Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

How far was Gunn a managerial failure?

He did not keep us up, agreed. It was always going to be difficult, with so many loan players of doubtful commitment and inheriting a poor squad from Roeder,Grant and the Board. Could anyone else have kept us up? Possibly someone less human than Gun and prepared to bully players might have done.Someone more experienced might have succeeded, but ever year good experienced managers go down with their teams, Middlesborough, for instance.Did he have a chance? I think not, after a good and promising pre-season he had one failure, which can be put down to nightmare appearances by two or three players which shell-shocked most of the others. He then won an away game at Yeovil. That was all he was allowed.What contribution did he make? He has signed on the usual shoe-string a generally good squad, got rid of some deadwood, promoted Adayemi, brought on Cody. In these respects he was much better than Grant or Roeder. He has left his successor a squad which could challenge for promotion, - on this bookmakers and experts were all agreed.Could he have become a good manager? This is the most difficult. Some would argue that he is simply too nice a person. Others might say  that he would be much better in terms of tactics and strategy after more experience. He was part of a triumvirate, so did he not consult the others.At best we might have to say that the jury''s still out on this one.One things is certain. Although we are in a lower division, we have arguably the best squad for several years, both in quality and quantity, with a real strking threat and good midfield presence. There are still one or two positions where improvement could be made.

Please, please, please can we put this misconception to bed? Let’s not forget that the squad that Gunn inherited from Roeder contained many players that Gunn, as Head of Player Recruitment, recommended. The squad that Gunn took over was his as much as Roeders. Gunn’s record as manager was abysmal and the man had to go.

But how do you know if GR accepted or bought Gunns recommendations? I very much doubt to be honest, I think it was a token gesture by GR and actually I think Gunn would have been looking in the lower league for players like Cody but GR wanted yoots from the Prem, maybe, I don''t know.

[quote user="Salopian"]He did not keep us up, agreed. It was always going to be difficult, with so many loan players of doubtful commitment and inheriting a poor squad from Roeder,Grant and the Board. Could anyone else have kept us up? Possibly someone less human than Gun and prepared to bully players might have done.Someone more experienced might have succeeded, but ever year good experienced managers go down with their teams, Middlesborough, for instance.[/quote]Disagree almost entirely with you.Managers aren''t usually nice guys. The best ones work on respect.  The performance in the 19 games he was in charge last year, and the Colchester fiasco, showed a manager whom the players had no respect for, and a manager who could not motivate them to play for each other and the supporters.  He was dealt a bad hand to begin with in terms of players, but played the hand poorly, and loaned in some absolute rubbish (Killen?  Carney?) to "bolster" the team.  Then, for his first competitive game with his "own team" to end in a club record home defeat shows he was a complete failure as a manager.We only have the "best squad for several years" because we''ve been accustomed to loans, cast offs and crap from other clubs.  What do you mean by "several years"?  It''s just about the best squad since 2007-8, but that''s really not saying much.  It shows nothing more than how far your expectations have been managed down by this incompetent shower in the boardroom.

The main thing to remember is that it''s a results game.

Won 6

Drawn 5

Lost 10

That''s a win percentage of 29% It''s just not good enough. The problem is that he shouldn''t have been given the role permanently. In all fairness, he did a great job bringing in the players that he has. The optimism for the actual team was sky high before the season started. Unfortunately I don''t think the optimism was ever there for Gunn''s tactical mind and ability.

I think his results speak for themselves on a whole as how far he was a managerial failure. It''s a shame because I''m sure everyone would have wanted him to do well. For the sake of the club if not even for him, but it wasn''t to be. Now we''ve just got to hope that McNally has already got someone lined up of a good calibre.

Win ratio of 29%. Not good enough in any universe.Did he bring in the players or did Crook, Butterworth and Deehan find them?Strong rumours that Crook and Butterworth fell out with Gunn and each other and that Crook has gone back to Australia already.  Is that the sign of a good manager?Gunn was not good enough and should never have been appointed.What scares me is that this board was a lava flow of abuse for the man and demands to get rid of him, yet now he has gone the same spineless keyboard warriors are now getting cold feet.

I said at the time that Gunns appointment was the worst decision in the history of football. He has gone, but who put him there?

Delia should stick to baking cakes and making pies.

The Useless twat had half the season to do something right....we were not in a relegation battle when Humpty took over from rodent. and he obviously had no idea about the job !! Incredible that you people still  defend him !! As for legend............ha ! the only thing that sticks in my mind , is the air kick that cost us against the scum .......I dont think half the posters on this site have ver been to Carrow Road , well only to shop at Morrisons maybe  ..!

He was a complete nightmare from day one despite the home win over Barnsley.  He continually played people out of position, he routinely left his substitutions until late on in the game, he stuck with under performing players for too long.

A nice guy who played well for us in goal, but in my opinion he would never have made a good manager.  It is a real shame that Delia and Co were so quick to re-appoint him in the summer, when we could have appointed a proper manager with experience.

Barclay seats 48/9.

Don''t like your tone! For your information, yes we were in a relegation before he took over, any idiot would know that, that''s why Roeder was sacked, D''oh. You obviously have no memory at all if all you can remember was that air kick. Have you actually been to Carrow road either? Did you attend any of the games then? Especially in Europe or brilliant performances in the top flight for season after season otherwise you would know, as a player, he will always be a legend you oaf! Talk about kicking a man when he''s down. Also he was actually no worse than the previous 2 managers either. So I am one of ''you people'' defending him as a playing legend. Why do you need 2 seats???

"Unfortunately I don''t think the optimism was ever there for Gunn''s tactical mind and ability"

Sums the situation up nicely. Losing 5-0 at half time is one thing. Putting the same 11 out for the second half is another. Not using the third substitute is another.

But then not explaining to the fans what the reasoning behind those decisions was, and claiming not to know what happened is just inexcusable.

I give him credit - along with Crook and Butterworth - as a player in one of my favorite Norwich teams, but a manager has a duty to lead and in my opinion Brian Gunn hasn''t.

[quote user="Salopian"]He did not keep us up, agreed. It was always going to be difficult, with so many loan players of doubtful commitment and inheriting a poor squad from Roeder,Grant and the Board. Could anyone else have kept us up? Possibly someone less human than Gun and prepared to bully players might have done.Someone more experienced might have succeeded, but ever year good experienced managers go down with their teams, Middlesborough, for instance.Did he have a chance? I think not, after a good and promising pre-season he had one failure, which can be put down to nightmare appearances by two or three players which shell-shocked most of the others. He then won an away game at Yeovil. That was all he was allowed.What contribution did he make? He has signed on the usual shoe-string a generally good squad, got rid of some deadwood, promoted Adayemi, brought on Cody. In these respects he was much better than Grant or Roeder. He has left his successor a squad which could challenge for promotion, - on this bookmakers and experts were all agreed.Could he have become a good manager? This is the most difficult. Some would argue that he is simply too nice a person. Others might say  that he would be much better in terms of tactics and strategy after more experience. He was part of a triumvirate, so did he not consult the others.At best we might have to say that the jury''s still out on this one.One things is certain. Although we are in a lower division, we have arguably the best squad for several years, both in quality and quantity, with a real strking threat and good midfield presence. There are still one or two positions where improvement could be made. [/quote]

See who else employs him as a manager - that should answer your question/s.