Sign in to follow this  
The Ghost of Percy Varco

Man of the match on Sunday.

were you watching the same game, the one one I saw was where green made numerous great saves to keep us in it, that was the one on sky against spurs. that was why he was man of the match

[quote]were you watching the same game, the one one I saw was where green made numerous great saves to keep us in it, that was the one on sky against spurs. that was why he was man of the match[/quote]

Yeh I saw that one too, where he saved three probable goals that lots of (ENGLAND) keepers would have missed.

I can only assume you are being ironic. Greeno''s performance was one of the best goalkeeping performances I''ve seen from ANY keeper EVER. We would''ve been 2 or 3 nil down without him. The Atouba save looked impossible and reminded me of banksy!

Utter nonsense. Name me a top class save he made (other than the Atouba one) that wasn''t hit straight at him and were simple saves he''d expect to make everytime? Not having a go at Green before you boys with who can take criticism get on your high horse merely pointing out there were more worthy men of the match.

[quote]Utter nonsense. Name me a top class save he made (other than the Atouba one) that wasn''t hit straight at him and were simple saves he''d expect to make everytime? Not having a go at Green before you bo...[/quote]

In your solitary opinion that is, but that''s what the forum is all about people with different views and long may it continue, would be very boring if we all felt the same wouldn''t it ?

I am slightly with you on this one Percy, I think some of the praise for Greeno was a little bit over the top.  After all, what did he do in that particular match that he doesn''t do week in week out?  It''s just a case that finally the rest of the world is noticing how good a keeper he is.

As well as Green played, I personally thought that Charlton was a more worthy recipient of MOTM.

Ok I''ll name two more quality saves, the deflected shot from defoe - he was wrong footed by the deflection and still managed to save it, and his save of keane''s effort. I was watching the game with a spurs fan who was utterly astounded by Greeno''s performance during the second half, so I don''t think we are looking through yellow and green tinted glasses. Yeah green is always good but that was special!

I think some of the coverage has been rather over the top. The Atouba save was special, and there were two or three other good ones, but the others were all saves that you would expect most good Premier keepers to make.Important though those stops are, it wasnt actually a particularily busy game for Green and we''re also conveniently overlooking the mistake he made when he came for a corner, didnt get there, and it was headed past him - if that header had been on target the headlines would have been rather different. OK, we all make mistakes but that was a bad one.So very glad to see him put on a good show, especially in front of Sven, but I would still have given MOTM to Charlton or Hucks.

As a member of the goalkeepers union I think many people are overlooking such issues as positioning, handling, presence, organising his defence, agility, distribution as well as the obvious saves he made. On Saturday Greeno gave a top class performance in all areas, well deserving his MOM status.

Still needs a hair cut though!

Bring on Da Villa