Sign in to follow this  
Paul Spector

THE BIGGEST PROBLEM

IS CONFIDENCE

Pre-season we were fantastic. The players clearly aren''t useless. The thing is we just cannot deal with pressure.

Even for the first 10 mins yesterday we looked good, until Mr Otsemobor turned the whole afternoon upside down with one abysmal backpass. From that point on we totally capitulated, imploded even, and transformed into a bunch of no hopers. After that, nobody wanted the ball; the players all wanted to get outta there; and Colchester just grew and grew in confidence.

The main problem seems to me to be the mentality. Somehow we need to get a confident mentality into the team. What we needed yesterday was at 0-1, someone to rally the troops, get them to forget the score and just carry on playing irregardless of the freak goal.

Ok, people may have a poor game, but to not compete like that is disgraceful. If I were Gunny, i''d be getting a top sports psychologist in first thing tomorrow morning.

Maybe just maybe these players are just not good enough and if that is the case there are many more bad weekends ahead of us , dont rule it out, if you bring in a whole squad of free or very cheap signings from lower league clubs you are asking for trouble and thats just what we have got.

[quote user="Gunn Be Gone"]Maybe just maybe these players are just not good enough and if that is the case there are many more bad weekends ahead of us , dont rule it out, if you bring in a whole squad of free or very cheap signings from lower league clubs you are asking for trouble and thats just what we have got.
[/quote]

Is that what you were saying when we were beating Palace and Wigan?

Friendlies are just that, a kickabout that means nothing , defeat on Tuesday and i think you can safely put it down to crap signings.

Problem was over confidence.

You could see it in the warm up at the start of the game. It wasn''t the warm up of a team of players who were focussed, determined and knew they were in for a tough game. It was the warm up of a team living off the pre-season results, too casual.

Even the subs warming up at halftime, most of them just strolled around doing nothing.

Surely if you are over confident and you go 1-2-3-4-5 down that over confidence would vanish and you would start playing like the Premiership defeating giants you are ? sorry but i am not convinced and i expect many more defeats to follow.

The over confidence is what lead to zero confidence. Their focus wasn''t what it should have been and as soon as Colchester sliced through them the first couple of times that was it, all the confidence they had was shot to pieces. With the manager standing by clueless with how to put a stop to what was going on. Not for the first time Bryan Gunn looked completely lost.

[quote user="Gunn Be Gone"]Surely if you are over confident and you go 1-2-3-4-5 down that over confidence would vanish and you would start playing like the Premiership defeating giants you are ? sorry but i am not convinced and i expect many more defeats to follow.[/quote]Wrong. The over confidence is replaced by total panic & you run around like a bunch of headless chickens, which is what was witnessed yesterday.The trick is to get the RIGHT level of confidence, commensurate with your abilities & the ability of the opposition. Knowing your limitations is esssential; you can then make a plan to minimise their impact. A good manager can do this in a collective way, so as to overcome individual player deficiencies by operating as a TEAM.Thus far Gunn shows no sign of any ability in this direction.

[quote user="THINK BLUE"]IS CONFIDENCE

Pre-season we were fantastic. The players clearly aren''t useless. The thing is we just cannot deal with pressure.

Even for the first 10 mins yesterday we looked good, until Mr Otsemobor turned the whole afternoon upside down with one abysmal backpass. From that point on we totally capitulated, imploded even, and transformed into a bunch of no hopers. After that, nobody wanted the ball; the players all wanted to get outta there; and Colchester just grew and grew in confidence.

The main problem seems to me to be the mentality. Somehow we need to get a confident mentality into the team. What we needed yesterday was at 0-1, someone to rally the troops, get them to forget the score and just carry on playing irregardless of the freak goal.

Ok, people may have a poor game, but to not compete like that is disgraceful. If I were Gunny, i''d be getting a top sports psychologist in first thing tomorrow morning.[/quote]

I agree, the players certainly aren''t as sh*t as people make them out to be. I was completely confuzzled when I first heard the score cos I know we have decent players in our team.

They are obviously suffering from high anxiety they need to spend some time at an institute for the very, very nervous.Mel Brooks would sort them out.

They are supposedly PROFESSIONAL footballers and if they can''t deal with playing in front of lots of fans, then they should choose an alternative career and stop picking up their overly generous pay-packets.