Sign in to follow this  
StephenW

Back from the Exeter game

Back from the game. I think we were lucky to get a draw.

There was a lot of ugly hoofing and heading going on, and when we did

win the headers, they were mostly going straight to Exeter players. We

had a good start to the game but Exeter got in to their stride later in

the half. When the goal went in suddenly we stepped up a gear, but

changed down two as soon as it went to 1-1. It really did feel like

Exeter were on top from then on.

In midfield we couldn''t keep the ball, and defending we seemed

unwilling to close them down, we gave them the ball and let them have

too much time with it.

On today''s evidence, this season is going to be tough.

Stephen

Did the way the team play change at all from Tuesday/Saturday (not that its much to go one..) or for more comparison last season... i really believe that Norwich is run by Delia and not the manager, because since Worthy (even during his time) we have played the exact same type of game (not every game, but mostly)...

What is this???? A thread about a football match?! And one involving Norwich City at that?

Shame on you.

I want to only read posts about McNally, Hasselbaink or Delia in future please.

I''m back from the game also, and after watching the two matches here in the west, it seems to me that our main fault is that we don''t press the play when the opposition have the ball. ----- Too much space & too much time for the opposition.

I was also there today, along with 1600+ City fans.

I agree with the points about not closing down and pressing well enough in the second half (I feel it was there in the first half). My general take was this:

The team, which worked hard throughout and showed the better skills, also looked deflated at times. I can''t help feeling that the timing of the sacking could have cost City 2 points today.

As for the game itself, the defence looked reasonably solid and well organised by Doc (I can''t be 100% on that as my view of the other end was restricted). For me Askou was MoM for a solid defensive game and scoring the goal with a decisive header. Doc, Drury and Spillane all had solid games for what I could see except for the ''pressing'' issue in the final 1/3rd of the match.

Hoolahan was again the playmaker, and frightened Exeter into double-teaming him Huckerby style. Whaley had his moments (but perhaps not enough of them) as did Holt and Cody (who again smacked a blistering shot against the bar) but that aside there weren''t enough scoring chances.

Gill had a reasonable game in midfield against his old club without ever being dominant and Adeyemi had some decent touches but looked a bit tentative at times as well.

It was a game City could have won with better attacking, but also could have lost if Exeter had done the same - thus a draw was a fair result IMO.

[quote user="barclay seats 48 49 "]So you got home to Norwich from Exeter in 4 hours ???????????????????? F* ck me  what do you have ? an air ambulance ????[/quote]Do you think that, maybe, he doesn''t actually live in Norwich? Just a thought...

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="barclay seats 48 49 "]So you got home to Norwich from Exeter in 4 hours ???????????????????? F* ck me  what do you have ? an air ambulance ????[/quote]
Do you think that, maybe, he doesn''t actually live in Norwich? Just a thought...
[/quote]

Lol. There is another world outside Norwich and Norfolk you know.

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="barclay seats 48 49 "]So you got home to Norwich from Exeter in 4 hours ???????????????????? F* ck me  what do you have ? an air ambulance ????[/quote]
Do you think that, maybe, he doesn''t actually live in Norwich? Just a thought...
[/quote]

Lol. There is another world outside Norwich and Norfolk you know.

[/quote]

WHAT, you lie....

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]

I agree with the points about not closing down and pressing well enough in the second half (I feel it was there in the first half). My general take was this:

The team, which worked hard throughout and showed the better skills, also looked deflated at times. I can''t help feeling that the timing of the sacking could have cost City 2 points today.

As for the game itself, the defence looked reasonably solid and well organised by Doc (I can''t be 100% on that as my view of the other end was restricted). For me Askou was MoM for a solid defensive game and scoring the goal with a decisive header. Doc, Drury and Spillane all had solid games for what I could see except for the ''pressing'' issue in the final 1/3rd of the match.

Hoolahan was again the playmaker, and frightened Exeter into double-teaming him Huckerby style. Whaley had his moments (but perhaps not enough of them) as did Holt and Cody (who again smacked a blistering shot against the bar) but that aside there weren''t enough scoring chances.

Gill had a reasonable game in midfield against his old club without ever being dominant and Adeyemi had some decent touches but looked a bit tentative at times as well.

It was a game City could have won with better attacking, but also could have lost if Exeter had done the same - thus a draw was a fair result IMO.

[/quote]

I was at the game too - I''m sure their announcer said we had a thousand and fifty fans there out of the total crowd? 

"silly me .....was his name bristol canary ? He means he listened to it on the radio! Like a lot of the posters on here , who rarely go to a game ,so obvious when you read their posts . "

So unless your name is Bristol Canary you could not have been to todays game & now be back at home? Fool.

i think the word swindon may help. i was there too. long ball , nervous defending, terrible supply to the strikers. whaley was awful, wes indulgent as if he didnt trust his team mates and the midfield lacked creativity, in fact they were bypassed most of the time by the hoof. good sized crowd tho delia out morons created more negativity. most were quietly loyal and deflated. substitutions late and negative. someone has a big job to do.

[quote user="Bexley"][quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]

[/quote]

I was at the game too - I''m sure their announcer said we had a thousand and fifty fans there out of the total crowd? 

[/quote]

I heard the announcer say 1058 fans.  I am also sure that the long shot that smacked the bar was from Simon Whaley. 

Cody though missed a great chance after I thought he had beaten their keeper in the penalty area.  As other posters have stated we simply did not close the opposition down enough in the second half, which led to their equaliser.  

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Bexley"][quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I heard the announcer say 1058 fans.  I am also sure that the long shot that smacked the bar was from Simon Whaley. 

Cody though missed a great chance after I thought he had beaten their keeper in the penalty area.  As other posters have stated we simply did not close the opposition down enough in the second half, which led to their equaliser.  

[/quote]

Yes, it was definately Whaley who hit the bar, not MacDonald.

Barclay seats 48/49, whatever are you loike bor? Are you some sort of muppet? What have you got against people posting who only ''rarely'' attend games? (There are Norwich fans all over the world who post on here in case you didn''t know).

Just got back myself.I thought it was a fair result, first 60 mins I thought we shaded and created 2 massive chances in the first 20 minutes which Holt and Cody should have scored. We came close on 3 or 4 more occasions including Whaley hitting the bar just before the goal. After Exeter scored we were awful lost every 5050 ball and totally lost the midfield battle, subs should have been made quickly instead we defended our way to a draw in a game we could easily have lost.RatingsAlnwick 7- Solid had little to do, not at fault for the goal. Looks like the clear 1st choice available to us.Spillane 6- Solid in defence.Doc 7- Won everything in the air, Exeter played to his strengths, should have done better with 1st half chance.Askou - 7 Similar to Doc, apart from one incident where him and Doc ended falling each other. Scored.Drury- 7 Made some well timed tackles and clearences.Whaley 5- Really good strike but that was as good as it got, doesn''t look like he could beat a man to save his life.Adeyemi 5- I thought he was far too anon for a central midfielder his lack of influence on the game, nearly cost us. Should have been subbed for Tudor Jones earlier imo.Gill 6- Better than his central midfield counterpart, faded as the game went on. Won and used the ball well in the 1st half.Hoolohan 7- Most creative player on the pitch neat on the ball, key player. The more we get him the ball in this division the better.Holt 6- Tried hard and put himself about, didn''t win as many in the air as he maybe should have. Should have scored in the first 10 minutes.Mc Donald 5- While he didn''t shy away from working hard but had a poor game in my opinion. Missed an open goal, disappeared after equaliser should have been subbed earlier.Subs all come on too late to have an influence.

@Yelloow Since 72 - I''m not sure it was just the sacking that cost the points, but confidence is the key.After the goal it was like we were a different team, then after Exeter''s goal a different team again. For a few minutes I thought we were going to get a second and put them away. It was my first game of the season - was there a big change like that at Yeovil when we scored?The new manager needs to get the team playing with that confidence before they score, and it could make a big difference to our season.Stephen

Today must be the least I have seen posts or replies to a game.

Sounds like our defence was solid though. I thought, albeit listening to it on tinternet, thought that something should have been tried subs wise alot before we actually did.

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]

Today must be the least I have seen posts or replies to a game.

Sounds like our defence was solid though. I thought, albeit listening to it on tinternet, thought that something should have been tried subs wise alot before we actually did.

[/quote]It''s a long journey back, for some people anyway. I was able to go out for a meal in Exeter after the game and still get home for 8.My view of the defence was much better in the first half. They did make some good interceptions, Doc and Askou in particular. The time and space they allowed Exeter made for some very nervous viewing however, especially combined with the amount the ball was given away - my father said the Norwich players were colour blind. Fortunately Exeter did not make better use of what we gave them.Stephen

Got back at 11 last night and am at work today mulling things over. All in all it was a very surreal game yesterday. I arrived later than normally would have liked due to horrendous traffic on the M4 and M5, and the whole atmosphere just felt very subdued. This was the first game I have been to this season due to work commitments, so was the first time I had seen the new boys apart from on canaries world. I thought Whaley had a shocker of a game. He very rarely seemed willing to take on his man and Spillane seemed to have very little confidence in him. I thought Askou was pretty solid and was trying to motivate the rest alot more than the Doc. Cody had a very quiet game I thought. Hooly looked knackered second half, so in a way wasn''t suprised to see him taken off late in the game. There were quite a few boos form the Norwich fans when this occurred though. I thought Butterworth left it far too late with his substitutions. The fact that he didn''t bring all three on at once but sort of spread it out over 5 minutes, seemed to suggest he was maybe happy with a draw?

At the final whistle the players looked fairly gutted, and there was a low chorus of boos throughout the fans. Interestingly enough to the left of the Norwich fans as you were looking at them, two older guys were having  a proper slanging match. Each accusing the other of not showing enough passion because they had differing ways of supporting the team. Lots of effing and blinding etc. Wonder if Delia realises the fans are starting to get at each other as I''m sure I remember her saying at a recent shareholders meeting that she was sure that would never be the case.

All in all after getting up at 4.30am, leaving the house at 6am, not arriving at the ground til 2.30pm and not arriving home til 11pm, I have to say it wasn''t really worth it. Starting to get scared I''m losing my enthusiasm which is scary from a girl who has been counting down the days til the season started.

I was not talking about the people who went to the game; which I sallute, but the people who are normally behind the keyboards, some match days away are great with 1000''s of people on here, well nearly.

[quote user="Heffers Canary"]

Got back at 11 last night and am at work today mulling things over. All in all it was a very surreal game yesterday. I arrived later than normally would have liked due to horrendous traffic on the M4 and M5, and the whole atmosphere just felt very subdued. This was the first game I have been to this season due to work commitments, so was the first time I had seen the new boys apart from on canaries world. I thought Whaley had a shocker of a game. He very rarely seemed willing to take on his man and Spillane seemed to have very little confidence in him. I thought Askou was pretty solid and was trying to motivate the rest alot more than the Doc. Cody had a very quiet game I thought. Hooly looked knackered second half, so in a way wasn''t suprised to see him taken off late in the game. There were quite a few boos form the Norwich fans when this occurred though. I thought Butterworth left it far too late with his substitutions. The fact that he didn''t bring all three on at once but sort of spread it out over 5 minutes, seemed to suggest he was maybe happy with a draw?

At the final whistle the players looked fairly gutted, and there was a low chorus of boos throughout the fans. Interestingly enough to the left of the Norwich fans as you were looking at them, two older guys were having  a proper slanging match. Each accusing the other of not showing enough passion because they had differing ways of supporting the team. Lots of effing and blinding etc. Wonder if Delia realises the fans are starting to get at each other as I''m sure I remember her saying at a recent shareholders meeting that she was sure that would never be the case.

All in all after getting up at 4.30am, leaving the house at 6am, not arriving at the ground til 2.30pm and not arriving home til 11pm, I have to say it wasn''t really worth it. Starting to get scared I''m losing my enthusiasm which is scary from a girl who has been counting down the days til the season started.

[/quote]

Good post HC.

I couldn''t go yesterday but it is scary, that, only three games into the new season many of us are feeling exactly the same....