Sign in to follow this  
Sideshow Tim

For the attention of Mr Bryan Gunn

Bryan

I know that you are a regular ''visitor'' to this forum. You may well be steering clear of area''s such as this today, due to the amount of criticism you know that you will receive, however, if you are ''visiting'' today please read on.

You are a legend at this football club and a person that will live in the hearts of many football fans around the country due to the way you overcome your tragic personal circumstances.

However, Bryan, it is time to take stock. You were given the job as Manager only because you took temporary charge of the team for the 4-0 win over Barnsley. To be fair, given the euphoria around the events of the demise of Glen Roeder, both fans and players would have been up for that game. My 8 year old daughter could have ''managed'' us through that win.

Most NCFC fans had reservations around you gaining the job full time, seeing this as the cheap option. You temporarily scraped us out of the bottom 4 of the Championship only to get sucked back into it. The performances in the last 2 games of last season against Reading and particularly Charlton will remain with me as the lowest point of my 33 years of supporting NCFC. As we all know this resulted in relegation to the 3rd tier of English football for the first time in 50 years.

You were once again given the backing of the board to remain in charge as it would obviously be too expensive to ''pay off''

Team Gunn. Ok, the supporters go along with events grudgingly.

You then make, In my opinion, some very astute signings during the summer break. The supporters, including myself, then get behind you. They see that the corner has been turned and that things are going to get better. Pre-season friendly''s go perfectly, the optimism is so high it''s blinding.

Then to the events of yesterday... The atmosphere before the game was electric the perfect day to show English football that we will return to the Championship at the first attempt.

What I witnessed was best described as ''CAR CRASH''. Given that you are a goalkeeper and you assistant a defender by trades, it felt like that there was no back 5 playing in the game.

Why did you not make changes at half time, we know it was too late but damage limitations must have crossed your mind. That poor goalkeeper must have wanted the world to open up and swallow him up, you should have at least have put him out of his misery and took him off. Should he have been playing in the first place as I have it on very good authority that he has struggled to settle in to this country and is very home sick. The reason you got in Alnwick is because you were concerned that Theo was not settling in as quickly as you wanted.

We know the final result and this has now taken over the events of our previous league game as my lowest point as a NCFC fan. I have to say that I actually cheered the 2 fans that ran onto the pitch yesterday, they were the ones of the 23500 home fans that had the balls to let their feelings known.

I feel embarrassed to be a NCFC fan. You are responsible for making me and 23500 other home fans feel this way Bryan, so have a little bit of dignity and throw in the towel. You are not cut out for Football Management. If things get any worse you will be remembered for officially being worst Manager in our history. Your CV was bad enough before yesterday without having the worst home defeat of the clubs history on it.

You have assembled, on paper, what appears to be a squad good enough to get us out of this league, so please now step aside and let them be Managed correctly.

Remain a legend Bryan, not joke

Yesterday was truly embarassing, but to sack the manager after one game would be daft.

Give it five more matches I say and if things aren''t any better then change it.

Had I made my organisation a national laughing stock in one attempt i would expect to lose my job.

Gunn has proved he is not a manager, how many more chances does he need. I''m not asking for him to get the sack, i''m requesting that he steps aside

Oh come on we were playing the team at the top of the league!

Gunn SHOULD never have been given the job in the first place.

Many on this site stated their opposition as did the meeting at St Andrews Hall.

Why the surprise now that he has  proven inept?

Brilliant post mate.

You still are a legend in my eyes, but if you take us any lower, then you will get absolutely loads of stick. I really don''t want that for you as you are a LEGEND, but not at team management. I felt that you did very well in the transfer window, as I feel you brought in the right players for the job (Goalie questioned?). But, you still need to manage them and tell them what to do, and I feel you are not quite doing that correctly. I will be very very very happy for myself to be proved wrong, but somehow I just don''t see it happening after todays performance. Please step aside, so we can get a fully qualified manager in who with this squad should be able to get us back a bit of respectability.

The amount of stick I am getting at the moment is unbearable, I don''t really care about that I just want my once great football club to get back where it belongs, and if takes losing 7-1 at home, then so be it.

As slideshow tim, said: Stay a legend, be remembered as a legend, not as someone who took NCFC down to its lowest point.

Please Gunny, you still have all my respect but even that is starting to go.

Most fans, have already had enough but I think 5 more games, and if results are not going our way, then please step down Gunny for the sake of the club & the AMAZING supporters.

Very good OP and * Norwich * reply.

It would be a ''knee-jerk'' reaction to relieve Bryan of his duties after only one game but I wouldn''t be too surprised if it does happen. A opening 7-1 defeat destroys all the '' feel good ''  factor that was beginning to emerge pre-season. There''s something really horrible about a defeat of such proportions, particularly when at home, and the fact that no team concedes seven goals in one game very often at all.

He now needs a very dramatic turn round in fortune very quickly indeed to save his skin.

What I can''t get my head around is the fact we are always on the end of good thrashings but we never seem to give them out!

This just baffles me, and points to the fact we are not ruthless enough but well liked.

[quote user="Bagpuss"]Yesterday was truly embarassing, but to sack the manager after one game would be daft. [/quote]

It wasn''t his first game it was his 20th.  He shouldn''t have been given the job in the first place, and after screwing up so spectacularly he''s beyond the point of no return imo.

[quote user="canary cherub "]

[quote user="Bagpuss"]Yesterday was truly embarassing, but to sack the manager after one game would be daft. [/quote]

It wasn''t his first game it was his 20th.  He shouldn''t have been given the job in the first place, and after screwing up so spectacularly he''s beyond the point of no return imo.

[/quote]

This is the point that needs repeating over and over again. It was not Gunnys first game just a continuation of last season following a 3 month break. The team were about as well prepared as they were for the Charlton game and the team selection baffled belief. Martin starts - MacDonald on the bench -why???

It''s still entirely possible that the players Gunn has assembled could be up to the job and something as simple as Gunn moving aside for Butterworth could work. But it''s surely obvious to anyone that Gunny doesn''t work.

What i dont understand is that everyone seems to think Butterworth could do a better job. Surely Butterworth and Crook are as much to blame as Gunn [:S]

Sorry to say it but Gunn is already no longer a legend in my eyes, he should never have thrown his name in the ring way back at the end of Roeders period in charge, when we needed someone with experiance to get us out of the mess that we were in.  Then for him not to accept that he was not up the job post Charlton, one of the worst performances I have ever seen, and now yesterday, sorry Bryan you are a hopeless manager and should go now for the sake of the club that you have been very well paid by for what seems like ever!

[quote user="Henry"]What i dont understand is that everyone seems to think Butterworth could do a better job. Surely Butterworth and Crook are as much to blame as Gunn [:S]
[/quote]

I don''t know if Butterworth could do a better job Henry but it''s entirely possible he could. I don''t think he could do a worse job, do you?

Everyone seemed impressed by the signings Gunn made and the squad he has assembled. If they are right then the problem is the way the team is prepared for the match and team selection. We were not prepared properly yesterday, Col U were and rolled us over.

If the problem is that the players are only good enough to lose 1-7 at home to Colchester then nothing can help us now and we better start looking forward to the 4th division.

[quote user="canaryfan68"]What I can''t get my head around is the fact we are always on the end of good thrashings but we never seem to give them out!

This just baffles me, and points to the fact we are not ruthless enough but well liked.[/quote]City 5 Wolves 2 . We were then relegated and they were promoted.As Mr. Greaves once said "It''s a funny old game".

Great post ST, Gunn needs to resign for the good of the club and needs to take Butterworth and Crook with him. We need an ourside manager and coach with no previous connections with the club, Boothroyd was my choice and still is.