Sign in to follow this  
colneycanary

Has Steve Coppell already been lined up for next city boss?

After reading several rumours on here yesterday about Steve Coppell been seen at Colney over the last few days, I have been in two minds if I should post this or not!

So here goes, you can shoot me down all you like! I heard on friday about an hour after the sacking of Gunn that Steve Coppell is buying property in this area. I cannot say anymore information on this and I cannot say where it is or who I heard this from.

The one thing that did put doubt in my mind that this is true, is that David Mcnally said on Radio Norfolk that no-one has been lined up yet. I give you my full apologies if this turns out to be incorrect but after reading about the sightings of Coppell in this area, it makes you wonder.

One other thing i heard aswell is that training at Colney has been very poor and not up to scratch. This, and with the poor results on the pitch is why Gunn had to go.

Just posted on other thread re: Coppell. I can imagine us actually appealing to him when you consider his managerial history. He appears to welcome the challenge of improving underachieving clubs. He has also cited too much pressure when at more prominent clubs (eg, Man City - only stayed a month or two). Some rumours have mentioned him retiring next year, but again from what I recall he seems to always keep this as an option with one-year contracts, presumably in order to maintain little pressure on himself.His track record is exactly what we need right now and if there is a chance of him coming I would be stoked, for the first time in several years.

Totally agree about that. He''s never really been one for big clubs because of the pressure. Think this is one reason he could come here. I guess the only sticking point is will we have the money to offer him.

[quote user="Downloads"]Totally agree about that. He''s never really been one for big clubs because of the pressure. Think this is one reason he could come here. I guess the only sticking point is will we have the money to offer him.[/quote]

And there''d be no pressure on him to succeed here?

On this occasion we will have to make sure that we have the money to offer him, however we do it.

I live in hope as this could be the best thing to happen to the club for a decade and more. But seeing is believing!

I don''t think this rumour of Coppell being our next manager is as far fetched as some seem to think it is, I think he would jump at the chance of managing a club in the sticks far from the madding crowd, I also don''t think money would be his god as with most managers, he''s also a very loyal guy and wouldn''t leave at the first opportunity if someone came in for him. It would certainly excite me if he did come in especially if it was linked to new investment.

Whilst Coppell would be a fantastic appointment and there is no doubting his credentials, I would rather have someone at the helm that has plenty of years ahead of them rather than just a few.

Coppell still has plenty of years ahead of him, he''s only about 48. He may not want to work until he''s 70 but I''d have thought he''ll be around for a few years.

[quote user="Wings of a sparrow"]

[quote user="Downloads"]Totally agree about that. He''s never really been one for big clubs because of the pressure. Think this is one reason he could come here. I guess the only sticking point is will we have the money to offer him.[/quote]

And there''d be no pressure on him to succeed here?

[/quote]

For starters there are less fans getting on your back, he wouldn''t have much cash to spend either, he would probably only sign a one year deal so he can walk away, he is already at the bottom of the league, so can only do better.

I think there is a helluva lot less pressure taking over a League One club than there is a Premiership club who expects to succeed but knows that they can''t break the big 4, all you can do is hope for UEFA Cup places or get relegated.

He''s use to managing clubs like Reading and Palace etc. Hardly cast iron i know, just my 2 cents.

[quote user="ryan1992"]On SSN it said Malcolm Crosby could be in line for jobSuper Angry [8o|][/quote]

It was they who claimed Hasselbank was the new manager so I would take that rumour with a pinch of salt. Can''t for the life of me imagine how a relative unknown like Crosby would even enter into Mcnallys thinking.

[quote user="Downloads"]I thought he was mid 50s. Not that old at all - If i''m right[/quote]According to the ever reliable wiki, Mr Coppell was born on 9 July 1955, Making him 54.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]Hmm - Empty Mirror has not said that it is not Steve Coppell yet.  Or has he ?[/quote]Damn - he has, on another thread.Damn.

BBC look east''s Liggins seems to think we had a new manager lined up last friday, and is just tieing up looses ends. Looks like this could be true. It''s got to be Steve Coppell!