Sign in to follow this  
Scooby

Just when you thought it was safe to go back to Carrow Road.

It is 4 O''clock in the morning and I have just awakened from an awful nightmare only to find that it is in fact reality.  I have really just witnessed the most awful spineless capitulation ever seen at Carrow Road. A mind numbing debacle that puts the previous competitive no show at Charlton Athletic firmly to shame, and I do mean shame because that is how I, and many others by the sound of it, feel right now.  Deeply ashamed!  Never have I ever witnessed such a performance by a team (and I use that word loosely) wearing the yellow and green of our beloved football club. Perhaps they should beforced to wear the all white away strip for every match until they have earned the right to don the colours once more.  At least the oposition would know that we are waving the white flag in front of our goal.

Yes, we really have just conceded SEVEN goals, in one match, at home, in front of a sell out crowd.  Not, as you may have thought, against the mighty Manchester United in the premier League, nor Liverpool or Arsenal.  No, against that massive club from Essex, Colchester United, whose previous claim to fame is that they once won an FA Cup tie against a first division side.  The ignominy of it all!

There are three things that MUST happen straight away, immediately, without fail.

No.1 although it grieves me to say it, Bryan Gunn must resign.  He has no excuse.  It is his team (see above), he built it, the buck stops with him.  He is to blame for the most shameful day in the clubs history, not Roeder or Grant, their players have long gone.  He should attempt to salvage any respect and reputation he has left and leave.

No.2 Theoklitis should never again play for Norwich city. Woeful is not a strong enough word to describe his ineptitude. It is a great shame that the lad has had to move lock stock and barrel to England to find that he cannot crack it in the big time that is League 1 football.  Whoever it was that told him he could, and subsequently brought him over here, should apologise to him in person and pay his air fare home.

N0.3 Gary Doherty should be stripped of the captaincy and consider himself lucky to ever be selected again. You have to lead from the front! If you have neither the courage or, at the very least, the necessary skills to do so then you should not be given the job.

That done it leaves the club with one massive mountain to climb and begs the question "where do we go from here?"  It is way too late to start another rebuild, for another manager to come in and build his own team.  That leaves us two options, Butterworth or Crook?  You choose.  It has to be whichever one that can rebuild the shattered confidence of the football club, both fans and players.  As for those players, you have to ask if they are really up to the task.  Aside from the aforementioned duo you would have to hope so judging from pre-season performances.  The defence must be overhauled. Askou must come in alongside one of the youngsters Dumic or Stephens (let''s face it, they cannot do a worse job than Doherty/Nelson) unless, of course Sefanovic can be begged to stay. Spillane for Otsemobor seems logical too with perhaps a youngster at left back until Wiggins is fit.  The midfield was toothless and unimaginitive.  In should come Adeyemi, Hughes (although he is still an unknown quantity) and McVeigh with only Hoolahan reatining his spot.  The strikers are, in my opinion, blameless as they were given no service and therefore no chance.  Grant Holt did what he was brought in to do, bar score.  He chased and harried after a long lost cause and won many aerial battles and Martin fared no worse.  McDonald must start however as there is still no substitute for raw pace and the boy can finish the slightest chance.

As for the board?  What can you do?  It has been overhauled, they have chosen their man, albeit mistakenly, and backed him in his plan. Have they failed or has he?

Perhaps I have now got a little of the hurt out of my system and maybe now I can sleep.  I would hope that those who have caused my nightmare have had little sleep themselves.  They have many many wrongs to put right, not least the sleepless nights, abuse from friends and colleagues, and the tears of some of their youngest fans.  There are thousands of us out here, many of whom watched your shame at close quarters and felt it ourselves.  We pay our hard earned cash to come and watch you play.  I hope you read this!

I bid you all a very good night.

Great post Scooby. As for Crook, he should be sent back on the same plane as Theo , he has never really made it as a high level coach (Australian football is light years behind, their sport is Aussie rules footy) and was appointed based on his conections to the club. Butterworth is the only one with experience in this league and should be the interim commander in chief until an experienced manager is bought in.

But Butterworth and Crook, in the same vein as McLaren at England under Sven (and Duffy under Grant for that matter) are as equally culpable in the coaching and selection of the team that ran out yesterday.

Therefore, neither should remain in the post if Gunn goes.

Agree with every single point Scooby, just wish the right players had been picked in the first place.

Only point i would disagree with is the manager - Tilson or Boothroyd and pay them the money they deserve.

Fantastic post.

As for "the board - have they failed or has he?" the answer is that both of them have but the board most of all. 

In my view Gunn was almost certain to get the job permanently when he took over in January.  They probably gave him an undertaking (and we know they gave Crook an 18 month contract), and he spent the last 19 games of the season knowing that his job wasn''t under threat no matter what happened. 

Even now he''s acting a bit like a man who thinks he''s unsackable, and that''s part of the problem. 

SACK HIM NOW!

The other player who must never be allowed near a football pitch again is Otsemobor. He is the antithesis of Doherty, but the end result is the same. Doherty is consistently not quite good enough, Otsemobor can look like a Prem. player in one game, then do something utterly bizarre the next - & it often costs us the game. I think that back-pass ( ?? ) yesterday destroyed any fragile self-confidence that the previous games had built up.Delia must go. She has a vision of a Christian, caring, community football club, which is nice. Unfortunately this is incompatible with a successful football team.

[quote user="Downloads"]

Agree with every single point Scooby, just wish the right players had been picked in the first place.

Only point i would disagree with is the manager - Tilson or Boothroyd and pay them the money they deserve.

[/quote]

The only problem I can see with that my friend is financial.  Do we have the money to a/ bring them to the club and b/ buy the players that they would want to bring in?  I think not. I think we''re going to have to try and sort out the players we now have. How we are going to rebuild their shattered confidence is beyond me.  Perhaps we should aquire the services of Paul McKenna?

Agree apart form the butterworth / crook for manager angle. We need to wipe this clean and start yet another rebuild from scratch.The difference this time? The board cannot gamble the rebuild yet again. The board need to appoint someone with proven ability and experience before this club sinks even lower than whats already unbelievable. The future of the club is at stake here, this is no joke, 50 years of standards set by our canary forefathers are being dragged through the gutter by our this utterly clueless odd job bunch of sentiment led muppets.

Please McNally, lead this bunch of idiots, they don''t have a clue what they are doing!!!

[quote user=" Baldrick"]Scooby, its a pity that the players didn''t have the same passion as your post[/quote]

Thank you Baldrick, but I''m sure I''m only saying what most of us feel.

[quote user="Scooby"]

It is 4 O''clock in the morning and I have just awakened from an awful nightmare only to find that it is in fact reality.  I have really just witnessed the most awful spineless capitulation ever seen at Carrow Road. A mind numbing debacle that puts the previous competitive no show at Charlton Athletic firmly to shame, and I do mean shame because that is how I, and many others by the sound of it, feel right now.  Deeply ashamed!  Never have I ever witnessed such a performance by a team (and I use that word loosely) wearing the yellow and green of our beloved football club. Perhaps they should beforced to wear the all white away strip for every match until they have earned the right to don the colours once more.  At least the oposition would know that we are waving the white flag in front of our goal.

Yes, we really have just conceded SEVEN goals, in one match, at home, in front of a sell out crowd.  Not, as you may have thought, against the mighty Manchester United in the premier League, nor Liverpool or Arsenal.  No, against that massive club from Essex, Colchester United, whose previous claim to fame is that they once won an FA Cup tie against a first division side.  The ignominy of it all!

There are three things that MUST happen straight away, immediately, without fail.

No.1 although it grieves me to say it, Bryan Gunn must resign.  He has no excuse.  It is his team (see above), he built it, the buck stops with him.  He is to blame for the most shameful day in the clubs history, not Roeder or Grant, their players have long gone.  He should attempt to salvage any respect and reputation he has left and leave.

No.2 Theoklitis should never again play for Norwich city. Woeful is not a strong enough word to describe his ineptitude. It is a great shame that the lad has had to move lock stock and barrel to England to find that he cannot crack it in the big time that is League 1 football.  Whoever it was that told him he could, and subsequently brought him over here, should apologise to him in person and pay his air fare home.

N0.3 Gary Doherty should be stripped of the captaincy and consider himself lucky to ever be selected again. You have to lead from the front! If you have neither the courage or, at the very least, the necessary skills to do so then you should not be given the job.

That done it leaves the club with one massive mountain to climb and begs the question "where do we go from here?"  It is way too late to start another rebuild, for another manager to come in and build his own team.  That leaves us two options, Butterworth or Crook?  You choose.  It has to be whichever one that can rebuild the shattered confidence of the football club, both fans and players.  As for those players, you have to ask if they are really up to the task.  Aside from the aforementioned duo you would have to hope so judging from pre-season performances.  The defence must be overhauled. Askou must come in alongside one of the youngsters Dumic or Stephens (let''s face it, they cannot do a worse job than Doherty/Nelson) unless, of course Sefanovic can be begged to stay. Spillane for Otsemobor seems logical too with perhaps a youngster at left back until Wiggins is fit.  The midfield was toothless and unimaginitive.  In should come Adeyemi, Hughes (although he is still an unknown quantity) and McVeigh with only Hoolahan reatining his spot.  The strikers are, in my opinion, blameless as they were given no service and therefore no chance.  Grant Holt did what he was brought in to do, bar score.  He chased and harried after a long lost cause and won many aerial battles and Martin fared no worse.  McDonald must start however as there is still no substitute for raw pace and the boy can finish the slightest chance.

As for the board?  What can you do?  It has been overhauled, they have chosen their man, albeit mistakenly, and backed him in his plan. Have they failed or has he?

Perhaps I have now got a little of the hurt out of my system and maybe now I can sleep.  I would hope that those who have caused my nightmare have had little sleep themselves.  They have many many wrongs to put right, not least the sleepless nights, abuse from friends and colleagues, and the tears of some of their youngest fans.  There are thousands of us out here, many of whom watched your shame at close quarters and felt it ourselves.  We pay our hard earned cash to come and watch you play.  I hope you read this!

I bid you all a very good night.

[/quote]

Just when you thought it was safe to go back to Carrow Road.

Melbourne Victory goalkeeper Michael Theoklitos poses for a portrait during a Michael Theoklitos A-League portrait session held at Birrarung Mar February 23, 2009 in Melbourne, Australia.  (Photo by Robert Cianflone/Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** Michael Theoklitos

Magnificent post Scoobs. As I said in my post yesterday evening I actually found myself laughing at our ineptitude, and that''s something I hope never to experience again.

Gunn really has to go. The fact that the clown in goal was lauded as "our number one target" when he signed tells you all you need to know about his ability to pick players, and the failure to make any change until nearly an hour (and a large number of the crowd) was gone betrayed yet again his total lack of tactical expertise.

Having said that, yet again we find ourselves castigating a manager, but who oversaw the appointment of Grant, Roeder and Gunn? We simply cannot go on treating the symptoms of our malaise while the cause continues to flourish. The fans who ran onto the pitch yesterday illustrated just how disgusted and hopeless many of us feel as we are fed the same bullshit from PR central ( which lucky player will get to tell the EDP tomorrow how they are going to give their all on Tuesday for their wonderful fans?).

Butterworth and Crook have to go as part of the clear-out. Crook for his role in bringing three dead-loss Aussies to the Club and Butterworth for his input into coaching the defence. Both sacakable offences and Gunn, well, just for being totally out of his depth and clueless.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

Magnificent post Scoobs. As I said in my post yesterday evening I actually found myself laughing at our ineptitude, and that''s something I hope never to experience again.

Gunn really has to go. The fact that the clown in goal was lauded as "our number one target" when he signed tells you all you need to know about his ability to pick players, and the failure to make any change until nearly an hour (and a large number of the crowd) was gone betrayed yet again his total lack of tactical expertise.

Having said that, yet again we find ourselves castigating a manager, but who oversaw the appointment of Grant, Roeder and Gunn? We simply cannot go on treating the symptoms of our malaise while the cause continues to flourish. The fans who ran onto the pitch yesterday illustrated just how disgusted and hopeless many of us feel as we are fed the same bullshit from PR central ( which lucky player will get to tell the EDP tomorrow how they are going to give their all on Tuesday for their wonderful fans?).

[/quote]

I woud assume that it would have to be Holt, Hoolahan, Martin perhaps or Cody.  The only players who didn''t disgrace themselves and would perhaps have the nerve to show their faces.  When, at last, the club deigns to make a statement it should be very interesting to say the least.

Just took up courage to view this site. Went to bed at 11.45 last night. Slept for a couple of hours and was up making a cup of tea at 3am.

Brilliant post Scooby. Couldn''t put it better. Like others I have to say that whatever the cost Crook and Butterworth must go too.

Crook''s players that he has brought in have been awful and Butterworth''s defensive coaching has been woeful. Gunn has continued where he left off last season if he had anything about him and cared for this club he would resign now.

I don''t know if it''s been mentioned elsewhere today but there was a cutting comment in The Mail on Sunday regarding Delia/MWJ''s attitude to any one approaching investment.

Never felt worse about my team but this thread has somehow comforted me a bit!!

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]A brilliant post Scooby but isn''t it sad that posters on here have had to write almost identical posts for far too long now.......[/quote]

You are of course, quite correct.  I was willing to give Gunny the benefit of te doubt over last seasonand the chance to build his own side but that chance has gone.  A defeat would have been a setback perhaps but not the end of the world, but this national humiliation and the worst defeat IN THE CLUBS HISTORY!!  cannot be allowed to pass without action, even that of the most dramatic kind.  Otherwise our inexorable slide towards non league football and a derby with Kings Lynn will become a reality.