Sign in to follow this  
Hoolahan? Youlahan!

My Two Cents On The Whole Situation

I feel that after the Colchester humiliation, things were beginning to look up after we dismantled Yeovil 4-0 away at Huish Park in the Carling Cup. That is, until the decision to sack Bryan Gunn was taken a few days later. If the Board were going to sack Gunn, why not sack him after a 7-1 humiliation rather than a 4-0 win? Gunn said after the 4-0 win that "the season starts here", well, for him it came to an abrupt end. After Yeovil I was convinced we would still go straight back up but following Gunn''s sacking I do not know what to think. It all hinges on whether our failure of a Board can get something right for once and appoint a man with the experience to take us back up. In my opinion all our eggs should be in Steve Coppell''s basket, as he is proven at most levels of the English game, and I feel would be an assured choice and would result in our promotion.

Today''s result, had any of us been focussing on it in light of recent occurrences, was poor. A point away is a point away, but if we are to achieve McNally''s goal of promotion, I feel we need to be smashing teams like Exeter, with all due respect to them, no matter whether home or away. We have by far a stronger squad than Exeter, and had we played with the confidence we played with after scoring at both Yeovil and Exeter for the full 90 minutes, I am confident that we could have taken 3 points.

However, we did not play anywhere near our apparent full capability. You can say it was the disruption of Gunn''s sacking and attribute everything to that, but for me I think that is a complete copout of an excuse. In my opinion the team picked against Yeovil and Exeter was a team picked by an amalgamation of Crook and Butterworth and not Bryan Gunn. I think Gunny picked the team against Colchester, hence the Crook and Butterworth argument as Gunny wanted the final say as he thought he knew what he was doing... Gunn then may well have taken a step back and essentially said, go on then, you pick a winning team... More evidence that this was the case comes in with the fact that according to interviews with Gunn, he had intended to keep Theoklitos for Yeovil, and then surprise, surprise, he was dropped. I think the gag order was placed on the players by McNally, in case of anyone revealing the bustup between Crook, Butterworth and Gunn, as the former duo believed the latter had picked the wrong team at Colchester, and Gunn begged to differ, eventually giving in after McNally had a word in his ear.

Of course, all of my claims here are unfounded, but I had a bloody good go at explaining the strange goings on at our fine club over the last few days.

HY

I don''t think we''ll ever know what went on this week.  The timing was a bit bizarre but it was the right decision imo. 

For the first time in years the club has stated its objective for the season, which is promotion and nothing else.  They assessed Gunn''s ability against that objective and decided he wasn''t the man for the job, and based on his record it would be hard to disagree.  There was therefore only one decision to be made.

Now the task is to to find someone who potentially could get us promoted.  No guarantees of course, but someone who can give us a fighting chance.

The underlying reason for this sudden concentration of minds?  If we don''t get promoted at the first attempt, administration is all but certain imo.  Quite literally it''s "Promotion or bust". 

Personally I believe the damage is already done and it may be too little too late, but that''s not an excuse for not trying.  "Not trying" is what got us into this mess in the first place, after all.

I cant believe some people are talking about promotion as if its a given. There are ten teams better than norwich in this league.

[quote user="Lenny-boy"]I cant believe some people are talking about promotion as if its a given. There are ten teams better than norwich in this league.[/quote]

I wouldn''t say ten, but certainly a few at the moment! Look at what Lee Clark is achieving at Huddersfield...

[quote user="Lenny-boy"]I cant believe some people are talking about promotion as if its a given. There are ten teams better than norwich in this league.[/quote]I don''t think people consider promotion to be a given only that it ought to be

[quote user="Lenny-boy"]I cant believe some people are talking about promotion as if its a given. There are ten teams better than norwich in this league.[/quote]Hard to say Lenny-boy, with so many new players at CR it may be too soon to know how good we really are.

Don''t forget that last season Exeter, Brentford and Wycombe were in League 2. We should be beating these teams if we are to have realistic ambition of promotion this season. Should we fail to win more than one against these three in our opening 4 games the promotion would seem unlikely.