Sign in to follow this  
Camuldonum

A view from the Colchester end

Freak result.  The fact that this was your worst home defeat and Colchester''s biggest ever away victory in the Football League neatly sums it up I think.  And while all the dissection at Norwich and celebrations at Col Who? will be unabated has to be viewed like that.

Anyone who thinks this means Colchester will storm the league or that Norwich are obvious candidates for League Two clearly hasn''t been following football for very long, some of them probably those who think performance in pre-season friendlies are an indicator of how a League campaign will go.

It looked to me that, despite the experience of Butters, you have not yet worked out how to play League One.  You are not the first to make this mistake and you won''t be the last but you will have to learn quickly.  Last season Leicester City had a very shaky start for precisely that reason and it took them until a wonderful run in the Autumn to realise they had cracked it and I would argue that they probably had a stronger team than either of us currently.

You started well, I thought, but you never really came at us at 100 miles an hour.  We were cutting out "obvious" passes quite easily and when we realised that, for whatever reason, that was all you were going to do we shifted up into top.  Your big problem, seen from this end, is that you did not play to space and virtually everything you sent forward became a 50-50 ball.

We then got lucky with some dreadful defending (although you still have to put them away).  Leaving aside your defending - which I suspect is going to be the one off I think it is - you were also beaten by three very good goals from distance and those are the goals I am most pleased with.  I have previously mentioned the importance of set pieces in this League and perhaps you can now see that they count.  You need to be organised against them and I am sure that the lessons will be learned.

My own view (I know you don''t like him) was that once we signed Lisbie I thought we were in with a chance at least of a draw (which is what I was personally hoping for).  You are mostly not great fans of Platt either (and neither are many U''s fans although I am not one of them) but when they were together today it was a great combination for us as it has been in the past.

Lisbie had you for pace I thought but you will have to cope with that from other teams as well: Millwall for starters, the whole line can break at astonishing speed and they are one of the teams I fear in this League.

So 7-1 a silly result in my opinion.  I don''t expect either of us to repeat that scoreline for or against for the rest of this season and possibly not for many years  but that''s football and why it is addictive and picks us up and throws us down, laughing all the while.

Three-one on the quality goals I would say.  Yours was a mistake our end but well taken, looks a useful lad.  I thought Hoolahan had an excellent game for you and is always a worry for any team when on the ball.

Your keeper had a bit of a mare ''tis true but that''s we keepers do.  Williams had plenty of mares in the pre season games but played well today I thought.  I thought your keeper had little chance with the well struck distance shots - class goals those and the others would probably not have happened on another day.

I wouldn''t have put Gillingham down for whacking five past Swindon but there you are................54th season of supporting the hapless U''s and I still had to go and lie down in a darkened room (bit like Lincoln going 4-0 up v Rochdale in 13 minutes a few years ago - I kept refreshing the screen before being assisted away from it).

I am pretty sure it won''t be like that for either of us on Tuesday.  Chin up.

Fair post Cam but I think you''re being kind to us. Definitely agree with your comments about us not playing to space and simply putting up 50-50''s all the time.

Norwich were there own worst enemy today. It wouldn''t of mattered who we played. I didn''t think Colchester played that partically well, even though the score line suggests this. We just had a very bad day at the office, couldn''t defend to save our lives and our keeper, if you can call him a goalkeeper was the worst goalkeeping performance i have ever seen in my life. Out of all the goals, the only good one (the rest were gifts by our defenders and keeper) was the volley that flew in.

[quote user="Paint Me Yellow"]

Sorry Cam but we really were just crap. Theres no getting away from it.

[/quote]

No you just made stupid mistakes.  We did three quality distance strikes (my opinion)  -  without the "mare" bit I think 3-1 would have been a decent result for us. 

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="Paint Me Yellow"]

[/quote]

No you just made stupid mistakes.  We did three quality distance strikes (my opinion)  -  without the "mare" bit I think 3-1 would have been a decent result for us. 

[/quote]No, sorry Cam, but we really were crap. You don''t suffer the biggest home defeat in over 100 years of history because of a few stupid mistakes.

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="Paint Me Yellow"]

[/quote]

[/quote]I think Keith Webb had it summed up on radio Norfolk, amongst other things he said gunn set out the wrong tactics holt and martin up front are too similar, we have big strong guys but no pace and we have to win the right to play football before we try to do it.

[quote user="colneycanary"]Norwich were there own worst enemy today. It wouldn''t of mattered who we played. I didn''t think Colchester played that partically well, even though the score line suggests this. We just had a very bad day at the office, couldn''t defend to save our lives and our keeper, if you can call him a goalkeeper was the worst goalkeeping performance i have ever seen in my life. Out of all the goals, the only good one (the rest were gifts by our defenders and keeper) was the volley that flew in.
[/quote]

Three of those goals were not gifts - they were well struck goals (this end) and beat the keeper fair and square which is what I am happy about.  No blunders by Theo in those I think.  Hammond, Fox and Perkins - Fox awesome in training, putting them in either corner apparently at will.

I believe we deserved those three goals and that you gifted us the others.

So 3-1 not 7-1.

The worrying thing is this team does not appear be to in any way shape of conform to the make up of the other League 1 teams i.e teams that play breakaway football with blistering pace. Docherty and Nelson are like lambs to the slaughter and this result I fear will not be an anomanly.

I think that is a fair assessment Cam.

I also think the most sensible analysis from the NCFC point of view was Keith Webb. Absolutely spot on in all he said...... I never thought i would say that!!

Sorry Cam but you are wrong and were obviously not at the game today. Out of all your goals scored, only 1 of them was a good, genuine goal. The rest were gifts from our pathetic keeper and shocking poor defending. We could of played Wroxham today and they would of beaten us too by a similar scoreline!

Why? Colchester are never going to win the league. We caused the mistakes that led to the goals ourselves and not by Colchester playing well. Colchester will finish mid table at best!

[quote user="foggo7"][quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="Paint Me Yellow"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think Keith Webb had it summed up on radio Norfolk, amongst other things he said gunn set out the wrong tactics holt and martin up front are too similar, we have big strong guys but no pace and we have to win the right to play football before we try to do it.
[/quote]

Well, it is all a matter of opinion of course.  I thought we had your defenders beaten for pace - Lisbie left dear old Doc for dead a number of times - but, see, even the 6ft 4" Human Tree was up there with him, apparently a slow useless lump.

I thought where you went wrong was telegraphing most of your forward passes in this game.  I still think you will do okay for the season. 

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

Three of those goals were not gifts - they were well struck goals (this end) and beat the keeper fair and square which is what I am happy about.  No blunders by Theo in those I think.  Hammond, Fox and Perkins - Fox awesome in training, putting them in either corner apparently at will.

[/quote]Fox''s free-kick was nowhere near the corner from where I was sitting... seeing the replay on SSN hasn''t changed my mind either. Did Hammond even score?

Goal 1---Goal keeping error after poor back pass from semmy. Result simple tap in.

Goal 2---Goal keeping error weak shot which keeper parryed into platts path. Result simple tap in.

Goal 3---Defence failed to deal with a simple cross,which left Platt to score from 6 yards. Couldn''t miss

Goal 4--Keeper. Very bad positioning from freekick.

Goal 5---Defence& Keeper. Failed to deal with a long throw, for a simple header in.

Goal 6---Good volley and good goal!

Goal 7---Keeper caught in no mans land yet again.

The Keeper and defence had a real shocking game. Like i said, we would of lost against Wroxham by a similar score today!

I thought we had three well struck goals - blame who you like - and four were defending errors.  But you still have to put those errors away.

Hopefully you will do that when errors present themselves to you as they undoubtedly will.

Your goal came from a Pat Baldwin error which Cody duly despatched.

That''s the idea![:)]