Sign in to follow this  
Brum Uni Canary

Today's performances...

Went to the match today....Safri really stood out in the first half. He had great ball control and didn''t give a pass away once. Unfortunately he was let down by that late tackle which earned him a card. He could become a good regular if he just learns to control his discipline. Thats already 3 yellows I think, so a ban is looking a certain prospect in the coming weeks!

Holt, by contrast had a shocker of a first half, but improved in the second and the game went on. The formation and use of players across the middle still isn''t working effectively, and there appeared to be a similar problem up front. Doc didn''t have a very good game and the front two were always too far apart and stretched to be useful.

Why can''t Bentley go up front and Huckerby drop back? I know Hucks hates running back, but he just seems to stay out on the left side and wait for balls to run into the box. My final point is Leon: 15mins wasn''t enough to prove himself properly, but if Docherty keeps playing as he did today, then another forward should be given the opportunity to start.

got to disagree safri was poor, not sure what he does, his passing was weak(I saw him give it away numerous times) and he doesn''t win the ball.  I think only francis of the midfield can hold his head high.

doherty can''t do it all by himself. huckerby doesn''t play as a striker so every team has 2 defenders to mark 1 player. the fact is that he is not going to score many goals with the formation we are playing. if hucks went to the left with mckenzie upfront with doc then he will coz he has support. a bit like last year with svensson really. we scored so many goals with that and we need to score and win at home. the diamond is good away but not at home.

i don''t think that we did really well today but to not be at our best and still get a point against villa is pretty good. at the moment our defence looks the most solid part of the team which was quite different from the start of the season. this is good news. now if we can score, we will win-therefore mckenzie must start! please!!!

Amazing - 24,000 people saw 24,000 different games. I saw Safri play very well, within limits. When he received the ball he assessed the situation very quickly and passed (usually) purposefully, simply and accurately. He has enough skill to get free of opposition players to give him space to make the pass. I''d like to see him be a little more adventurous, but I think that''ll come.

I thought Holt played better this time. His game is really as a spoiler - niggling at the opposition all the while, never giving up. He''s not a creative player, but his is a valid role if you''ve got a defensive game-plan.

I thought Doherty played well, in the second half at least. He''s winning more balls in the air than Robbo did in the his last couple of seasons. The trouble is, there''s no-one around to receive the flick-ons, and we don''t have wingers making the crosses for him to have headers on goal (although Jonson made a good cross from the right, and I''d start him next time). He''s whole-hearted, and I like him. But he''s not a striker, and that''s our main problem: we don''t have an out-and-out striker except for McKenzie, and he''s a bit raw at the moment. When Hux has an off-day (like yesterday), who''s gonna get the goals? Not Bentley seemingly - he was dismal in the first half, and only slightly better in the second. Based on yesterday''s game, he''s the most expendable of the lot.

BUT - our defence is mighty. Charlton and Flem - I wouldn''t swap them for anyone. I didn''t see them lose a header in the box, and I loved seeing Flem (almost!) match Vassell for speed - though he was a bit lucky not to get a card for the subsequent tackle! Edworthy gets better and better, and we all know how good Drury is.

I came to yesterday''s game expecting Aston Villa to be a quality side. But after 20 minutes or so it was obvious that they are no better than a good Division One team and were there for the taking.What a shame then that Worthy was so negative in his tactics and team selection. Four defenders, three defensive midfielders, and a centre half up front. Leaving only Hucks & Bentley as our only real creative attacking players. Fine in away games when a point is a good result, but not at home.Like many others, I am realising that last years players really are good enough to match and beat Premier league teams. Edworthy has won his place back and is looking just fine. McVeigh should now oust Bentley. McKenzie should replace Doherty.Worthy needs to show some faith in the players that got him promoted.

I''m glad somebody agrees with me old boy. I must stress, I was really only referring to his first half performance as the second was poor. When McVeigh came on he injected pace into the midfield and was running back as well as supporting the attacks.

Maybe the way each person views a player''s game depends on where they sit!

I want to add that I thought Fleming was superb yesterday. I''ve been a bit critical of the way he''s been caught out of position in previous games. But against Villa yesterday he was rock solid. My perspective of yesterday''s match was from the exposed end of the Jarrold Stand next to the infill building site. We got utterly soaked in the rain - which makes a change from the opening day when I got sun burnt. Hope they get that infill finished sharpish. It looks good too.

Canaries4ever - Safri was booked for a horrendously late tackle/trip with the ref standing quite close. There was no shoulder barge involved, just a foot but it did look worse than some of the late tackles committed in other games that were shown on MotD.

Flem and Charlton are always brilliant. As for Steady Eddy - man of the match for me by a long way.

I agree with whoever said Villa we''re no more than an above average Division One side, I thought Palace played better to be honest and we played negatively like we were away from home.

We''re going to have to start taking risks or we''re going to draw ourselves back into Division 1. Huck''s aint no centre forward, he needs to play behind a front two. Bentley was poor yesterday but I still think he''s probably the only person we''ve got who can crack it in from 25 yards.

Green

Eddy / Charlton / Flem / Drury

Safri / Holt / Francis

Huckerby

Doc / McKenzie

Maybe bring Mulryne in for Holt or Safri to add some extra depth to the team. If McKenzie doesn''t perform with Doc then try Bentley up front.

I think one things for sure though, the way we played yesterday needs changing

Little to add other than hear hear. If anything the diamond formation has meant more hoofed balls up front with less passing and movement.Will worthy abandon a target man - cant see it myself - but its got to be the solution longer term.Better passing from midfield wit two mobile front men is the future.

OTBC