Sign in to follow this  
Lord Flashheart

Do I Detect A Double Standard?

I don''t mean this to be an attack on anybody''s point of view, only an issue I would like to get clear. [Y]When Delia infamously wandered onto the pitch that time to show her ''passion'', many posters were complaining that it shouldn''t have been allowed, that it was a disgrace, that that sort of behaviour shouldn''t be tolerated etc. Now, when two fans wander onto the pitch to show their ''passion'', many of the same posters are hailing them as club legends, as heroes of the cause, as loyal and ''passionate'' supporters. Thus, the issue I wish to clear up is this: why was it unacceptable for Delia to do it but perfectly ok for two fans to do it? I''d be interested to know what you think. [Y]

Delia did NOT need to do it, we were winning at the time. These to blokes DID, to get some sort of message at how fed up we all our. I am just pleased that they had the balls. What is most upsetting is why it had to come to them doing it...

No double standards, that day we were playing Man City in the premier league and she was sh;t faced, rambling, and attention seeking on sky.

These 2 however had had enough of 2 relegations in 4 years and took exception to us being 5-0 down at home to Colchester in League bloody one!!! 

Things were a bit different mate.

But surely the point was that it was unacceptable for her to take to the pitch in that manner no matter what she had to say. Unacceptable for her, but totally permissible for these guys?

[quote user="Fabregas- Poor Mans Ian Crook"]The two fans yesterday will get a ban for their passion, whereas Delia gets nothing. Thats the double standard.[/quote]Certainly. [Y] But I''m talking about the one which seems to allow veneration for those who ran on the pitch yesterday but criticism for Delia''s antics a few years ago. In essence I''m trying to figure out why people think that the former can be justified by the latter can''t.

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"][quote user="Fabregas- Poor Mans Ian Crook"]The two fans yesterday will get a ban for their passion, whereas Delia gets nothing. Thats the double standard.
[/quote]

Certainly. [Y] But I''m talking about the one which seems to allow veneration for those who ran on the pitch yesterday but criticism for Delia''s antics a few years ago. In essence I''m trying to figure out why people think that the former can be justified by the latter can''t.
[/quote]

The club rules do not allow supporters over the perimeter fence without permission by a club representative whilst the ground is open. There is no rule preventing Delia coming on to the pitch at half time doing her embarrassing thing. The two fans broke the law, Delia''s antics were just irresponsible.

Thanks CP! I admit I''m not overly familiar with the rules. [Y]So these two lads broke the law but that''s ok because they were being ''passionate'' and had a point to make. Is that how people see it?

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"][quote user="Fabregas- Poor Mans Ian Crook"]The two fans yesterday will get a ban for their passion, whereas Delia gets nothing. Thats the double standard.
[/quote]

Certainly. [Y] But I''m talking about the one which seems to allow veneration for those who ran on the pitch yesterday but criticism for Delia''s antics a few years ago. In essence I''m trying to figure out why people think that the former can be justified by the latter can''t.
[/quote]

The distinction is that Delia owns the club and can therefore, to a large extent, make her own rules. The two guys who ran on yesterday epitomised the total desolation and hopelessness which continues to grow within the vast majority of us, and they did it because it was the simplest means available to them to show how they felt. I don''t condone people running onto football pitches, but I do understand how people can feel such utter despair about what now appears to be the almost terminal decline of our once great club.

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"]Thanks CP! I admit I''m not overly familiar with the rules. [Y]

So these two lads broke the law but that''s ok because they were being ''passionate'' and had a point to make. Is that how people see it?
[/quote]

I''m sure that is excactly how people see it, but as a supporter you just can''t do that. If you condone this behaviour you might aswell allow dirink on the terraces, sit where you like, allow all sorts of verbal abuse resulting in anarchy on the terraces. I will reiterate when you purchase your season ticket you agree to abide by the club rules.

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"]I don''t mean this to be an attack on anybody''s point of view, only an issue I would like to get clear. [Y]When Delia infamously wandered onto the pitch that time to show her ''passion'', many posters were complaining that it shouldn''t have been allowed, that it was a disgrace, that that sort of behaviour shouldn''t be tolerated etc. Now, when two fans wander onto the pitch to show their ''passion'', many of the same posters are hailing them as club legends, as heroes of the cause, as loyal and ''passionate'' supporters. Thus, the issue I wish to clear up is this: why was it unacceptable for Delia to do it but perfectly ok for two fans to do it? I''d be interested to know what you think. [Y][/quote]I always thought the backlash about Delias rant was more to do with sexism - 25000 people being shouted at by drunk woman in charge - it helped reinforce other peoples views that we were a bit naff also.The two pitch invaders are ''one of us'' - if I could actually run and was closer to the pitch then I may have joined them.The difference between the two? - That we believe as fans we are more passionate and honest about the team than the owners or people in charge (football thing, not just us)

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"]Thanks CP! I admit I''m not overly familiar with the rules. [Y]

So these two lads broke the law but that''s ok because they were being ''passionate'' and had a point to make. Is that how people see it?
[/quote]

Seems to me Delia went out there thinking she was the Queen whose adoring subjects would bow down to.  The 2 guy s yesterday get a different response from the fans because what they did took guts. They put themselves on the line.  They made a statement that needed making. 

Had Delia gone out at 1/2 time yesterday to give the fans a verbal thrashing, I''d have been VERY impressed with her. It''s easy to be a leader when things are going well, not so much when you''re in Division 3 down 5 nil to your new local rival because your traditional local rival is in higher division mainly due to your own mismanagement.   Hell yah, if she''d been out there yesterday, I am sure there would be WAY more people giving her support today, but she wasn''t.  Those 2 guys were.  It;s only too bad they didn''t "accidentally" injure D''OHerty so we could appoint a real captain and not ever have to see his toe-headed bufoonery ever again.