Sign in to follow this  
TheGoogler

So let's think this through.

He''s employed; so it''s not Coppell, Boothroyd or Strachan. He''s employed with "an English club" - so it''s not Hareide.Rotherham deny it''s Robins.Scunthorpe deny it''s Adkins. Tilson has ruled himself out.Assuming none of the above are telling porky pies, who exactly does that leave us with? Listening for clues, McNally spoke of "proven track record" -  so I''m guessing it must be someone who''s managed at this level before - and "punching above his weight". Iain Dowie. Currently assistant at Newcastle Utd. So in employment with an English club, and managed Crystal Palace who could have been said to be "punching above their weight". Ticks the boxes as he had experience at this level too with Oldham. Paul Ince? Manager at MK Dons. Proven pedigree here - but only just brought back to MK Dons - hardly going to leave again so quick, is he? And not exactly "punching above their weight", is he?Darren Ferguson? Peterborough''s manager and very much punching above their weight. But again, hardly a proven track record. Sean O''Driscoll at Doncaster could be another. Again, knows this division backwards - and is featured quite heavily on the other thread about division one promotions. Paul Tisdale at Exeter? Again, punching above their weight and proven track record - but not exactly in this league. Same could be said for Andy Scott at Brentford - who are very much punching above their weight, but hardly could be said to have a "proven track record".Anyone think of any other potentials?

[quote user="TheGoogler"]He''s employed; so it''s not Coppell, Boothroyd or Strachan. Tilson has ruled himself out.[/quote]Good post Googs but I am rather sceptical of your point about Tilson. All he said when asked was this:"Norwich is a big club, but I am enjoying my time where I am. We have

had a couple of promotions and fantastic cup runs," explained Tilson."We

have a new stadium hopefully on the horizon and this club has got a

good future. Once we get that stadium up and running we can go places.Now, if you were in talks with another club, would you jeopardise your position at your current club by saying that you were off? Say the move to the other club doesn''t come off. You''d have a lot of explaining to do. Thus, if Tilson is in talks with McNally, he''s hardly likely to say so just incase it doesn''t come off for whatever reason. [Y]

[quote user="TheGoogler"]He''s employed; so it''s not Coppell, Boothroyd or Strachan.

He''s employed with "an English club" - so it''s not Hareide.

Rotherham deny it''s Robins.

Scunthorpe deny it''s Adkins.

Tilson has ruled himself out.

Assuming none of the above are telling porky pies, who exactly does that leave us with? Listening for clues, McNally spoke of "proven track record" -  so I''m guessing it must be someone who''s managed at this level before - and "punching above his weight".

Iain Dowie. Currently assistant at Newcastle Utd. So in employment with an English club, and managed Crystal Palace who could have been said to be "punching above their weight". Ticks the boxes as he had experience at this level too with Oldham.

Paul Ince? Manager at MK Dons. Proven pedigree here - but only just brought back to MK Dons - hardly going to leave again so quick, is he? And not exactly "punching above their weight", is he?

Darren Ferguson? Peterborough''s manager and very much punching above their weight. But again, hardly a proven track record.

Sean O''Driscoll at Doncaster could be another. Again, knows this division backwards - and is featured quite heavily on the other thread about division one promotions.

Paul Tisdale at Exeter? Again, punching above their weight and proven track record - but not exactly in this league. Same could be said for Andy Scott at Brentford - who are very much punching above their weight, but hardly could be said to have a "proven track record".

Anyone think of any other potentials?
[/quote]

McNally said he was a manager of  another club so dowie would be out

Why would Adkins leave a Championship side and come to us? Same for Dowie (although he is only an assistant at Newcastle I guess), Ferguson and O''Driscoll. Can''t see that we can pay anymore in wages than these clubs (which is a sad reflection of our fortunes if that is the case).

[quote user="NCFC1"]

[quote user="TheGoogler"]He''s employed; so it''s not Coppell, Boothroyd or Strachan. He''s employed with "an English club" - so it''s not Hareide.Rotherham deny it''s Robins.Scunthorpe deny it''s Adkins. Tilson has ruled himself out.Assuming none of the above are telling porky pies, who exactly does that leave us with? Listening for clues, McNally spoke of "proven track record" -  so I''m guessing it must be someone who''s managed at this level before - and "punching above his weight". Iain Dowie. Currently assistant at Newcastle Utd. So in employment with an English club, and managed Crystal Palace who could have been said to be "punching above their weight". Ticks the boxes as he had experience at this level too with Oldham. Paul Ince? Manager at MK Dons. Proven pedigree here - but only just brought back to MK Dons - hardly going to leave again so quick, is he? And not exactly "punching above their weight", is he?Darren Ferguson? Peterborough''s manager and very much punching above their weight. But again, hardly a proven track record. Sean O''Driscoll at Doncaster could be another. Again, knows this division backwards - and is featured quite heavily on the other thread about division one promotions. Paul Tisdale at Exeter? Again, punching above their weight and proven track record - but not exactly in this league. Same could be said for Andy Scott at Brentford - who are very much punching above their weight, but hardly could be said to have a "proven track record".Anyone think of any other potentials?[/quote]

McNally said he was a manager of  another club so dowie would be out

[/quote]I thought he said he was "employed" at another club. Not manager.

I must have been typing my post at the same time as you googler!

Martin Allen and Sammy McIlroy fit the profile as do Tisdale, Buckle and one or two others...

My ''guess'' would be Tisdale. Back to back promotions, good coach and this is a step up, no one is dropping down a division and especially to a club with no money for signings. Tisdale has a record of doing a lot with a little. Just a hunch.

[quote user="TheGoogler"]Peter Taylor?
[/quote]

Was another name that cropped up on my list on possibles... I am praying that it is not a name that is on McNally & Co''s little list though!

[quote user="TheGoogler"]He''s employed; so it''s not Coppell, Boothroyd or Strachan.

He''s employed with "an English club" - so it''s not Hareide.

Rotherham deny it''s Robins.

Scunthorpe deny it''s Adkins.

Tilson has ruled himself out.

Assuming none of the above are telling porky pies, who exactly does that leave us with? Listening for clues, McNally spoke of "proven track record" -  so I''m guessing it must be someone who''s managed at this level before - and "punching above his weight".

Iain Dowie. Currently assistant at Newcastle Utd. So in employment with an English club, and managed Crystal Palace who could have been said to be "punching above their weight". Ticks the boxes as he had experience at this level too with Oldham.

Paul Ince? Manager at MK Dons. Proven pedigree here - but only just brought back to MK Dons - hardly going to leave again so quick, is he? And not exactly "punching above their weight", is he?

Darren Ferguson? Peterborough''s manager and very much punching above their weight. But again, hardly a proven track record.

Sean O''Driscoll at Doncaster could be another. Again, knows this division backwards - and is featured quite heavily on the other thread about division one promotions.

Paul Tisdale at Exeter? Again, punching above their weight and proven track record - but not exactly in this league. Same could be said for Andy Scott at Brentford - who are very much punching above their weight, but hardly could be said to have a "proven track record".

Anyone think of any other potentials?
[/quote]

Dowie isn''t at Newcastle anymore -he left at the end of last season with Shearer.

Just because all of these clubs are denying that it''s there manager doesnt really mean anything

I''d still say Adkins at the moment!

I largely agree, GJL - football is not exactly a bastion of honesty! But why the repeated denials? The normal course of action is to refuse to speculate. Why blatently lie?

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]lol joked earlier to hubby about ''''my god what if it''s Worthy''''  [:O][:D][/quote]I chortled for a second - then paused out of sheer fright. You might just be right!

[quote user="TheGoogler"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]lol joked earlier to hubby about ''''my god what if it''s Worthy''''  [:O][:D][/quote]I chortled for a second - then paused out of sheer fright. You might just be right![/quote]Wait! Employed by an English club! We''re safe!

[quote user="TheGoogler"][quote user="TheGoogler"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]lol joked earlier to hubby about ''''my god what if it''s Worthy''''  [:O][:D][/quote]

I chortled for a second - then paused out of sheer fright. You might just be right!
[/quote]

Wait! Employed by an English club! We''re safe!
[/quote]

But what if the English club was a red herring?

Well I hope it''s not Peter Taylor. I may be wrong but i cannot remember him ever being successful.

Perhaps someone can enlighten me.

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Well I hope it''s not Peter Taylor. I may be wrong but i cannot remember him ever being successful.

Perhaps someone can enlighten me.[/quote]

I thought that Peter Taylor won promotion last year, and had previously won promotions with the gills, Brighton and Hull??

[quote user="Paint Me Yellow"]

Why would Adkins leave a Championship side and come to us? Same for Dowie (although he is only an assistant at Newcastle I guess), Ferguson and O''Driscoll. Can''t see that we can pay anymore in wages than these clubs (which is a sad reflection of our fortunes if that is the case).

[/quote]

For money. We''ve get 5 x as many fans through the turnstiles every week than Scunthorpe. Throw in sponsership and sales of merchandise, we probably have a revenue stream about 7 x as big as Scunthorpe''s. Ergo, we can pay him 7 x as much as he''s getting at Scunthorpe. Would you move from your current job for 7 x your current salary? Even if it''s to a team in a lower division. Only an idiot wouldn''t!

[quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="TheGoogler"]Peter Taylor?
[/quote]

Was another name that cropped up on my list on possibles... I am praying that it is not a name that is on McNally & Co''s little list though!

[/quote]

Smudger, i''m interested - Who, realistically, would you be happy with?

Mark Robbins? This would please me as he done well last season (lifted Rothers to a respectable 14th place with a point deduction, they would have finished 1 point off the playoff''s) and have potential IMHO to do well at a higher level.

I just don''t understand why we haven''t heard that we''ve made an official approach for somebody. Surely if the new guy is employed we''d have had to go through the correct channels before speaking to him so surely the cat would have been let out of the bag no?

Punches above his weight?  SOunds like a boxing reference?  Iain Dowie looks like he has done a round or 2...

Mick Harford, seemed to get the best out of Chris Martin and considering Luton''s 30 point deduction he worked miracles. And he can certainly punch!

Up until the word that the target is currently employed, my money was on Alan Curbishley. The reason? I sat next to him at the third test match at Edgbaston and, as the Australian batsmen took a distinct liking to the English bowling, he kept saying "carnage, bedlam, mayhem". At the time I assumed he was talking about the cricket but, thinking about it, perhaps he was referring to the state of affairs at Carrow Road!

Where is Penney now manager and what about the former Stockport manager who got sacked not long after turning down the Brighton job? Not sure if he is employed now or not.