Sign in to follow this  
ZLF

Starting Line up V Villa

Bearing in mind the results against Spurs I do not think that Worthy will make any changes to either personnel or formation. That said I think there are areas we could improve upon and so my team and subs would be..

Green

Helveg Flem Charlton Drury

McVeigh Safri Francis Bentley

Leon Hux

Subs
Gallagher, Holt, Jonson, Jarvis, Doc

Going back to 4-4-2 will counter Villas good wide men (Barry & Solano) but McVeigh and Bentley can both work the flanks well going forward. I stick with Bentley as a last chance to see if he can make an impact, if not it is time for a rest. Holt pays the price for doing a Jonson and struggling to meet the demands of the prem.

Eddie is replaced by Helveg purely on passing ability while Leon gets the chance his energy deserves.

On the bench Doc gives us options, Jarvis is in form and like Jonson has the potential and ability to change a game. Holt gets the last place on the bench as he can be utlitarian.

I feel this would give us the defensive shape needed against a good Villa side yet attacking ability across the park, with real options to change or sercure the game on the bench. Feel free to shoot me down!

OTBC

Yes I would put doc on the bench thereby giving us multi-cover, although he plays his heart out  he does look exactly what he is .... A defender playing up front as a forward !

Exactly the same starting line up as the spurs match,except the Worthy 1/2 time talk at ten to three instead of waiting for dodgy 1st half to finish!

I like this formation, so I''m going to post it again... - - - - - - - Green - - - - - - -Helveg - Doherty - Charlton - Drury - - Francis - Safri - McVeigh - - McKenzie - - - - - - - - - Huckerby - - - - - - Svensson - - - - - -

Gives us an attacking dimension that we need, plus some height in defence, but Hucks and Leon would need to do their fair share of defensive duties.

[quote]I like this formation, so I''m going to post it again... - - - - - - - Green - - - - - - -Helveg - Doherty - Charlton - Drury - - Francis - Safri - McVeigh - - McKenzie - - - - - - - - - Huckerby - - -...[/quote]

Wot no Flem ? Cor that would mean that both of the best defensive duo in last season''s 1st div......  GONE ! ! !  .. sniff.

I think we should go back to 4 4 2 because we need width against Solano and Barry so I would go with

Green

Helveg         Fleming                 Charlton       Drury

Jonson         Francis                 Safri            Bentley

Huckerby             Mckenzie

Subs

Ward

Edworthy

Mcveigh

Docherty

Holt

I think your formation could work bananaman but Sven looks very out of sorts and to break up the blossoming partnership of Flem and Charlts would seem premature.Also the biggest question would be getting hux to work back - against Villa I think this would leave us too exposed to solano and barry in wide positions feeding cole/angel...OTBC

Green

Edworthy/Fleming/Charlton/Drury

McVeigh/Holt/Francis/Brennan

McKenzie/Huckerby

subs

ward/helveg/safri/jonson/doherty

can''t understand anyone leaving fleming or edwirthy out.
mckenzie must start
holt still has the edge over safri for me
brennan (that''s jim ...not ivy or don - just in case we''ve forgotten his name!)

The formation is spot on bananaman, i''ve been calling for it for yonks. Although i would make some personnel changes as follows:

--------------Green---------------

Edworthy--Charlton--Fleming--Drury

--------Holt--Safri--Francis--------

--Bentley---------------Huckerby--

----------Leon/Doc/Sven-----------

Holt for McVeigh in the middle three as i think he can still do a job in breaking up opposition play and distributing effectively when he has the support of two other ball winners. Their job is simple - break up opposition play, win the ball and feed the wing forwards, Huckerby and Bentley, who have all the talent required to work the wings, run on goal and or feed the central striker.
I see no reason to break up Charlton/Fleming partnership.

Worthy did actually use this in pre season against Cambridge with Mcveigh for Huckerby who was injured and Sven up front. Obviously inferior opposition but we were two up in 2 minutes. The wing forwards came back to make a five man midfield when out of posession and Cambridge just could not get through it at all. I don''t remember Gallacher touching the ball at all! Until it was changed to 4-4-2 in the second half. I''m really excited by this and the fact that NW has already tried it means it is in his mind - i really think it could work, i just hope he''s prepared to try it.

Doubt Mattias ''Kiefer'' Jonson will feature in the starting 11 as he picked up a knock in training.

Incidentally, for his first month at Norwich he was only at Colney for five days due to international call-ups so that goes some way to explaining why it''s taking him a while to get going...

For all the inventiveness this board has for the lineup, I think NW will not change the lineup from last week.

Green

Edworthy
Charlton
Fleming
Drury

Safri

Holt
Francis

Bentley

Huckerby
Doherty

As to Villa''s wide men, as with against Spurs, Holt and Francis will drop back to cover. And besides, Spurs have good wide men -- Worthy would not have known that both Davies and Jackson were out of the starting lineup.

Bents will get another shot in the hole I think. But I think Helveg will start to get some more minutes.

It''s also almost definite that McVeigh and McKenzie will make it off the bench at some point and my guess is that Helveg will also get a chance.

I have to agree entirely with your comments NY, down to the likely substitutions - I started the link with the very comment that Worthy is unlikely to change the team - doesn''t mean that some tweaking couldnt make it better though.

However if you were to make a change what would it be?

OTBC

Green

Edworthy/Helveg        Fleming          Charlton          Drury 

McVeigh             Francis             Safri                Bentley

Leon          Huckerby

Subs:

Holt

Doc

Henderson(possibly subbed on for McVeigh under acceptable circumstances)

Svensson

Ward 

lol, i like this one: http://www.football365.com/fun_downloads/lookalikes/story_124343.shtml

Ok heres my formation.

---------------Green-------------
-edworthy-flem------Charlton-Drury
--------------Safri---------------
----Mcveigh---Francis-----Bently-
----------doc---------Huckerby

Again i would like to see Safri and Francis both start. Keeping the width with Bently/Huckerby and Mcveigh; im sure Drury and Edworthy will push foward anyway. Flem and charltons partnership just gets better and better so we cant change them. Doc doing his job upfront alongside huckerby. Francis of course cant be left out. And green......... no need to comment apart from maybe.......

GREENO FOR ENGLAND!!!!!!!

Zippers -- if I were to make a change, what would that be....

I guess I think of it in terms of priorities. One of the most important priorities to me is Bents in the hole. We need to give this one time to gel with the rest of the team. So many teams in the Prem would love to have this type of player to play in this type of role. If he''s in the hole, then it means that we need a midfield trio behind him. Only 3 possibilities for that: Holt, Safri, Francis; McVeigh, Safri, Francis; Helveg, Safri, Francis. I least like the McVeigh one -- leaves us too exposed. So one possible change is Helveg for Holt.

Helveg for Edworthy is irrelevant at this stage. Not significant change either way.

So, my two changes, if at all (I think I like it as is to be honest) is to swap Helveg in for Holt.

And finally, unless Doc is causing substantial problems for Villa, I would bring in Leon at half time and see what he can do for 45 minutes with Hux.

I''d say that 4-4-2 might be the best option with the width of villa.  i''d also want doherty in for his height because mellberg at corners is a really big threat. his corners goals won me my fantasy footie league last season

I''d go

Green

Edworthy(over helveg because he''s that bit quicker) fleming charlton drury

francis safri mcveigh and bentley on the flanks

doc and hucks up front.

bench of

leon, jarvis, holt, helveg and a keeper.

What do people feel we should get out of this game.  I think villa are very good side and would settle for a point.

This is the type of match we need to win. Villa are good but we are at home and we should win in a close match. A draw is ''acceptable'' but too many draws will get us relegated.

[quote]Green Edworthy/Fleming/Charlton/Drury McVeigh/Holt/Francis/Brennan McKenzie/Huckerby subs ward/helveg/safri/jonson/doherty can''t understand anyone leaving fleming or edwirthy out. mckenzie must ...[/quote]

only change i would make would be bentley in the midfield

I''d go for something a bit less orthodox...

Green

Edworthy   Fleming   Charlton   Drury

Safri

Francis                     Holt

Mackenzie

Docherty             Huckerby

With Ward, Jarvis, Helveg, McVeigh, Bentley

Leon''s pace getting into the box would benefit the attacks, whilst he has proved in his brief appearances that he''s not afraid to track back and defend if necessary... He doesn''t need to be flying into tackles, he can leave that to the midfield trio...

I''d be amazed if this is adopted as a starting line up, but it would certainly be interesting to see what result it would harvest...

NY - I agree that if Bentley is to play in the hole then it is essential we have a solid defensive trio sitting ehind him. McVeigh for all his hard work is too lightweight so the only question would be whether to move Helveg into that midfield group. However given his age and that he is not that mobile I would agree that we have to stick with the current trio.

Helveg v Eddie is swings and roundabouts - Helveg is assured, calculating and a good distributor of the ball but does not have the pace to support the attack, while Eddie defends well and has pace to get up and down the flank but is let down by poor distribution. As you say a toss of the coin between the two but if Eddie plays he has to get forward otherwise Helveg is the better option.

What is encouraging is that City could adopt a diamond formation (concerns about lack of width apart) as we now have options for the hardest part - who plays in the hole. I think that Bentley is the first choice, form permitting, but McVeigh, Jonson or even Leon could fill this role too. And in Mullers and Hendo we have 2 other hard working midfielders should Holt continue to struggle.

Interesting times and superb to be having discussions about real alternatives that could work for the team - a far cry from this time last season!

Bring the villans.

OTBC

We must have defensive cover on the width. We looked vulnerable every time against Spurs and while you can get away with it in the League, Drury and Eddie were left cruelly exposed at times. So I think its got to be 4-4-2 much as I wouldlove a more attacking format.

The first priority is to ensure we don''t concede (and we all know that only an inspired Greeno and the post were what kept Spurs out) and then we rely on Francis and Bentley or McVeigh to get forward to support the front two.

Some really interesting ideas on the formation front. Eddy has been immense this season. I for one thought that the signing of Helveg, and Eddy never really proving himself in the prem would spell the end for Mr Consistency. He has totally proved me wrong and has looked class at this level. I don''t think you can leave him out. Helveg might have the reputation, but Eddy has the form and the character, as he had to win his place back. The ball is in Helvegs court.

Also would really like to see Jarvis given ten minutes to create havoc against a WEAKENED Villa defense.

I disagree.

I think Eddy is one of our weak links.

Even though he is phenomenal as a defender, you need much, much more than that in this league. Even last season I got fed up of him punting it aimlessly down the line, and this season it''s a total waste.

I think he''s a brilliant example to the team about hard work, but we must get Helveg in and up to speed as soon as possible to add dimensions to our play.