfer window is still open and a new manager can still wheel and deal a bit.

Its easy to not look on Gunn''s reign as very positive.
The board have totally stood by the fact they said it was a "results based business"
McNally with his comments is showing he is 100% commited to winning promotion.
I think they are actually looking at the big picture and not last weekends disaster........
It would hav been easy to sack him right after the game but obviously the allowed a cooling off period to decide.
Not sure why the waited less than 24 hours before a crucial game.

I have a sneaking feeling that after time has passed history will judge Gunn as manager somewhat better.
He may even be given some praise for bringing in some quality players to the club for very little money.

As for the new guy, I already suggested Coppell or Robbins might do a good job.
I have a feeling somone is already lined up.

I actually think that the club is very attractive to a new manager

We have a board who look 100% commited to promotion.
We look like we have a half decent squad with a bit of depth at most positions.

[quote user="USAcanary"]

As already suggested even if the board met earlier in the week, the timing is really strange.........

I agree with those who think that something happened in the last 1-2 days that caused the board to take the action they did.

The rumors of management bust ups have been flowing. Probably no smoke without fire.

As I said last week I could understand if they sacked Gunn NOW, mainly because the transfer window is still open and a new manager can still wheel and deal a bit.

The board have totally stood by the fact they said it was a "results based business"
I think they are actually looking at the big picture and not last weekends disaster........
It would hav been easy to sack him right after the game but obviously the allowed a cooling off period to decide.

I have a sneaking feeling that after time has passed history will judge Gunn as manager somewhat better.
He may even be given some praise for bringing in some quality players to the club for very little money.

[/quote]

Based on what though? He only managed 6 wins, didn''t he?

[quote user="Iwan legend"][quote user="USAcanary"]

[/quote]

Based on what though? He only managed 6 wins, didn''t he?

[/quote]

On results, obviously he will be judged harshly, they were very poor....... but if the nucleus of the squad he brought in goes on to do well then obviously we must also give him credit.

As an example, say Cody goes on to catch fire and attracts a 2-3 million bid from a champ/Prem club in Jan, obviously credit would be due.......

Maybe only 6 wins, but that was a team that was a wreck when he took over. Now he''s had an off-season to assemble a team HE wants, he should be given some time to see if it''s going to work.  Who fires a manager after a 4-0 road win?

[quote user="Houston Canary"]Maybe only 6 wins, but that was a team that was a wreck when he took over. Now he''s had an off-season to assemble a team HE wants, he should be given some time to see if it''s going to work.  Who fires a manager after a 4-0 road win?[/quote]

Eeeeerrr We do ?

Seams silly to fire him after 2 games ...won 1 lost 1, ok it was a record defeat, but winning 4-0 away from home ?

Somethings afoot, me thinks 

It''s not 2 games though is it?  He was in charge for over 20 games. 

Although I have to agree last season the majority of our team was cruddy, and you can''t polish a turd, but still he wasn''t just in charge for 1 or 2 games.

It just seems a little strange to me.......IMO Gunny should never have been given the job but........he was and he has brought together a good squad. I must admit after Saturday I wanted shot of him but the squad and manager showed balls with the tough trip to Yeovil on Tuesday night.......if the meeting took place on Saturday he should have been showed the door on Saturday.....why wait until a good result? the squad have their confidence back......either sack him on Saturday or give him ten games......it just seems a waste of time and resources to let him get a squad of his own players in and then sack him after two games??

WAY49- True but presumably the slate was wiped clean by appointing him full time, allowing him to bring in 12 players, allowing him to spend £400K on Grant Holt etc. So a far as this season goes we have sacked a manager following a 4-0 win and on the eve of a league game which could result in the club dropping another three points. Common sense says that BG should have got the sack immediately after the 7-1 defeat, but he was allowed to stay on, went to Yeovil, got a 4-0 win and got the push!!!. Again common sense says that there has been some sort of bust up, the fact the club are saying nothing also suggests that, they have not even mentioned poor results.....

Can I just say the team last year should never have gone down, and the performance against Col U had too many similarities to the Valley of despair.