Sign in to follow this  
Hackney Canary

Before we go too crazy...

...we might do well to remember what happened in the balmy season of 92/93. If anyone''s forgotten, Gunny can remind them: he was in goal the day we shipped seven to Blackburn Rovers. At the end of that season we didn''t fall apart, the club didn''t die, we didn''t even get relegated. In fact, we finished third and qualified for Europe. Now, I know a lot of things have changed since then - we''re no longer in the Premiership, for a start - but what hasn''t changed is the fact that a single result does not dictate the outcome of a season. Today was a shambles, a complete embarrassment. I felt sick as I sat there watching it all unfold, but - please - let''s not commit collective suicide over it. These things happen in football. The good teams, roll their sleeves up and put what was wrong, right. The bad teams just roll over. Let''s have a little patience and see which team we are, because I don''t think we can honestly say we know just yet.

Yeah, but it was against a Blackburn side that later went on to win the Premier League, it was away from home and we were in the top division of football in the whole of Europe.Today we lost to Colchester United, at home, on the first game of the season in Division 3.

im not sure what to make of it to be honest .. cant stop thinking about it lets hope the players are doing the same .. im still trying to work out what went wrong ..??

I did say that a lot had changed! The substantive point remains the same: good teams (and that team were unquestionably a good team) can have s**t days at the office. (And I''m not saying we are a good team, by the way, I''m saying we don''t know...)

I was at that game too. We didn''t deserve by that margin and Shearer was in his top referee baiting form.

Believe me we played well that day but today??!!

Which has what has been happening for the past 2 or 3 years -

incidentally, while your being optimistic I''d like to point out that we

are the bad team in your quote. The other thing I''d like to point out

is that Lisbie, Theo, The doc (wazzock), the ball, the fans, the media,

in fact almost everybody was not aware of what happened in the balmy

start of the 92 season - or if we were we hopefully were concentrating

on the matter at hand. WINNING OUR FIRST GAME IN THE LOWEST LEAGUE

WE''VE BEEN IN FOR 50 YEARS.The thing about football matches,

seasons and even footballs and footballers is that the game they are

playing in DOES NOT HAVE MEMORY ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED IN THE

PAST........................IT BEARS NO RELATION WHATSOEVER.

The

real trick is play now, play to win, don''t think you''re better than

anyone else.............................................EARN YOUR

VICTORY AND YOUR POINTS.

AND DON''T LIVE IN THE PAST.

and do us all a favour ''ackney - we can''t quote your posts as you have an apostrophe in it -  annoying

Even Kenny Dalgleish admitted that the scoreline was a travesty in terms of the difference between the two teams. Can the same be said about today?

[quote user="crafty canary"]Even Kenny Dalgleish admitted that the scoreline was a travesty in terms of the difference between the two teams. Can the same be said about today?[/quote]

Not really, I felt Colchester would score every time if they hit the target with that useless aussie tit in goal.

[quote user="crafty canary"]Even Kenny Dalgleish admitted that the scoreline was a travesty in terms of the difference between the two teams. Can the same be said about today?[/quote]

Yes I think so. 3-1 to us although Super Kev did skin dear old Doc once or twice as I fancied he might[;)].

Today was the most embarrassing display I''ve seen from a NCFC team, but surely if we can beat Premiership Wigan who had their team out and were trying to win the game the week before then we can do much better than we did today!

[quote user="''Ackney Canary"]...we might do well to remember what happened in the balmy season of 92/93. If anyone''s forgotten, Gunny can remind them: he was in goal the day we shipped seven to Blackburn Rovers. At the end of that season we didn''t fall apart, the club didn''t die, we didn''t even get relegated. In fact, we finished third and qualified for Europe. Now, I know a lot of things have changed since then - we''re no longer in the Premiership, for a start - but what hasn''t changed is the fact that a single result does not dictate the outcome of a season. Today was a shambles, a complete embarrassment. I felt sick as I sat there watching it all unfold, but - please - let''s not commit collective suicide over it. These things happen in football. The good teams, roll their sleeves up and put what was wrong, right. The bad teams

better team, better squad,better manager and  against blackburn!

No need to live in the past - your point is valid - one game does not totally destroy a season

Did we finish 3rd in that season, losing to Blackburn and at one stage were top with a negative goal difference

I''m amazed, after watching the Wigan game I was quite impressed - the balance looked good and more importantly the defence, allowing that Wigan were a class outfit looked reasonably solid

How on earth could things change in 7 days -I''ve been searching for one detailed analysis of what could have made the difference -all I can find in player slagging, from the goalkeeper to the strikers -please give me some technical insight into the where we failed - the radio report clearly relayed a that a 10 goal defeat might easily have occurred.

The players on the field could not have become useless overnight so was it the formation and the tactics that differed from the Wigan game

We have been told we have strength in depth so changing the players is easy - but if the set up and formation is not organised to contain and beat the opposition then we might as well be playing netball

That would be criticising the coaching and management staff and yes they cannot come out of this result with any credit

My fear has always been that if you assemble a reg bag squad quickly without the proper time to form and gel you will be overturned by lesser organised teams.

1 The only options are to spend more time on the training ground with the squad

2 Sign more loan plyers - the money must have run out

3 Give Gunn and his team a maximum of 10 games ( until today would have been half a season)

4 Decide if we are fighting againsr relegation or at best a play off spot