Sign in to follow this  
Dame to Blame

Forward line worries me.

Just got back from the villa game and i have to say our forward line worries me the dock looks awful to be honest and with the the diamond system we play this just seems to push hucks wider and all we seem to do is hump it up to the dock who then proceeds to either lose control , pass to to an opposing player or commit a foul.I think we should have took a gamble and brought a recognized striker before the window closed , not a makeshift one this may work in the fizzy championship but not in the premier.

NW stated on several occasions that he didn''t buy the Doc to play up front, only as another option up top if needed however since Man U he has played almost every minute there and has by the whole been rubbish. What does Leon need to do to get more than the customary 15/20 minutes. I am becoming increasingly worried at NW''s negative tactics, today, when the onus should have been to press Villa and look for three points the formation was the same containing one we saw last week.

Sort it out NW.

Minor point I know but the so called experts predicted WBA CP and us to go straight back down- 18 games between us so far and no win, the only 3 winless teams in the Prem!

totally agrre with all the above.

only thing i can''t understand is why can''t leon be given a half at least.whenever he has come on he has looked really sharp and the whole team looks so much more livelier.

paul mcveigh also looked good today when he came on.

all in all though i think a point today was well earned.

after all,villa are a team reckoned to finish in the top 8.

god knows why though after their performance today

hucksfiz

doherty needs support! he''s not a goal scorer and doesn''t get any support from huckerby. this is why mckenzie must play. today doherty did hold the ball up and win headers well which is great but he had no one to give the ball to! this is the problem. we need to play the same formation as we to towards the end of last year at home otherwise we will not score goals.

we had no width today because of the diamond which is fine away but isn''t at home. we need to be the ones pressing for a win, not playing for a draw.

Quite frankly we must be the only Premier side who are playing a centre half as a centre forward.  Yes Doherty can hold the ball up but he is not a striker.  If I was one of the other forwards at the club I would start wondering what I need to do if a centre half keeps me out of the starting line up.  Start with McKenzie and drop Holt from the midfield would seem a logical solution.  It must give the opposition a boost when they see we are playing with only one striker.  McVeigh is worth a start and why not give Jarvis or Henderson a run out.  Worthy has several options but seems reluctant to take any of them.  Perhaps our proper strikers might get a game on Tue against Bristol Rovers.

Doherty had a few headers at goal, that i could have saved. I really think he should just stay as a defender, i cant see many signs of him being a striker. Doherty cannot do everything himself, as he often has too as he is the only one around, I think McKenzie should start up front. He can hold up the ball, battle defends, produce good little lay offs and have a few good shots on goal. If Svensson improved his game a bit he would also be a good choice, we just need to see some signs that he can do something

We need some support for Hucks when he makes his runs ..... he can , and does , rip through defences ..... but where is the support ? we need at least two players  with quick enough reactions to follow  him as he makes these runs .... this will divert  the defence !!

I`m against the diamond formation ...... in fact I`m against ANY  set formation !! .....  its predictable ...... and predictability  nullifies creativity !! ..........   the one man that , at the mo ,creates fear in the opposition ,is Hucks ......  Doc and Bentley  , to my mind ,  should be his support ! Doc , in particular,  strikes me  as full of heart and determination .....

Yes why not use the 4-3-3 formation at home like we did so successfully at the end of the last season?And throw in Matt Svensson again, he hasn''t been badder than Doherty. So give him a chance again!

[quote]Just got back from the villa game and i have to say our forward line worries me the dock looks awful to be honest and with the the diamond system we play this just seems to push hucks wider and all we...[/quote]

What bloody forward line?. Take Hucks out of the equation, and its non existent!.

If you don''t score in football, you''re dead, let alone the premiership. Its simple logic captain!.

The board should have released more money to Nigel, for a striker before the deadline. Its their fault entirely.

When you have a big lump up front, and Doherty is a big lump, its just too tempting for them and Nigel to just thump it up front to him. this they did yesterday with great relish, and guess what?, 90%, yes 90% of these futile balls came straight back, or went to a Villa player.

Oh, my head hurts again!.

I  get the idea that nigel is playing at damage limitation, we will not lose. mentality..he says we go out to win every game.. well if it is damage limitation he is playing.then we certainly won''t dam well win many either

1st wiz Hux didnt perform yesterday (everyone is allowed an off day) and as a result we never really looked like scoring.  Doc clearly is not the answer and is playing no better than Sven, but he does seem to put his all into the role - it just not enough.  With the players at the squad that only leaves Leon and Jarvis to try with hux.  Our best chances were through our midfield players, Holt in the first half, Francis in the second and Bentley with some speculative long range efforts.  Neither Hux nor Doc looked liked they could have score against villa if they had still been playing today.

As the papers said it was a dour game - roll on a reserve match against the pirates and then mighty anfield.

OTBC