Sign in to follow this  
KeelansGlove

Who would you have on the bench who could change the game ?

Ok so we all have views about who should be playing upfront or in midfield but who would you like to see on the bench. Who do you think might on his day be worth one last throw of the dice?

I''m surprised that we are tending to have Svennson on the bench although he can have good and bad days and on a good one can turn a game I cannot imagine him being able to settle and find his range in ten or 15 minutes. Likewise Leon when he has come on has managed to be in the right place for a number of chances but so far failed to put one away.

How about Hendo and Jarvis or even Mulryne ?

Paul Mcveigh upfront ? he was fantastic in this position a couple of years ago and realistically only pushed out onto the right because we couldn''t find anyone else to do it consistently. He was clinical with his strike against Man U.

I suppose what I''m saying is I hope Worthy is keeping his eyes open in training and keeping his options open. It can be a bit dull when the substitutions are repeated week in week out even if they have failed to have an impact on the game.

Cant wait till Sat.

OTBC

I agree its time to give Ryan Jarvis a look - at least on the bench, any striker coming on in the 2nd half should be given a minimum of 20 minutes to make his mark - no good messing around with the last 5 to 10 minutes. My team for Saturday: Green,Eddy,Flem,Charlton,Drury,Safri,Francis,Helveg,Bentley,Doc,Hucks. Bench McVeigh,Holt,Jarvis,Mckenzie

Think it might be interesting to try Helveg as a right hand midfielder acting as a first line of defence and attack, maybe playing over laps with Ed. From what I saw his distribution play was pretty good in the starting games and that is an area we need to improve.

Of the 5 we are allowed we would have 1 keeper, 1 defender a midfielder and a couple of strikers.

Assuming the starting line from Spurs remains Helveg will remain the defensive player with Gallagher the keeper.

If we are talking about possibly changing the game I think we are looking at 4 players, Leon, McVeigh, Jonson and Jarvis.

Leon has been used a sub frequently this season and while doing well has not scored or had that changed the game effect. Does he have the quality needed to have a real impact in the prem? We all hope so but the evidence is not there yet.

Again McVeigh has played well when used as a sub and has finished a chance when it came his way. He is better on the ball than Leon but not as strong. His first touch is better than Leons so I would put him ahead of Leon. In addition he has clearly learnt to play to Worthys orders.

Jonson remains an unknown. He clearly has ability and plenty of pace but by his own admission has struggled so far to come to terms with the British game. However most Scandanavians do pick it up pretty quickly. Given his experience and pedigree I would have thought that his pace against tiring defenders COULD be devasting and a real game changer.

Jarvis is mix of Jonson and Bentley. He has oodles of potential that is yet to be fulfilled but has the skills that could really change a game. He seems to be in form and has filled out meaning he will not be knocked off the ball so easily.

With the central midfielders lining up against Spurs I dont see Mullers giving us anything that Bentley, Safri or Francis already has in the team.

My choice of subs against villa would be Gallagher, Helveg, McVeigh, Jonson and Leon. Later in the season I would be looking to use Jarvis.

I suspect though that Sven will remain on the bench, allowing him to replace Doc either as a straight swap or to allow doc to cover for an injured centre half.

OTBC

Give Jarv a go. Its about time he was given a run out afterall its been 2yrs since he made his debut and he still hasnt been given a real run! With his vision im sure he could play an important part for us. Maybe the arrival of bentley hasnt helped his chances but if your good enough your old enough! Hate to say it but look at the success of a certain young striker (bowditch) down the rd!!