Sign in to follow this  
bristol_canary

Re: bobby robson!

How about if you don''t like it, don''t look at it, let alone leave a message. There is a report button you know...

According to Mick Dennis,  if you buy into this ''wonderful old Bobby'' business, you are a hypocrite.  His reasoning is, if he was the manger now,  we''d be slagging him off left right and centre.

[quote user="Captain Obvious"]Wow, people take things too seriously. Anything is fair game in comedy I think; after all, it''s just a joke.

*Prepares to be pelted with eggs*
[/quote]

You should see Frankie Boyle on MTW, his jokes, more so his Kerry Katona jokes are very close to the mark. Love it thou.

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]

[quote user="Captain Obvious"]Wow, people take things too seriously. Anything is fair game in comedy I think; after all, it''s just a joke.*Prepares to be pelted with eggs*[/quote]

You should see Frankie Boyle on MTW, his jokes, more so his Kerry Katona jokes are very close to the mark. Love it thou.

[/quote]You should see the 2001 special of ''Brass Eye'', now that''s controversial. The most complained about programme ever broadcast on British television - pure genius though!

[quote user="Captain Obvious"]Wow, people take things too seriously. Anything is fair game in comedy I think; after all, it''s just a joke.*Prepares to be pelted with eggs*[/quote]

Agreed.

[quote user="BarclayChuck"][quote user="Captain Obvious"]Wow, people take things too seriously. Anything is fair game in comedy I think; after all, it''s just a joke.

*Prepares to be pelted with eggs*
[/quote] Agreed.[/quote]

The world would be a very dull and mirthless place if we outlawed jokes that were in bad taste...

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"]Personally I think it''s a tad naive to assume that everybody shares your sense of humour. Believe it or not but not everybody finds death a comedy gold mine.
[/quote]

I don''t assume everyone shares my sense of humour... and you''ve never laughed at a tasteless joke?

There''s a lot of sanctimony on this forum.

I''ve laughed at plenty of tasteless jokes, but when telling them I tread extremely carefully just incase somebody takes it the wrong way. This is hardly being sanctimonious, just sensitive to how others might take it. [:S]

Hmmm so many bad taste jokes that I shouldn''t post.......

Arrrrgggghhhhh trying to stop my fingers typing......

Michael Jackson jokes starting to spin around in my head!!

But Bobby Robson jokes are a tad to far this soon after his death. RIP

[quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="Henry"]C*unt[/quote]get a grip!!! it was a joke.. in bad taste yes...if you didnt like it..tough...dont read it!!!...the bloke is dead get over it[/quote]I find that the problem with the notion of what is ''offensive'' is that we tend to

assume that there are clear guidelines for where the boundary between

risqué and offensive lies. That is, we assume that there is such a

boundary, and that there are particular points, hard to define, where

we would clearly be stepping over the mark. This is the point about the OP: the poster clearly went too far. At some point, he violated principles of decency, respect etc. It strikes me however that offense just isn''t like that. It''s fundamentally a matter of rapport

and sympathetic engagement, and cannot be reduced to a

matter of content. If there was some pre-existing rapport between the OP and members of this forum, members of this forum wouldn''t have been upset. They wouldn''t have regarded it

as offensive. For example: If I get on with someone, and I know that they are disposed to take

what I say in a sympathetic manner, I can get away with tasteless jokes. I

can say all sorts of outrageous things, because the person will

understand where I''m being deliberately provocative, and where I''m

being serious. If, by contrast, I know that I have no rapport with that

person, I have to be extremely cautious in what I say. What would count

as offensive in the two contexts is vastly different. Thus, something is only ''offensive'' if it is taken as offense. The idea that we

could specify a set of guidelines for acceptable comedy is just

incorrect. It''s fundamentally a matter of rapport. If this rapport does not exist then it''s terribly risky to make tasteless jokes. [I]

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"][quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="Henry"]C*unt
[/quote]get a grip!!! it was a joke.. in bad taste yes...if you didnt like it..tough...dont read it!!!...the bloke is dead get over it[/quote]

I find that the problem with the notion of what is ''offensive'' is that we tend to assume that there are clear guidelines for where the boundary between risqué and offensive lies. That is, we assume that there is such a boundary, and that there are particular points, hard to define, where we would clearly be stepping over the mark. This is the point about the OP: the poster clearly went too far. At some point, he violated principles of decency, respect etc. It strikes me however that offense just isn''t like that. It''s fundamentally a matter of rapport and sympathetic engagement, and cannot be reduced to a matter of content. If there was some pre-existing rapport between the OP and members of this forum, members of this forum wouldn''t have been upset. They wouldn''t have regarded it as offensive. For example: If I get on with someone, and I know that they are disposed to take what I say in a sympathetic manner, I can get away with tasteless jokes. I can say all sorts of outrageous things, because the person will understand where I''m being deliberately provocative, and where I''m being serious. If, by contrast, I know that I have no rapport with that person, I have to be extremely cautious in what I say. What would count as offensive in the two contexts is vastly different. Thus, something is only ''offensive'' if it is taken as offense. The idea that we could specify a set of guidelines for acceptable comedy is just incorrect. It''s fundamentally a matter of rapport. If this rapport does not exist then it''s terribly risky to make tasteless jokes. [I]
[/quote]

Fair point, but when it comes to crass sexual innuendo, everyone, friends and strangers alike, knows where you stand...

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"][quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="Henry"]C*unt
[/quote]get a grip!!! it was a joke.. in bad taste yes...if you didnt like it..tough...dont read it!!!...the bloke is dead get over it[/quote]

I find that the problem with the notion of what is ''offensive'' is that we tend to assume that there are clear guidelines for where the boundary between risqué and offensive lies. That is, we assume that there is such a boundary, and that there are particular points, hard to define, where we would clearly be stepping over the mark. This is the point about the OP: the poster clearly went too far. At some point, he violated principles of decency, respect etc. It strikes me however that offense just isn''t like that. It''s fundamentally a matter of rapport and sympathetic engagement, and cannot be reduced to a matter of content. If there was some pre-existing rapport between the OP and members of this forum, members of this forum wouldn''t have been upset. They wouldn''t have regarded it as offensive. For example: If I get on with someone, and I know that they are disposed to take what I say in a sympathetic manner, I can get away with tasteless jokes. I can say all sorts of outrageous things, because the person will understand where I''m being deliberately provocative, and where I''m being serious. If, by contrast, I know that I have no rapport with that person, I have to be extremely cautious in what I say. What would count as offensive in the two contexts is vastly different. Thus, something is only ''offensive'' if it is taken as offense. The idea that we could specify a set of guidelines for acceptable comedy is just incorrect. It''s fundamentally a matter of rapport. If this rapport does not exist then it''s terribly risky to make tasteless jokes. [I]
[/quote]IT IS ONLY TASTELESS IN SOME PEOPLES EYES...NOT OTHERS...PEOPLE HAVE DIFFERENT BOUNDERIES...WHAT IS OFFESIVE TO SOME WONT BE TO OTHERS...AT THE END OF THE DAY IT WAS A JOKE....opps soz for shouting

Again, it''s not simply a matter of content, it''s a matter of rapport as well. Sexual innuendo is funny when it comes from figures that you know aren''t supposed to be taken seriously (e.g. the great Lord Flashheart), but the context may change and it can become offensive. [Y]Just to point I''m not particularly offended by your ''joke'' about Sir Bobby, but I still think it was irresponsible. [8-|]

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"]Again, it''s not simply a matter of content, it''s a matter of rapport as well. Sexual innuendo is funny when it comes from figures that you know aren''t supposed to be taken seriously (e.g. the great Lord Flashheart), but the context may change and it can become offensive. [Y]

Just to point I''m not particularly offended by your ''joke'' about Sir Bobby, but I still think it was irresponsible. [8-|]
[/quote]

Christ alive... you''ve got an answer for everything!

In context, ie in the dramatised court of Queen Elizabeth I, Flashheart caused shock and offence, did he not?

[quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="Lord Flashheart"][quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="Henry"]C*unt[/quote]get a grip!!! it was a joke.. in bad taste yes...if you didnt like it..tough...dont read it!!!...the bloke is dead get over it[/quote]I find that the problem with the notion of what is ''offensive'' is that we tend to assume that there are clear guidelines for where the boundary between risqué and offensive lies. That is, we assume that there is such a boundary, and that there are particular points, hard to define, where we would clearly be stepping over the mark. This is the point about the OP: the poster clearly went too far. At some point, he violated principles of decency, respect etc. It strikes me however that offense just isn''t like that. It''s fundamentally a matter of rapport and sympathetic engagement, and cannot be reduced to a matter of content. If there was some pre-existing rapport between the OP and members of this forum, members of this forum wouldn''t have been upset. They wouldn''t have regarded it as offensive. For example: If I get on with someone, and I know that they are disposed to take what I say in a sympathetic manner, I can get away with tasteless jokes. I can say all sorts of outrageous things, because the person will understand where I''m being deliberately provocative, and where I''m being serious. If, by contrast, I know that I have no rapport with that person, I have to be extremely cautious in what I say. What would count as offensive in the two contexts is vastly different. Thus, something is only ''offensive'' if it is taken as offense. The idea that we could specify a set of guidelines for acceptable comedy is just incorrect. It''s fundamentally a matter of rapport. If this rapport does not exist then it''s terribly risky to make tasteless jokes. [I][/quote]IT IS ONLY TASTELESS IN SOME PEOPLES EYES...NOT OTHERS...PEOPLE HAVE DIFFERENT BOUNDERIES...WHAT IS OFFESIVE TO SOME WONT BE TO OTHERS...AT THE END OF THE DAY IT WAS A JOKE....opps soz for shouting[/quote]Like I said, I think it''s more to do with rapport and sympathetic engagement than so-called ''boundaries''. It strikes me that what counts as ''offensive'' is sensitive to context rather than content. For example: I often engage in some verbal jousting with Beauseant, calling him various names etc. He doesn''t find them offensive because he knows not to take me seriously. Now, if somebody else called him the same names (somebody with whom he does not share a pre-existing rapport with), he may take offense - after all, how does he know if this person is being serious or not? Thus, what is offensive seems to be far more dependant on context than content. I''m not convinced that ''boundaries'' are really what makes something offensive. [*-)]It''s too late for this. [:P]

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"][quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="Lord Flashheart"][quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="Henry"]C*unt

[/quote]IT IS ONLY TASTELESS IN SOME PEOPLES EYES...NOT OTHERS...PEOPLE HAVE DIFFERENT BOUNDERIES...WHAT IS OFFESIVE TO SOME WONT BE TO OTHERS...AT THE END OF THE DAY IT WAS A JOKE....opps soz for shouting[/quote]

Like I said, I think it''s more to do with rapport and sympathetic engagement than so-called ''boundaries''. It strikes me that what counts as ''offensive'' is sensitive to context rather than content. For example: I often engage in some verbal jousting with Beauseant, calling him various names etc. He doesn''t find them offensive because he knows not to take me seriously. Now, if somebody else called him the same names (somebody with whom he does not share a pre-existing rapport with), he may take offense - after all, how does he know if this person is being serious or not? Thus, what is offensive seems to be far more dependant on context than content. I''m not convinced that ''boundaries'' are really what makes something offensive. [*-)]

It''s too late for this. [:P]
[/quote]

Agreed: just killing time before Babel on 5 (another story of humans failing to understand each other!)

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"][quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="Lord Flashheart"][quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="Henry"]C*unt

[/quote]IT IS ONLY TASTELESS IN SOME PEOPLES EYES...NOT OTHERS...PEOPLE HAVE DIFFERENT BOUNDERIES...WHAT IS OFFESIVE TO SOME WONT BE TO OTHERS...AT THE END OF THE DAY IT WAS A JOKE....opps soz for shouting[/quote]

Like I said, I think it''s more to do with rapport and sympathetic engagement than so-called ''boundaries''. It strikes me that what counts as ''offensive'' is sensitive to context rather than content. For example: I often engage in some verbal jousting with Beauseant, calling him various names etc. He doesn''t find them offensive because he knows not to take me seriously. Now, if somebody else called him the same names (somebody with whom he does not share a pre-existing rapport with), he may take offense - after all, how does he know if this person is being serious or not? Thus, what is offensive seems to be far more dependant on context than content. I''m not convinced that ''boundaries'' are really what makes something offensive. [*-)]

It''s too late for this. [:P]
[/quote]if you called me names..i would not find it offensive.if you ment it or not..because i really coulndt give a tosh...that is the difference...my bounderies maybe more relaxed..but i can see where you are coming from...people will always take things diferently weather it is ment in that context or not...you could say something so innocent but someone would take offence....thats life