Sign in to follow this  
Canary Poirot

Reasons to stay positive

Yes yesterday was a complete and utter shambles. It was another new low, and surely spells the beginning of the end for Bryan Gunn as a career in football management. But there are at least two reasons why we should not completely despair:

1. We have a big squad.

We could completely drop all 11 players from yesterday and field a completely different team of players, who surely couldn''t be as bad as the shower on show yesterday. And if we brought Darel Russell in from the cold, he would at least provide us with some confidence that he is a known quality at Championship level. We could therefore in theory field the following team:

Alnwick

Dumic     Spillane   Askou    Wiggins

Hughes   Adeyemi   Russell  McVeigh

Maric    McDonald

2. We have a lot of promising youngsters at the club, for the first time in about a decade. I''ve heard a lot of good things about Rudd and Steer our goalkeepers, Dumic, Stephens, Hebergham as defenders, Korey Smith in midfield and Adeyemi could be a real star. If we are to be successful in the long run, this group of players will need to shine.

Now all we need is a management team capable of getting the best out of them.

[quote]1. We have a big squad.[/quote]

All of it total crap

[quote]2. We have a lot of promising youngsters at the club[/quote]

Who we will eventually sell on before they barely get a chance here anyway.

No positives at all. FAIL!!!!

[quote user="Freebie City F.C."]And just how good do you reckon that lot are if Gunn thought he had his best team out there yesterday ?
[/quote]

Could they be worse.

You could have taken 11 out of the Barclay (Fairy in goal) and still got a better result!

[quote user="Freebie City F.C."]And just how good do you reckon that lot are if Gunn thought he had his best team out there yesterday ? [/quote]Think Gunn tried to accommodate Martin which meant pushing Hoolahan out far left. In fairness I would have done the same after Martin''s two goals. Thought Hoolahan played well yesterday but wide left is not his best position. McDonald looks like he can cause more damage than Holt - and I''m not sure Holt is as good as Martin. Gunn needs to look at some of his ''proven'' squad members like Korey Smith and Lappin and maybe Spillane to do some of the simple things, right.

I to think we should stay positive, it will only take a couple of games for Gunn to go and then we can get a proper manager to work with what should be a good squad.  The season starts when Gunn goes.

I think Martin should have come off at half time. Yes, he deserved his chance after Wigan but we were playing a different system and he clearly didnt understand what he was doing. Holt won some very good, chaseable flick-ons but Martin was always a good 10 - 15 yards behind him so had no chance of getting onto them. And, as has been mentioned earlier in the thread, it meant Hoolahan had to play restricted to the left side which in turn restricted our attacking ability.

Cody showed exactly what you need to do when playing off someone like Holt, make a quick run and give the targetman an angle to play you in. To play two bigger, slower forwards you need to move forwards as a team to maximise their effect- something we didnt do yesterday.