Sign in to follow this  
Peter Gates

Why the Doc plays regularly

Nigel plays the Doc because we need some height in the team from deadball situations, think about what might happen when we play teams with a real height presence, Bolton for instance.Whilst the Doc plays up front it gives us a problem because however manfully he tries City have no real striking potential.Perhaps the Doc needs to fit in the back four to counteract the height argument, but who to leave out? a real dilemma, could we play with 3 centre backs and wing backs?, sorry I don''t know, but the Doc will play until we get some height in the team until then we will struggle to ask questions up front.Leon and DH to play up front tonight, lets see if they can play together, only Bristol Rovers, but lets try something.

Yep, time to try something different up front. Either Doc isn''t holding the ball up very well (wins first ball, but not second) or the players around him aren''t reading his game very well. Whatever, it isn''t quite working very well.

I do find it a little odd and slightly amusing that we (City) go on about playing the ball, but then seem to rely on a big man upfront to win it for us. I''ve always thought we looked better, and had more success when we actually play it on the floor... in which case Leon at 5''11 is no short-arse, but possibly a striker who''s got a better idea where the goal is....

Ama, I feel the same. For years Norwich have been playing pretty football and them lumping the ball for quick but tiny players all too frequently. Eadie, Fleck, McVeigh, Huckerby, Robins etc. It always infuriates me and never gets us anywhere. The Doc is a legend, but he is not the answer in attack. I too want to see the ball on the floor (keep it low! It''s not just an idle lyric!!!).

Great logic. A central defender who creates danger at deadball situations. Somebody called Malky Mackay scored against Ipswich on Saturday. I wonder where he came from? Docherty may well be a very talented central defender. If so let''s play him there. Worthy says he is playing him upfront just to get him in the team. Why does the same logic not apply to Helveg? McKenzie is the best option we have got for striker. If he wasn''t considered up to it we ought to have bought Crouch or Harewood.