Sign in to follow this  
Fuglestad

While I'm here...Neil Adams and lower league ignorance.

Archant have been just as patronising, I think it was Lakey who summed up a summer "report" by stating there was nothing to look forward to next season in League 1.  Neil wound me up this week by happily admitting to knowing nothing about the players we are playing against. then moaning about having to visit "hell-holes". If I was a fan of a club like Exeter, I would have been bloody delighted when the mighty Norwich City were humbled by Colchester. Why are we so arrogant? We are league 1, can we please stop taking the p!ss out of the other clubs at our level. And, if i hear one more "expert" lazily ramble on about how we all have to play hoofball and fight because it''s lower league football I will quite possibly cry.

I wonder if the players thought the same last week. I find Adams patronising and annoying anyway, I don''t likelistening to him at all.

I was also annoyed by Neil Adams'' comments. If he doesn''t know anything about league 1 football then surely he should have spent some of his summer researching it. After all, that''s his job surely? Imagine if you had Motson or Lawro turning up to a game saying they didn''t know anything about the players? Sounds like Costa del Colney extends to the Radio Norfolk commentary team.

Chris Goreham annoys me more than Neil Adams. Comments like "that''s what you might call a League One clearance" are clearly patronising. I think the ignorance of league one football extends to Chris as well, so therefore any time something happens which fits the stereotype of the lower leagues he feels the need to "knowingly" comment on it.

Many of us would kill to be paid to talk a bout fooball for a living. It is not too much to ask for a bit of research is it? Its like Pleat on ITV being unable to prnounce the names of players. FFS its his job!

They''ll get over it in a few months. I remember when we came down from the Prem Neil Adams being particularly patronising about Stoke during a 3-1 defeat there (look where they are now) - which was followed by the infamous Barry "wus gorn on" call.I agree though, research should be part of the job and Adams especially often sounds like he''s done none.

[quote user="Alan_Grey"]Chris Goreham annoys me more than Neil Adams. Comments like "that''s what you might call a League One clearance" are clearly patronising.

I think the ignorance of league one football extends to Chris as well, so therefore any time something happens which fits the stereotype of the lower leagues he feels the need to "knowingly" comment on it.
[/quote]

Patronising they may be but all in all they''ve pretty much been spot on.  Would you rather they grovelled and scraped to the mighty League one sides?  Before any of you are disgusted enough to jump down my throat, yes, I am aware that we are now one of them, but just in case you have forgotten we haven''t been there for 50 years so why would Messrs Goreham and Adams be experts.  We may be down there at the moment but bar a handful of notable exceptions we''re not exactly the same.  Unless of course you''d like to compare Carrow Road with the mighty..... erm..... it''ll come to me in a minute...... wassat place Yeovil play ......

[quote user="Scooby"]

[quote user="Alan_Grey"]Chris Goreham annoys me more than Neil Adams. Comments like "that''s what you might call a League One clearance" are clearly patronising. I think the ignorance of league one football extends to Chris as well, so therefore any time something happens which fits the stereotype of the lower leagues he feels the need to "knowingly" comment on it.[/quote]

Patronising they may be but all in all they''ve pretty much been spot on.  Would you rather they grovelled and scraped to the mighty League one sides?  Before any of you are disgusted enough to jump down my throat, yes, I am aware that we are now one of them, but just in case you have forgotten we haven''t been there for 50 years so why would Messrs Goreham and Adams be experts.  We may be down there at the moment but bar a handful of notable exceptions we''re not exactly the same.  Unless of course you''d like to compare Carrow Road with the mighty..... erm..... it''ll come to me in a minute...... wassat place Yeovil play ......

[/quote]As others have said, I expect them to have done plenty of research on the opponents of the day, and of the league as a whole. I have a problem with those comments based on (possibly misguided) assumptions and stereotypes, which display lack of research through their sheer lack of specificity.

I hate the fact that Adams thinks he can get away with it by saying "no disrespect to ". Before promptly slagging them off.

I enjoy being arrogant as a Norwich fan. It hasn''t been the case for years. Even when we were promoted in 2004 i expected us to f**k it up at some point.

[quote user="Canaryfan7"]I enjoy being arrogant as a Norwich fan. It hasn''t been the case for years. Even when we were promoted in 2004 i expected us to f**k it up at some point.[/quote]We are well above this league and should remember and remind each other of that at every opportunity

Well Fuglestad, what exactly is there to look forward to visiting grounds in the third division? We shouldn''t be here and I, and many other fans sincerely hope it''s a brief stay. We are better than this and it''s got to be the aim of everyone at NCFC to get us out of this "hell hole" and fast, preferably in some kind of style.

Low league, low expectations (pardon me if I am arrogant, but NCFC used to be respected, now we are pitied or ridiculed) and before too long low attendances. That''s what we will be if we are here too long. Look at how Delia has played on being in the Championship - aka her old lapdog Doncaster and his frequent utterings of how we couldn''t possibly compete with the likes of Preston. Don''t fall for it and don''t let anyone lower your expectations.

If the club is going to get back to first the Championship (2nd Division) and ultimately the Premiership (1st) then we need tough decisions, quality players and most of all it seems a wise and experienced manager who can kick the arse of some of our players into performing in EVERY match and have pride, fight and enough skill to bag enough points so we don''t have to endure anymore than is necessary of this league.

I am glad Neil is as forthright as he is. If you prefer spin and pretty words and stories, then I suggest you sign up for the NCFC school of spin. Chris Lakey told it exactly how it was in his recent video report. More of the same please Chris.

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]Well Fuglestad, what exactly is there to look forward to visiting grounds in the third division? We shouldn''t be here and I, and many other fans sincerely hope it''s a brief stay. We are better than this and it''s got to be the aim of everyone at NCFC to get us out of this "hell hole" and fast, preferably in some kind of style. Low league, low expectations (pardon me if I am arrogant, but NCFC used to be respected, now we are pitied or ridiculed) and before too long low attendances. That''s what we will be if we are here too long. Look at how Delia has played on being in the Championship - aka her old lapdog Doncaster and his frequent utterings of how we couldn''t possibly compete with the likes of Preston. Don''t fall for it and don''t let anyone lower your expectations. If the club is going to get back to first the Championship (2nd Division) and ultimately the Premiership (1st) then we need tough decisions, quality players and most of all it seems a wise and experienced manager who can kick the arse of some of our players into performing in EVERY match and have pride, fight and enough skill to bag enough points so we don''t have to endure anymore than is necessary of this league. I am glad Neil is as forthright as he is. If you prefer spin and pretty words and stories, then I suggest you sign up for the NCFC school of spin. Chris Lakey told it exactly how it was in his recent video report. More of the same please Chris.[/quote]

Terracing at some away games for a start.

Going to grounds we''ve never been to before.

Meeting "real" football fans, who''ve had to "put up with" a hell of a lot more crap than us. 

The opportunity to be within heckling distance of Ken Bates.

Being able to throw as much verbal abuse at Franchise FC as humanly possible.

Being able to watch players, who are a bit different, less inclined to be 6ft athletes, more inclined to be funny little John Robertson types.

Unpredictabilty.

Singing at grounds.

Seeing how pissed off the Radio Norfolk and Archant boys are, at having to endure being paid to go to places, we happily pay to go to.

Neil Adams may be forthright fine. But ignorant, unprofessional, condescending and too lazy to do any research whatsoever, isn''t fine by me.

[quote user="Fuglestad"]

Archant have been just as patronising, I think it was Lakey who summed up a summer "report" by stating there was nothing to look forward to next season in League 1.  Neil wound me up this week by happily admitting to knowing nothing about the players we are playing against. then moaning about having to visit "hell-holes". If I was a fan of a club like Exeter, I would have been bloody delighted when the mighty Norwich City were humbled by Colchester. Why are we so arrogant? We are league 1, can we please stop taking the p!ss out of the other clubs at our level. And, if i hear one more "expert" lazily ramble on about how we all have to play hoofball and fight because it''s lower league football I will quite possibly cry.

[/quote]

I must admit I was also pretty shocked that he admitted to not knowing much about any of the players in LG1 and lower.....

Considering we are also in three cups that almost certainly involve us playing clubs from LG1 and LG2 at some stages its pretty poor.

He cant slate people for effort or workrate when he admits he hasnt put much of one in himself for his chosen career.........

How hard would it be to email/phone a few keen supporters at each club and get the skinny on various key players, some interesting facts, injuries at key positions ect ect ect.

It would only take 2-3 hours tops per club to compile a decent file on each.....

Fuglestad

Terracing - great, while I love terracing and have been on many (including almost all of the grounds we will be visiting this year) this alone certainly does not make up for the fact we are in this league. We could be going to grounds we hadn''t been to before in any division, considering how many new ones there are and of course it depends on how many each individual fan had already visited.

I have met plenty of real football fans over the years and will continue to do so, regardless of the league we are in.

Ken Bates, now that is clutching at straws to find a reason to love the third division

Players a bit different, do you mean ones with no talent whatsoever, well we have had enough experience of that recently, haven''t we?

Nothing concerning NCFC is ever predictable, except under Delia Smith decline on an ever decreasing scale.

Singing at grounds. Er. What kind or reason is that. There is singing at some grounds, less or more roughly depending on the strength of opposition and the state of the game at the time. I think you will find it hard to beat the singing at the San Siro/Cardiff play off final. Hello third division? More straw clutching.

Neil Adams is a whole lot better than we probably would otherwise have. Who would you prefer, someone from the NCFC school of spin? No thanks. I think he''s just about spot on with most of his opinion and thoughts regarding NCFC. I may not agree with all of it, but don''t have to.

So the benefits again of the third division are - better players, more money, better quality of football, a rapid change of status for the better for NCFC? No, none of these, therefore an unmitigated disaster for all concerned, and an event which could see the end of our club, if we overstay our welcome.

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]Fuglestad Terracing - great, while I love terracing and have been on many (including almost all of the grounds we will be visiting this year) this alone certainly does not make up for the fact we are in this league. We could be going to grounds we hadn''t been to before in any division, considering how many new ones there are and of course it depends on how many each individual fan had already visited. I have met plenty of real football fans over the years and will continue to do so, regardless of the league we are in. Ken Bates, now that is clutching at straws to find a reason to love the third division Players a bit different, do you mean ones with no talent whatsoever, well we have had enough experience of that recently, haven''t we? Nothing concerning NCFC is ever predictable, except under Delia Smith decline on an ever decreasing scale. Singing at grounds. Er. What kind or reason is that. There is singing at some grounds, less or more roughly depending on the strength of opposition and the state of the game at the time. I think you will find it hard to beat the singing at the San Siro/Cardiff play off final. Hello third division? More straw clutching. Neil Adams is a whole lot better than we probably would otherwise have. Who would you prefer, someone from the NCFC school of spin? No thanks. I think he''s just about spot on with most of his opinion and thoughts regarding NCFC. I may not agree with all of it, but don''t have to. So the benefits again of the third division are - better players, more money, better quality of football, a rapid change of status for the better for NCFC? No, none of these, therefore an unmitigated disaster for all concerned, and an event which could see the end of our club, if we overstay our welcome.[/quote]

They are my reasons. I may be odd. I like smaller, older grounds, and I generally prefer the atmosphere at such places. Just an opinion. I think the Archant article I refer to was unbalanced, ill-informed sh!te, to fill up the page.

"No talent whatsoever" - idiotic, ridiculous opinion.

"quality of football" - generally the players in League 1 will naturally be of lower quality. However, in terms of entertainment, I find lower league games much more interesting then watching the Premiership. .

Back to Neil Adams...if he doesn''t know anything about the players or teams in this division, he should not be on the radio talking about it. Imagine ITV (or whoever) lose their Formula 1 coverage, and then cover the Indycar 500 or whatever. They would expect their "experts" to be knowledgable on the subject or they''d get in somebody who was.

I cannot see how you can make a case for Neil Adams defence. He is a radio "expert" who happily admitted on air that he knew nothing about the subject. There are plenty of people who do.

I would prefer somebody who doesn''t work for the club, and knows a bit about the teams we''re playing.