Sign in to follow this  
Nice and Peaceful

I wish we were a PLC....

...for the first and only time. Then we would be able to obtain minutes of Board meetings, and find out who proposed and agreed the decision to appoint Bryan in May, and compare this with who proposed the decision to sack him.

Must say I have a very mixed reaction to this decision: half of me feels (once again) let down by the club in the manner of the appointment/sacking after one game, especially as Bryan is an individual quite rightly revered by the fans of this club and many others. His Legend status will survive this blip. But I am also excited: it seems that the new Powers at the club have quickly recognised a potentially fateful flaw in the business plan and have acted swiftly to address this. I desperately hope that this signals the beginning of a new era when incompetence is not tolerated at this club.

Generally speaking, in a PLC the manager is appointed by the Chief Exec. who sacks the manager if he performs poorly, and takes responsibility for appointing a successor. In turn, if a succession of managers fail, the Chief Exec is fired by the Board. There is no tolerance of failure, and sentiment plays no part in appointment or dismissal. Perhaps we were quaintly sentimental in our appointment of Bryan, and now we have been ruthlessly efficient in sacking him. Only time will tell....

But on the other hand, I am probably one of the 99% of Norwich fans who are idiots....

[quote user="Nice and Peaceful"]...for the first and only time. Then we would be able to obtain minutes of Board meetings, and find out who proposed and agreed the decision to appoint Bryan in May, and compare this with who proposed the decision to sack him. Must say I have a very mixed reaction to this decision: half of me feels (once again) let down by the club in the manner of the appointment/sacking after one game, especially as Bryan is an individual quite rightly revered by the fans of this club and many others. His Legend status will survive this blip. But I am also excited: it seems that the new Powers at the club have quickly recognised a potentially fateful flaw in the business plan and have acted swiftly to address this. I desperately hope that this signals the beginning of a new era when incompetence is not tolerated at this club. Generally speaking, in a PLC the manager is appointed by the Chief Exec. who sacks the manager if he performs poorly, and takes responsibility for appointing a successor. In turn, if a succession of managers fail, the Chief Exec is fired by the Board. There is no tolerance of failure, and sentiment plays no part in appointment or dismissal. Perhaps we were quaintly sentimental in our appointment of Bryan, and now we have been ruthlessly efficient in sacking him. Only time will tell.... But on the other hand, I am probably one of the 99% of Norwich fans who are idiots....[/quote]

One for your local paper I think.  They should know - they have a man on the board and should be quite capable of providing a "non attributable" answer.  Or not, as the case may be.

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

One for your local paper I think.  They should know - they have a man on the board and should be quite capable of providing a "non attributable" answer.  Or not, as the case may be.

[/quote]They would have been unlikely to ask the question even before they had a man on the board.