Sign in to follow this  
nycanary

Holt

It''s very interesting to read the posts. Such different views.This is one of the rare times that I got to watch the game on the telly and most of you didn''t.I thought Holty played better than he has been. He is starting to look more comfortable in the Prem and has gained some confidence. Having said that, I think that he deserves a place in the diamond formation but if we switched to a flat 4-4-2, he may still lose out to Safri.Holt had some good forward runs, solid defending, better control on the ball and didn''t give away nearly as many passes in the past.I''ve been ragging on him in the past but need to give credit where credit is due.

Holty has taken alot of unecessary stick lately. i too saw the game on french tv, and it appears that alot of his work goes unnoticed. another reason holty is an easy target is that he scores ****** all goals, and so when we aren''t scoring many (like now) he''s an easy target

[quote]It''s very interesting to read the posts. Such different views.This is one of the rare times that I got to watch the game on the telly and most of you didn''t.I thought Holty played better than he has ...[/quote]

ny canary

i completely agree with your points about holt''s improvement - for me holt stood out yesterday - but why was he up front with hucks, doesn''t that just make you wonder what is going on.  Are we really playing as we are just to accommodate holt in the team?  It makes me wonder.

Yes, he was at his best yesterday, but half of the team were at best mundane and ineffective because we are playing this defensive formation, what on earth hucks must be thinking - i am playing upfront with doherty (a centre half) and holt (defensive midfield)

we must go back to 442 at home at least, we are just chucking away valuable opportunities to score goals and win at home, vital stuff

yes, holt had a good game yesterday, but honestly he is not up to the prem - and as malky wasn''t deemed good enough, how can holt be?  We cannot keep the likes of mcveigh and mckenkzie on the bench at FCR, it is suicidal!! 

Couldnt agree more, it was without doubt his best performance of the season so far (although to my opinion still doesnt warrant a place in this team) I dont think he knew where he should be, I would much rather play Helveg as part of the diamond perhaps moving Safri further forward.

Where was it on TV?

I think we need a thread telling where these games are and how we watch them.

I know about the streaming games online.

The thing about Holt is although he does what he does very well, the qualities he brings (being "hard", making blocks etc) are essentially the same as a centre half, not a midfielder.  Playing someone so totally defensive as one of the middle two in a diamond is ridiculously negative (and you can''t play him as the back one because that player links the defence to the rest of the midfield and has to be a sharp passer.  So although Holt is great at what he does he is killing the teams creativity and isn''t really needed.  He does make blocks but most of those would still be made by another player in his place (Mullers for example, who is pretty tigerish in the tackle).  Holt may be useful where we are playing for a 0-0 draw but for a game like Saturday which was there to win (Villa were poor) he shouldn''t have been out there.

I''m willing to go under the assumption that I don''t get to see all of Holt''s contributions during a match. He''s incredibly hard-working...hey even the commentators against Villa said toward the end that they were impressed with just how much ground and work he covers. So, maybe more than any other player, we don''t notice the little things he accomplishes.

Still, having said that, it is touch and go on whether he is Prem quality. In general, most of our discussions revolve around the fact that we are missing 1 or 2 key ingredients in our team. Our defence is pretty sound. We know we need a striker. And after that it''s about maybe one more quality midfielder and then I would consider our squad as complete.

If we did pick up those two players, I think Holt would end up on the bench. I am very curious to see what Nigel does on Tuesday night. He says he wants to be competitive and so it might be likely that we''ll see the ''next-in-line'' team that he wants to try out and see if it works.