Sign in to follow this  
Myra Hawtree

The "Delia Out" Campaign

[quote user="Myra Hawtree"]

I resent being accused of not knowing who Geoffrey Watling and Gordon Bennett are after being a supporter of the Club for 55 years!!  You have to take the rough with the smooth and so many of today''s supporters have been spoiled over recent years and don''t know what it''s like to be struggling in the lower leagues!!  Perhaps we have gone backwards 50 years but all clubs have their good times and bad times.  Look at Burnley and all the years they have struggled in the lower leagues after being a great Club in the 60s but they are now in the Prem.  Everything comes to those who wait.   I just cannot understand why people seem to blame Delia for everything that has happened?  She is just one member of the Board and can be out-voted?  I cannot believe any decisions have been made by her alone.  I stick to my opinion that the vociferous few and those who regularly post on this board are in the minority wanting "Delia Out".  Most posters on here (except for me) are of the younger generation I think and it''s the older fans who do not have this hatred of Delia.

PS - Unfortunately cannot play netball now as have had a hip replacement!!!!

[/quote]

Myra, for goodness sake take the blinkers off.

The fans of this club are finally coming to their senses in realising that the club just cannot go any further under her control. She has taken us to the top tier but failed with HER fellow board members to keep us there (too much prudence and not enough ambition) has now let us drop to our lowest level for 50 years, good old Delia eh?

I resent being accused of not knowing who Geoffrey Watling and Gordon Bennett are after being a supporter of the Club for 55 years!!  You have to take the rough with the smooth and so many of today''s supporters have been spoiled over recent years and don''t know what it''s like to be struggling in the lower leagues!!  Perhaps we have gone backwards 50 years but all clubs have their good times and bad times.  Look at Burnley and all the years they have struggled in the lower leagues after being a great Club in the 60s but they are now in the Prem.  Everything comes to those who wait.   I just cannot understand why people seem to blame Delia for everything that has happened?  She is just one member of the Board and can be out-voted?  I cannot believe any decisions have been made by her alone.  I stick to my opinion that the vociferous few and those who regularly post on this board are in the minority wanting "Delia Out".  Most posters on here (except for me) are of the younger generation I think and it''s the older fans who do not have this hatred of Delia.

[/quote]

Too the contary Myra, I think you''ll find that a lot of the posters on here who want Delia out are over 45, me included , thats also goes for the people who sit around me at the footy who are also all well over 45.

She owns the club so she has to take the large part of responsibilty for all the mistakes the board have made over the years, including Grant, Roeder and Gunn and two relegations in 4 years.

I see there was a letter in the EEN tonight having a go at you on a different subject so you''re not doing too well with your views at the moment are you?

Having a hip replacement should be no bar to your netball career love.

Perhaps that''s the answer as to why none of our wingers since Huckerby have been able to either run or cross a ball.... they were all behind you in the queue.

Old Delia is unfortunately much like her books, past her best and long overdue to be replaced by bright young recipe cards.

Thanks to Delia our team can''t beat an egg let alone Exeter City

Myra, if you have been a supporter for over 55 years, then surely, you more than most can see the extent of the decline under Delia. Both on and off the field.

Take the rough with the smooth eh? So despite all the money since Delia came onto the board, all those transfers, all those land deals, all those sell out crowds and shirt sales we are further still into debt. How many years have we actually made a profit, but descended further in our league status? How much has been wasted on paying off failing managers or buying up failing players'' contracts?

Everything comes to those who wait? Yes, further relegation and/or administration I should think bearing in mind the state of the current finances. Wait for what exactly? The chance that we may just happen to appoint a half credible manager? Buy players we have actually watched playing in a league match?

As for the decision making of the board. Who do you suppose appointed Bryan Gunn? No it''s Delia. Look at her attitude towards the past few managers. Didn''t want to get rid of Hamilton, or Worthington, or Roeder and as for Gunn. She and Michael hold 60% of the shares and have had a majority shareholding for years. Even that though is not reason enough. Reason enough Myra is the decline of our club and Delia''s attitude towards finding investment.

So those who want Delia to go are in the minority? Those who shout about it maybe. But you would get that in almost any ''protest'' or campaign you care to name. Minority who want her out? Sorry Myra, but you should talk to those outside your normal circle of friends. Just because there are not thousands protesting outside the ground does not mean there are not thousands who want her gone. Recent evidence, take a look at the percentage of season ticket holders who claimed their rebate. Were those people happy with how the club is being run?

I think you will find though that the age range on here is young to old. I have met more than a few of the regular posters on here and I hope they won''t mind if I say they are mostly of the more mature variety.

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]Myra, if you have been a supporter for over 55 years, then surely, you more than most can see the extent of the decline under Delia. Both on and off the field. Take the rough with the smooth eh? So despite all the money since Delia came onto the board, all those transfers, all those land deals, all those sell out crowds and shirt sales we are further still into debt. How many years have we actually made a profit, but descended further in our league status? How much has been wasted on paying off failing managers or buying up failing players'' contracts? Everything comes to those who wait? Yes, further relegation and/or administration I should think bearing in mind the state of the current finances. Wait for what exactly? The chance that we may just happen to appoint a half credible manager? Buy players we have actually watched playing in a league match? As for the decision making of the board. Who do you suppose appointed Bryan Gunn? No it''s Delia. Look at her attitude towards the past few managers. Didn''t want to get rid of Hamilton, or Worthington, or Roeder and as for Gunn. She and Michael hold 60% of the shares and have had a majority shareholding for years. Even that though is not reason enough. Reason enough Myra is the decline of our club and Delia''s attitude towards finding investment. So those who want Delia to go are in the minority? Those who shout about it maybe. But you would get that in almost any ''protest'' or campaign you care to name. Minority who want her out? Sorry Myra, but you should talk to those outside your normal circle of friends. Just because there are not thousands protesting outside the ground does not mean there are not thousands who want her gone. Recent evidence, take a look at the percentage of season ticket holders who claimed their rebate. Were those people happy with how the club is being run? I think you will find though that the age range on here is young to old. I have met more than a few of the regular posters on here and I hope they won''t mind if I say they are mostly of the more mature variety.[/quote]

Fully agree GazzaTG

Good post and sums up the situation well.

A lot of us are long by the revolutionary stage of life, but would really like to see something of our once great club left for further generations to enjoy and admire.

History is great but you need a future to look back on it from!

The devios duo could still back away gracefully with some semblence of thanks even now,but if they hang on to power for much longer then I am sure things will start getting worse for them from an ever increasing disaffected fans.

[quote user="Myra Hawtree"]You have to take the rough with the smooth and so many of today''s supporters have been spoiled over recent years and don''t know what it''s like to be struggling in the lower leagues!![/quote]

Spoiled???

A Premiership attendance and yet Premiership 1 year out of the last 10? (Something like that anyway)

My God if that''s being spoilt, i''d hate to see us being starved.

Those who shout about wanting Delia to go certainly are in the minority Gazza as are those who constantly sing her praises. The majority are somewhere between the two as always.

I just read through this thread and the same tired old arguments. "Delia saved the club" "No she didn''t Watling did" Just what are they supposed to have saved it from? Our club is now at the lowest point it''s been for over 50 years do we need saving now? If so who''s going to do it? So many questions but does anyone have answers?

It''s a football club but there''s little mention of football on this thread. It''s all about personalities and that''s where we are now. Myra sounds like a Delia fan although she''s probably just a football fan like me. To me it''s like Myra see''s only the good things in Delia where as many of you others see only the bad. The same thing happened with Worthy a few years ago. The focus moved away from football and everything he did was criticised and made out to be wrong. In the end I agreed Worthy''s time was up, not because I thought he wasn''t up to the job, but because just by being manager he was contributing to a poisonous atmosphere which was dragging the club down. He was past his sell by date I guess but I had and still have huge respect for him and what he achieved. Worthy left a squad good enough to make the play offs and far better than he inherited. He may even have made the playoffs in the season he was sacked, who knows? But I am sure in my own mind we would have done better with him than we did without him. However the poisonous atmosphere dictated he should go and so he did.

Likewise we are now there with Smith & Jones. The poisonous atmosphere is dictating they go and I am asking myself if the club can be succesful again whilst they are associated with it. A lot of posters say their entire tenure has been one of failure. To me this is just as ridiculous as those who used to say Worthy was the worst manager we ever had. All I say to people is get real! When Robert Chase walked out the door we had just finished 16th in the Second Division. We didn''t slip that low again for 10 years and during those 10 years we had a Play Off Final and a Championship. There must have been good decisions along the way for that to have happened so where did it all go wrong? That''s another question I have no answer to.

The sacking of Worthy was the start of three years of footballing decline that has put us where we are right now. Poor decision after poor decision from the boardroom during those three years. So what changed? I don''t have an answer to that either. Doncaster had been there since 2001, Munby longer still, so it couldn''t have all been down to them. Maybe football changed and Smith & Jones didn''t change with it. I have had the same job for over 20 years and the only reason it has continually worked out for me is through changing focus to ever changing conditions. Worthy''s last real criticism of the board was that they needed to be proactive rather than reactive. That as much as anything probably explains the decline since our promotion to the Premiership in 2004. It''s ironic that now it appears we have people on the board making proactive decisions it''s could be too late to save those who appointed them.

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]Myra, if you have been a supporter for over 55 years, then surely, you more than most can see the extent of the decline under Delia. Both on and off the field. Take the rough with the smooth eh? So despite all the money since Delia came onto the board, all those transfers, all those land deals, all those sell out crowds and shirt sales we are further still into debt. How many years have we actually made a profit, but descended further in our league status? How much has been wasted on paying off failing managers or buying up failing players'' contracts? Everything comes to those who wait? Yes, further relegation and/or administration I should think bearing in mind the state of the current finances. Wait for what exactly? The chance that we may just happen to appoint a half credible manager? Buy players we have actually watched playing in a league match? As for the decision making of the board. Who do you suppose appointed Bryan Gunn? No it''s Delia. Look at her attitude towards the past few managers. Didn''t want to get rid of Hamilton, or Worthington, or Roeder and as for Gunn. She and Michael hold 60% of the shares and have had a majority shareholding for years. Even that though is not reason enough. Reason enough Myra is the decline of our club and Delia''s attitude towards finding investment. So those who want Delia to go are in the minority? Those who shout about it maybe. But you would get that in almost any ''protest'' or campaign you care to name. Minority who want her out? Sorry Myra, but you should talk to those outside your normal circle of friends. Just because there are not thousands protesting outside the ground does not mean there are not thousands who want her gone. Recent evidence, take a look at the percentage of season ticket holders who claimed their rebate. Were those people happy with how the club is being run? I think you will find though that the age range on here is young to old. I have met more than a few of the regular posters on here and I hope they won''t mind if I say they are mostly of the more mature variety.[/quote]

Especially that BUTLER, he''s ancient Myra... [;)]

Still think the majority want Delia here Myra, even the local papers and their columnists want her gone.

[quote user="cityangel"]

[quote user="Myra Hawtree"]Well I don''t know who you associate with to come to the conclusion that Delia is so unpopular as that would not be the view of the supporters that I know - and I do know quite a lot! [/quote]

If you took a vote amongst the 24,000 fans I think you''d find that she''d be unpopular with a majority of people. Our club is a shambles at the moment and its Delia  who has got us into this mess by appointing Grant, Roeder and then Gunn. She''s also put prudence before ambition, refused to price the club reasonably and won''t let any investors in if it means losing her majority share.

I''d stick to talking about netball if I was you Myra [:)]

P.S. Who do you blame for the mess the club is in??

[/quote]

Good post cityangel.

The guilt lies with the Stowmarket Two.

[quote user="cityangel"]Still think the majority want Delia here Myra, even the local papers and their columnists want her gone.[/quote]cityangel, I live too far away from Norfolk to get the local papers. When you say they "want her gone" do you mean there have been leading articles/editorials in the EDP or Evening News calling on her to quit the board? That would be significant if so. Or are you just referring to the various columnists who''ve said this? Thanks, PC.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="cityangel"]Still think the majority want Delia here Myra, even the local papers and their columnists want her gone.[/quote]

cityangel, I live too far away from Norfolk to get the local papers. When you say they "want her gone" do you mean there have been leading articles/editorials in the EDP or Evening News calling on her to quit the board? That would be significant if so. Or are you just referring to the various columnists who''ve said this? Thanks, PC.[/quote]

Have a look at this thread '''' Have the local press turned'''' Hers the link http://www.pinkun.com/cs_pinkun/cs/forums/1816446/ShowPost.aspx

[quote user="cityangel"]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="cityangel"]Still think the majority want Delia here Myra, even the local papers and their columnists want her gone.[/quote]cityangel, I live too far away from Norfolk to get the local papers. When you say they "want her gone" do you mean there have been leading articles/editorials in the EDP or Evening News calling on her to quit the board? That would be significant if so. Or are you just referring to the various columnists who''ve said this? Thanks, PC.[/quote]

Have a look at this thread '''' Have the local press turned'''' Hers the link http://www.pinkun.com/cs_pinkun/cs/forums/1816446/ShowPost.aspx

[/quote]Thanks, cityangel. I had seen that. It seems as if what people are talking about there are the views of the anti-Delia columnists. And columnists are meant to be controversial.The point I was trying to establish was whether Archant''s editorial policy was now that Delia should step down, which would be a highly significant move. But that does not appear to be the case. And it''s important to differentiate between what columnists say and what a paper says through its editor in the leading articles. It''s the latter that matters.

The trouble is I think that there are more than two sides to this arguement, it appears that because I for one will not risk administration, which could cause us irreperable harm It makes me a Delia fan or a happy clapper or whatever other title you feel fits. I just feel some people are very naive in there Delia out arguments as they provide no sensible alternative.This is a terrible time in our history, they''ve taken us backwards many years and I''d really like to see them leave but they can only go by selling out there really is no alternative.If you want to start a lets force Delia to sell lobby I''m right with you

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Those who shout about wanting Delia to go certainly are in the minority Gazza [/quote]

Please provide the evidence to support this statement.

[/quote]

OK Tangie..... Those who shout wanting Delia to go[:''(] Where are they[:^)] Where are they[:^)][:^)] LET''S BE ''AVIN'' ''EM[:#]

Over 1800 fans at Brentford on Tuesday, maybe 50 shouted for Delia to go. The majority would have had to have been 20 times more than that. So there''s my evidence to support my statement now all I need is your evidence to refute it. I suggest you get your carcass down to Archant Towers at 2pm on Saturday and get me photographic evidence of the 10,000 plus fans marching to the ground[:O]

A little point that may interest you is that I would estimate there to have been ten times more fans singing "Delias Barmy Army" at the portaloo after our defeat last season than shouted for her to go on Tuesday night. Oh, and I was there on both occasions but chanted at neither.

shes a cook she has no clue on running a football club .if i jumped in a plane and decided to fly it ..it would crash im not a pilot ..!!! .

if delia had not put her money in to the club i bet someone else would have .. lets face it shes has taken this club a long way ..downwards ..!!!

[quote user="singing canary"]shes a cook she has no clue on running a football club .if i jumped in a plane and decided to fly it ..it would crash im not a pilot ..!!! . if delia had not put her money in to the club i bet someone else would have .. lets face it shes has taken this club a long way ..downwards ..!!![/quote]

The late great Geoffrey Watlings fault then. Just as I suspected all the time [;)]

I note that this campaign is on-going despite the new season and all that has happened with the changes on the Board (and now manager).  I cannot understand what "fans" have against Delia?  She came in with money to save the Club and I''m sure is now happy to take a back seat and let others on the Board do the work.  Obviously she was involved with the managerial appointments but not on her own.  The vitriol seems completely unwarrented.  So what if Delia does decide to resign from the Board?  She could call in her loans and where would that leave the Club?  In administration or worse.  It''s just like the "Sack the Board" brigade.  So, the Board is sacked, then what?  Someone has to run the Club.  Hopefully the new Board members will do this to enable the Club to get back to the Championship at least.

[/quote]

Brilliant wind up ''Myra Hawtree''.  ''I note that this campaign is ongoing.......''  Love it.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Those who shout about wanting Delia to go certainly are in the minority Gazza [/quote]

[/quote]

OK Tangie..... Those who shout wanting Delia to go[:''(] Where are they[:^)] Where are they[:^)][:^)] LET''S BE ''AVIN'' ''EM[:#]

Over 1800 fans at Brentford on Tuesday, maybe 50 shouted for Delia to go. The majority would have had to have been 20 times more than that. So there''s my evidence to support my statement now all I need is your evidence to refute it. I suggest you get your carcass down to Archant Towers at 2pm on Saturday and get me photographic evidence of the 10,000 plus fans marching to the ground[:O]

A little point that may interest you is that I would estimate there to have been ten times more fans singing "Delias Barmy Army" at the portaloo after our defeat last season than shouted for her to go on Tuesday night. Oh, and I was there on both occasions but chanted at neither.

[/quote]

The vast majority of people are going to feel uncomfortable singing "F**k off Delia" nutty.  Even i did, but i joined in because it was the only available way to get the point across at the time.  Of the 15 or so others i knew at the game (we had plenty of time to chew the fat on the 7-hour train trip back...) no-one else joined in yet all bar two or three want her gone.  One thing which was quite telling to me was that there was not a murmer of dissent from other supporters where i was (On the terrace, just to the left behind the goal).

[/quote]

If you know all about Watling and Bennett, why write nonsense like "Delia saved the club" then?  Is it a deliberate lie, or have you been brainwashed?

I would suggest that both Delia and Watling both played their part in assisting our Club in its hour of need. I would also throw another opinion into the debate. Namely that Delia and Watling shared a number of traits, not least a genuine love for the Club, and a belief (maybe sentimental/romantic) than the Club could be a caring community club. I never met Mr Watling, but I feel he would of sympathised with Mr Cobbold''s comment to Bobby Robson once upon a time....''If we win we will open a bottle of champagne....if we loose we will open TWO. Good on you Myra!

[quote user="Myra Hawtree"]Well I don''t know who you associate with to come to the conclusion that Delia is so unpopular as that would not be the view of the supporters that I know - and I do know quite a lot! [/quote]What planet are you from, because I assure you it is not earth.You are a freak and an Alien.This club is an absolute laughing stock amongst the rest of the country. This is all due to one person and its not the previous 3 managers!Wake up you complete idiot!

It''s pretty obvious that Delia doesn''t know how to run a football club herself.  There was a time before all the money got out of hand that there was a place for enthusiastic amatuers who genuinely support a club.  This time seems to have gone.  Mistakes have obviously been made,as we wouldn''t be in this shocking mess,but to try to blame it all on one person is simply unfair.  OK Worthy was kept on too long, but I can at least understand trying to give the bloke who gave us success a chance to put things right.  I could see the point in the Grant appointment.  Supporters were moaning that we''d had a manager who didn''t seem to show emotion and played his cards too close to his chest and so we got one that was the opposite.  He had an excellent reputation as a coach and is now on the bench at Celtic.  After a year he joined the rest of us in working out that he just wasn''t cut out to be a manager in his own right.  We all shouted that we needed a manger with experience to sort out the mess.  At that point Roeder was appointed and noone can say that he didn''t do well at first.  I really thought we were doomed that first season so it was such a huge disappointment when it all unravelled..  Although both appointments ended up poor, you couldn''t really have foreseen what happened when they were made.

When Bryan was originally appointed it was on a wave of sentiment from the first game in charge.  I was really surprised that he was gven the job full time but saw the sense in building around people who know the club and could put things right.  (When was the last time we appointed someone from outside the club who was actually a success?).  I think that everyone saw how badly things unravelled during that fateful first match when Bryan just didn''t seem to know what to do.  I''m just really glad that things were done quickly.

My interpretation of what happened in the summer off the pitch is that Delia realised that she really needed someone far more hardheaded and football-wise than her to run things (!!!) and I''m sure we all hope that Mr NcNally is just that person. 

Getting rid of Delia in itself would not solve all our problems.  New owners, like new managers and new players tend to come in on a wave of optimism and often (certainly at Norwich!) end up as a huge disappointment.  I just hope that we can all put all this bickering to one side for a few months so that the atmosphere around the place improves so that the new manager can gets half a chance to do his stuff.

Dronny Canary

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The vast majority of people are going to feel uncomfortable singing "F**k off Delia" nutty.  Even i did, but i joined in because it was the only available way to get the point across at the time.  Of the 15 or so others i knew at the game (we had plenty of time to chew the fat on the 7-hour train trip back...) no-one else joined in yet all bar two or three want her gone.  One thing which was quite telling to me was that there was not a murmer of dissent from other supporters where i was (On the terrace, just to the left behind the goal).

[/quote]

Indeed Mr Carrow. But as my post said "Those who shout about wanting Delia to go certainly are in the minority Gazza as are those who constantly sing her praises. The majority are somewhere between the two as always." Now Tangie, for reasons best known to him, asked me for evidence to support only the first part of that statement. I have given him that evidence and you have, to my amazement and gratitude, backed me up. I must have been standing close to you on the terrace to the left of the goal. (I''m seriously thinking about putting "nutty" on the back of my shirt so people can talk to me[:O] ) And there was no real dissent to the isolated few who chanted but to be fair, there was no dissent at the Portaloo to the "Delias Barmy Army" chants either. Just the usual witch hunt on here afterwards.

Over to you Tangie for your evidence for the prosection. I suggest you don''t call Mr Carrow [;)]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="cityangel"]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="cityangel"]Still think the majority want Delia here Myra, even the local papers and their columnists want her gone.[/quote]

cityangel, I live too far away from Norfolk to get the local papers. When you say they "want her gone" do you mean there have been leading articles/editorials in the EDP or Evening News calling on her to quit the board? That would be significant if so. Or are you just referring to the various columnists who''ve said this? Thanks, PC.[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks, cityangel. I had seen that. It seems as if what people are talking about there are the views of the anti-Delia columnists. And columnists are meant to be controversial.

The point I was trying to establish was whether Archant''s editorial policy was now that Delia should step down, which would be a highly significant move. But that does not appear to be the case. And it''s important to differentiate between what columnists say and what a paper says through its editor in the leading articles. It''s the latter that matters.[/quote]

Archant are NEVER going to front a Delia out campaign.  Never, ever.  It''s fine to let the back of the paper lads do their thing safely in the obscurity of the sports pages and it looks very good re Stephan''s appointment.  Free press and all that.

But start one? No, never, ever.  They might piggy back in if someone else started it.  But originate it?

Nope, never, ever.

I agree with all of that cam

It seems they are letting the small fry make it look like they are impartial but its just a token gesture. In no way would Stephens allow a full ''delia out'' campaign imo.